Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #1 
rawscientist

Question New owner with beaten fish

Hey! I am new here. I joined this forum cause I unfortunately don't have an active forum for betta's in my country. I have a question:

So I have received a Betta fish from my boyfriend and he told he was a bit beaten up by the elders he stayed in the tank with at the Pet Shop and that I shouldn't worry. He seems very happy and friendly, however his fins are really really chopped and he doesn't have such huge fins as I have seen on a regular Betta. They are pretty small and he doesn't have the typical long flowey fins like every Betta.

Is there something I can do to speed up the process of growing his fins back? And is it necessary that every Betta to have the extremly long flowey fins?

He is still a "kid" and living in a bowl with some plants however I plan on getting him a bigger tank when he gets a bit older, and some gadgets to measure water temperature and some "living" food.

Thanks again
rawscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #2 
chrissylee13

hi! i'm glad that you're worried about your new fish! some pictures of him may help to better diagnose. but i would suggest a protein rich diet. plenty of water changes. and if possible to find a heater for him.

what size is your bowl?

and one of my bettas doesn't have those pretty fins that most do. he also isn't doing very well though. this is a picture of him. his name is Curly.
Attached Images

chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #3 
rawscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissylee13 View Post
hi! i'm glad that you're worried about your new fish! some pictures of him may help to better diagnose. but i would suggest a protein rich diet. plenty of water changes. and if possible to find a heater for him.

what size is your bowl?

and one of my bettas doesn't have those pretty fins that most do. he also isn't doing very well though. this is a picture of him. his name is Curly.
Hey. Thanks for your reply I will take a high quality picture of him tomorrow and post it. I planned on changing his water every 2 days. He eats like crazy I only feed him twice a day.
I hope your fishy will get better soon. My fishy's name is Charlie Sheen.
What makes me kind of happy is that he is very active, happy and responds well. I put a mirror in front of him to see what he does and he stared at himself for 2 minutes and the next 3 minutes he tried to chase the "other fish".
The bowl might be around 3-4 litres or so but I wanna get him a big one. Hopefully he won't stay in the bowl for long.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

His fins will regrow, just keep the water very clean. And if you can get ahold of some aquarium salt (NOT table salt) that will help fight off any infections. Also if they sell Stress coat, that will help with fin regrowth. I use it as a water conditioner since some of my males like to bite their fins

A heater is also a good investment, depending on where you live. But for a heater you would need at least 2 gallons of water.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #5 
rawscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
His fins will regrow, just keep the water very clean. And if you can get ahold of some aquarium salt (NOT table salt) that will help fight off any infections. Also if they sell Stress coat, that will help with fin regrowth. I use it as a water conditioner since some of my males like to bite their fins

A heater is also a good investment, depending on where you live. But for a heater you would need at least 2 gallons of water.

I will surely get him a heater. The question is:
Are 2.5 gallons of water = aprox 10 litres perfect home for just one betta fishy or too low or too high?
I don't think I have Stress Coat where I live. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I will surely get him a heater. The question is:
Are 2.5 gallons of water = aprox 10 litres perfect home for just one betta fishy or too low or too high?
I don't think I have Stress Coat where I live. Any other suggestions?
opinions vary, but in general, most people will say they need at least 2.5 gallons to be happy. I have used everything from a 1 gallon up to a 20 gallon. Bettas like tanks that are long as opposed to high.

If you can't find stress coat, that's ok. I use it because it has aloe and that helps fins regrow. However, the fins will regrow without it. Just keep the water clean and keep an eye out for fin rot.

I'm not sure what other products are similar to it.

oh and does he have a place to hide? Like a little cave or something.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #7 
rawscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
opinions vary, but in general, most people will say they need at least 2.5 gallons to be happy. I have used everything from a 1 gallon up to a 20 gallon. Bettas like tanks that are long as opposed to high.

If you can't find stress coat, that's ok. I use it because it has aloe and that helps fins regrow. However, the fins will regrow without it. Just keep the water clean and keep an eye out for fin rot.

I'm not sure what other products are similar to it.

oh and does he have a place to hide? Like a little cave or something.
He does have some sea shells and some plants and he loves to hide in those. Hopefully tomorrow I will get him a small castle or something better.

He is very happy and curious and apparently likes to tease my curious cat by showing off. I also got him a lid so he won't jump out. It doesn't block air
Old 01-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #8 
tpocicat

Welcome to the forum. With loving care, I'm sure he will grow back his fins and be beautiful.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #9 
rawscientist

Hey I came back with a piccie. Meet Charlie Sheen.

What kind of Betta Fish do you think he is?
The picture was taken in the mirror so he is really much smaller. He was pretty angry and wanted to nohm nohm "the other fish" in the mirror

Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #10 
Tobythefish

Right now he looks like a Plakat betta, but it may just be because he is recovering from fin rot. He's pretty!
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote