Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #1 
UpgradeSherman

Need some help ASAP(Fin Rot)

I bought some T.C. Tetracycline today, to treat my Betta Rain. Now he's in a two gallon tank now, and I was curious as to how much I should put into the tank. Also, is it ok to feed him, while the treatment is in there?
UpgradeSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 
Luimeril

you don't really need meds for fin rot. have you tried just clean water? like, change the water every day or every other day, see if it clears up.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #3 
UpgradeSherman

Yeah, I change it every 5 days(usually on my first day off of work) and ever since then I've done it every 2 days. I'm actually about to change it as we speak....... or type? LOL. Thank you for the quick reply as well!
UpgradeSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #4 
Saikisen

My bettaa also has fin rot. What I did was place it in a half gallon tank and add in a half tablespoon of aq. Salt along with a few drops of stress cost + as others recommended to me. I just started treating him today, but hopefully he gets better soon.

Good luck to you as well:)
Saikisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #5 
Pataflafla

Try 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt (Dissolve before adding) and 100% daily changes. You'll want to redose the salt with every water change. It's best to only continue this sort of treatment for 10 days maximum before you start running the risk of internal issues.

So, continue the aquarium salt method until a day or two after the rot is gone or until you reach 10 days.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #6 
LittleBettas

With my first fin rot case, Finn, I used 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon of water (kept him in a 1 gallon with 100% daily water changes) and kept the AQ salt for 1 week before switching to regular conditioned water, my second case of fin rot, Sammy, I used 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon of water (was kept in a floating betta cup for one week before being put into a 2 gallon holding QT tank with 100% water changes) for the first day, then went to regular conditioned water, I think his fins grew back faster and cleaner

LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #7 
AudBetta

Hi all:)

I'm psyched because I've stopped my female betta from flashing and rubbing (she had ich)
I'm still treating her for ich just in case.
But I've noticed she has fin rot now (her fins were clamped but now she's fanning out more) it's probably from rubbing on things so much and hanging out on the bottom so much. Im already doing 75% water changes daily and adding 1/2 tsp aquarium salt 2x a day (dissolved)

Tomorrow I was thinking of doing a 100% water change rinsing the gravel and tank. I also want to set her tank up again, put live plants back in and her pet snail, etc. is it too soon? I was also thinking of saving out 10 cups or so of her tank water so it's not such a drastic change, good idea?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated? :)
AudBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #8 
AudBetta

Oh, she's in a 2.5 with sponge filter and aqueon mini 10w heater (new)
I've had the filter out while treating her for ich but would love to put it back in. Shes been better for about a few days now and I treated her with jungle ich guard II, daily water changes 50-75% and aquarium salt. It took about a week to see results...shes better:)...but now she has fin rot...sigh
Old 01-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #9 
LittleBettas

AudBetta:
To get the most help possible, you really should start your own thread in the Emergancy section.... though honestly I think your problem is your tank is over stocked (snails realy should be kept in a min, of 5 gallons as they poop and pee a LOT) and you may need to do more water changes

When making the thread, please also include this to help everyone better help you:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #10 
AudBetta

Okay, thanks:)