Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #1 
Xqwerty

First Time Breeding Bettas

So now, after my Betta's were done mating, I immediately removed the female and left the male with the eggs. On what time will the eggs hatch and I should remove the male right? Also should I start feeding them immediately or on what day should I start feeding them and what food? Also, how many weeks old should I separate them?

Thank you.
Xqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest you read the stickies on this section. The basics are all covered there.

The eggs should hatch in 24-48 hours if you have them in 82F. About 3 days later the fry will become free swimming. Then you can remove the male and begin feeding them. You separate fry when they start to become aggressive - usually about 8-12 weeks.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #3 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqwerty View Post
So now, after my Betta's were done mating, I immediately removed the female and left the male with the eggs. On what time will the eggs hatch and I should remove the male right? Also should I start feeding them immediately or on what day should I start feeding them and what food? Also, how many weeks old should I separate them?

Thank you.
I really suggest you read into the things you are doing more before you take action. Next time, be sure you know what to feed, as many of the foods you feed fry need time to reproduce, and make sure you know exactly what needs to be done and at what times. Breeding is much harder than people put it out to be, and shouldn't be done unless you have a goal in mind. Breeding for the sake of breeding isn't such a great idea (not that I'm saying you're doing this).
It's just always best to know everything before hand, so you don't end up with your entire spawn failing. It's happened way too many times before, that I've seen, due to people not doing their research and thinking ahead.

As Indjo stated, 24-48 hours is the hatching period.
They should have infusoria in the tank (these are microbes that live on plants and in the water- so you will need live plants for this). The fry will eat that up until 2 weeks old. But you will also need to supply a high protein diet, such as microworms, bananaworms, vinegar eels, and baby brine shrimp. They cannot eat pellets, and rarely eat dry foods.
They should be in a 10-20 gallon with daily water changes at 2-3 weeks old. I wouldn't change the water until they are about a week old, and then start doing more and more heavier water changes.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote