Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #21 
Luimeril

aawww! i'm so sorry 'bout him! you tried hard, and i'm sure he knows it. :T

i hope whoever you get, thrives for ya. just be sure to rinse the tank in scalding water. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #22 
astridbby

I will be sure to use the vinegar and scalding hot water. I'm kinda iffy on the pimafix because I read up and it has some pretty strong stuff in it, and I'm wary about coming into too much contact with it unless I need to.

I just hope they let me exchange him at petsmart because I don't have the receipt anymore (Wasn't really expecting to have a problem with him I guess). I do have the little cup he came in and it was only a couple days ago. I'm hoping for the best you guys! Thank you all!
astridbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #23 
callistra

Sorry your fish did not make it :(

Sorry to disagree but vinegar is very good with breaking up mineral deposits and removing odors and does have some mild antibacterial properties but will not disinfect everything. Since your fish was in the tank with a deadly illness I would not feel comfortable putting another fish in it serialized with vinegar alone. I suggest bleaching in 10% solution. Soak for about 10-15 minutes then rinse very very well. Finally, once no bleach smell is present and you are sure you're done, fill up with more tap water and add some dechlorinator and soak some more.. rinse and again and out gas 24 hours. This will definitely make the tank safe again.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #24 
astridbby

Now you're scaring me! I rinsed everything in scalding hot water and vinegar. I scrubbed it all and rinsed the gravel and tank out completely. I let the solution and hot water sit and did it several times. I was afraid of using bleach, so I'd already put the new fish in there!

I added aquarium salt to the tank this time so hopefully that will keep all the nasties at bay, but I do have pimafix and melafix at hand so if I see Virgil start to act weird I will act! Hopefully because the fungi took several days to kill Icarus (with no treatment, and who knows how long he'd had it before) as opposed to acute columnaris which would have killed in hours

The antifungal and antibacterial treated water soaked into the tank for a whole night as well. So maybe I'm just overworrying. I cleaned everything. The heater, the filter, the tank, the gravel.

I don't want to lose another fish =c

Last edited by astridbby; 01-07-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #25 
Luimeril

i just use scalding water anymore. the water here, for some reason, gets over 100F, so there's no nasties in my tanks. o.0

i hope you have the new boy alot longer than you had the first. D: i just bought two new boys(and one's, strangely enough, pure red. o-o), so i'm freaking out over everything and keeping a close eye on them.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #26 
callistra

Okay. No reason to panic. It will probably be just fine, but just so you know I've bleached my tanks numerous times without issue. It really is very safe so long as you rinse properly.

I would not treat with melafix as it has an ingredient known to destroy the labrynth organ in fish and so they can't breathe. It's advised not to use on labrynth organ fish. Bettafix is supposedly diluted melafix (actually 1/5th the potency I believe but don't quote me). Also Melfix dosage is 1tsp per 10 gallons so half a tablespoon is 2 gallon is.. Well, 3 tsp = 1 tbs so you did roughly 1.5tsp in that 2 gallon so that's.. a lot.. I don't want to make you feel bad but since you're talking about possibility medicating new fish thought I should bring this info to your attention. 3 tsp per 10 gallon ratio would be .6 tsp per 2 gallon so basically half a teaspoon.

If you're wanting to hold something on hand that will treat actual columnaris as well as fuzzy fungals I would look into Kanamyacin (Kanaplex) by Seachem.

You don't want to leave salt in an aquarium long term. Certainly no more than 2 weeks.

Last edited by callistra; 01-07-2012 at 11:37 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #27 
astridbby

I used half a teaspoon for both melafix and pimafix. I didn't think I should use too much but I definitely did not know that it harmed the labyrinth organ. Before I use it I'll definitely dilute it next time.

And I didn't want to get the maracyn because I wanted to use both I and II but only found one. I thought it was a severe case (it was) and tried to do what I thought was best.

Because he's in a new tank and I'm not sure about the fact that there may still be some nasties in there I was planning on doing a 50% water change in 3 days just to make sure he's alright. I've heard different recommendations for how much I should change the water in my tank but mostly from what I've read it's said that it's harder for bacteria to flourish if I do more water changes. So I'm going to stick to that.

And while I read that betta's are sensitive to saline, I only put 1 teaspoon in there. However I didn't read anything about not keeping salt in there for just a week, is there any reason why you say that? I planned on changing the water often but I did plan on keeping the salt in there. I do want to err on the side of caution though because I really don't want to kill Virgil so maybe regardless of your response, I will only keep it in there for a week just as a sort of assurance that the Columnaris (or whatever fungal/bacterial disease Icarus succumbed to) is really gone.

Thanks for taking the time to answer =3
Old 01-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #28 
Sakura8

I second Callistra on the MelaFix, BettaFix, and PimaFix. I generally don't recommend using them as they are very easy to overdose and can cause harm. But everyone is different and if you feel comfortable using them, then by all means, go ahead as I have heard they can be very effective. It's all up to you, Astrid. :) Don't worry about your new guy, I'm sure you disinfected the tank very well. Scalding water alone should do the trick but since you added in all the other things, you're fine.

Long-term exposure to salt can cause damage to the kidneys.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #29 
astridbby

And I think my water got to 100 as well lol! The thermometer maxed out and then just kinda stayed maxed out so I couldn't read what the actual temperature it was. (my small thermometer only goes to 86). So I hope the scalding water was good enough. I'm trying so hard to make sure Virgil is okay. He is very active so that's a good sign.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #30 
Sakura8

If Virgil is healthy, then he has a good chance of fighting off anything that comes his way. :) You'd be very surprised to know that there is a lot of bacteria naturally in our tanks. There's a lot of the good bacteria that we want but there's also small quantities of the bad disease bacteria present too. It's just when a fish's immune system becomes suppressed, he gets sick easily. And just about anything can cause the immune system to become compromised. You did a good job, Astrid, and I know you'll do a fine job with Virgil.

By the way, I love their names. Do you like Greek mythology and literature?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columnaris, emergency, lethargy, sick, white fuzz