Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #1 
bettaluvr

New Betta breathing heavy

Just got "Romeo" about a week and a half ago...he's a good looking Red halfmoon Betta I bought at a local Petco. He seemed to be fine in his little cup when I got him. He was by far the best one they had and after not having a Betta for about the past 20 years I just had to get him. When I was a kid I used to breed them and go to shows, I don't ever recall having one constantly breathing heavy. I noticed him doing it the day after I got him..I tried kosher salt in his water and he seemed to get better after a few days, I then moved him from his 1 gallon to a 2.5 gallon so I could use a slim heater(water temp is around 75) In his new tank with the white/gray gravel he kept seeing his reflection with the light on so I switched to some black gravel, the next day he started breathing heavily again worse then before and hasn't stopped. I've given him two 25% water changes the past couple days, added kosher salt and a piece of clout with no success. He is eating betta bites and some live baby brine shrimp. His tank has some live plants and new betta bulbs, I used half his water from the 1 gallon and half bottled water and some stress coat when I moved him. What else can I do..I don't want to lose him?
bettaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #2 
bettaluvr

This was him when I first put the new gravel in.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #3 
bettaluvr

One side of his gil does look inflamed now
Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #4 
bettaluvr

Just got home and he's gotten worse...breathing really heavy now. I lowered his tank water to half.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #5 
bettaluvr

I put him back in his cup with 1/2 tap water I've had sitting in a gallon past 2 days heated to 75 and 1/2 his tank water. I added 2 drops of stress coat and a few sprinkles of kosher salt. I'm floating him in his 1/2 filled tank so he stays warm. If he makes it through the night I might take him back to petco tomorrow..I really don't want to because I'm sure he'll die there.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #6 
callistra

Well.. since you haven't gotten any response I will tell you what I know..

Why are you taking him back? They won't treat him.. they probably won't take a sick fish back after so long either.

Can the heater warm higher? 75 is chilly. Raise to 78 slowly.

I would also say just make sure you're using the correct amount of dechlorinator.. .5-1ml per gallon of stress coat. Prime works in drops but stress coat requires more.

You might actually try some epsoms instead of the nacl.. help with leaching out any toxins or fluid build up that might be attributing to his heavy breathing. Otherwise I don't know.. your ph doesn't swing or anything does it? I know mine is a constant battle because it is not the same from the tap as if its left to sit and I've made the mistake of shocking my fish pretty bad before I figured it out. (pet store is very mistaken about their RO water being stable)

Last edited by callistra; 01-06-2012 at 11:43 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #7 
earthworm88

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
What a handsome boy he is! Love the finnage and the color.
I think he will have a better chance to live a good life if you keep him then to return him to Petco. So let's figure out what is wrong in his environment so that he can get better. Please fill out the questionnaire below as much as you can, fill out what you are doing now, or what you are planning to do etc.

Before we get the info back, I just would like to stress that since we don't really know what is wrong with him besides the heavy breathing (which could be due to a few causes), we should just give him clean warm water very day without adding anything else in there until the diagnosis is confirmed. From the info you have provided so far, have you been using bottled waters? Did you quarantine the live plants prior to introducing to his tank? Besides breathing heavily, is he sinking or floating? Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #8 
bettaluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Well.. since you haven't gotten any response I will tell you what I know..

Why are you taking him back? They won't treat him.. they probably won't take a sick fish back after so long either.

Can the heater warm higher? 75 is chilly. Raise to 78 slowly.

I would also say just make sure you're using the correct amount of dechlorinator.. .5-1ml per gallon of stress coat. Prime works in drops but stress coat requires more.

You might actually try some epsoms instead of the nacl.. help with leaching out any toxins or fluid build up that might be attributing to his heavy breathing. Otherwise I don't know.. your ph doesn't swing or anything does it? I know mine is a constant battle because it is not the same from the tap as if its left to sit and I've made the mistake of shocking my fish pretty bad before I figured it out. (pet store is very mistaken about their RO water being stable)
Well I woke up this morning to find Romeo in his cup...alert, swimming around and breathing much better!

I was taking him back to petco because he's been doing this for almost the whole 12 days I've had him...they said I have 15 days to return him for another one but like I said I really don't want to because I like him. The temp is between 75-77.
So I've come to the possible conclusion something in his tank is poisoning him which is why I quarantined him to his cup

His original tank consisted of gravel, a bamboo plant and 3 betta bulbs...he started breathing heavy the next day I treated him with a couple 50% water changes and kosher salt and he got better I then got a bigger tank and some more plants I got from petco that were in the same tank as the bamboo plant he was fine... a day later I changed the gravel out(rinsed of course) with a 25% water change and that's when he became worse then ever so I just don't know what it could be.

Last edited by bettaluvr; 01-07-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #9 
bettaluvr

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75-77
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta bites, frozen/live baby brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? several times
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? n/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? yes
When did you start noticing the symptoms? day after purchase
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes water changes, salt and quarantine
Does your fish have any history of being ill? dont know
How old is your fish (approximately)? dont know
Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #10 
bettaluvr

btw those new plants I got(you can see in the pick) aren't doing well either, possibly from extra salt or some other reason as I 'm sure they're getting enough light as well as those betta bulbs which aren't sprouting. The bamboo plant seems fine.