Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #1 
AudBetta

Treating for fin rot after ich recovery

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Was 70-74 but installed new 10w mini heater yesterday.
Does your tank have a filter? Sponge filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? As of today, yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? There was one small snail
And one bigger snail they are in a qt tank now because I was treating Freda for ich.
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari betta bio gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two pellets in the morn one at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Because of ich, daily.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? 1/2 tsp aquarium salt, dissolved. Stress coat. And for the ich jungle ich guard II.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Everyday. If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 - .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 tank not cycled do to frequen water changes and ich medication
pH: 7.4
Hardness: not tested
Alkalinity: not tested

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Paler, horizontal lines, but still has some of her pretty colors
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She's improved, not rubbing, darting or flashing anymore, fins not as clamped
When did you start noticing the symptoms? For fin rot, Yesterday because she's relaxed her fins
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Still doing partial water changes, aquarium salt, dissolved 1/2 tsp 2x a day, stress coat
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just the ich
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure I've only had her a couple weeks.

She's improved a lot. Hoping the new heater will help. I want to do a 100% water change tomorrow (I'll take her out). Rinse gravel and put filter back in and maybe a couple plants. Unless I should treat the tank and freda with jungle ich guard II for a couple more days? What should I do?
AudBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

How long have you been treating with AQ salt?
I would make sure the ich is gone before treating for finrot (thats easy), try not to mix meds (jungle and salt), I would go by the directions on the box for how long to treat her for the ich, if you think she still might have it, one more day shouldnt hurt, but you don't NEED to use AQ salt to treat for ich, all tha really does is prevent infection, 100% daily water changes should help with that... and with a 2.5 gallon tank, all you really have room for is 1 betta.... maybe a fw shrimp, but snails are really to much for the bioload....
the heat, plus contant water changes, should help with the finrot, but because she had ich, her immune system will probably be low, just try to keep the water as clean as possible and make sure to acclimate her to the new water slowly... it sounds like you are doing a great job caring for her!
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #3 
AudBetta

Thanks, im trying so hard! I was so happy when she stopped tweaking out.
I've been doing aq salt and jungle ich guard II together. I read somewhere else to do that. Its hard to know what info is correct, a lot of it conflicts.
I'll treat her one more day, tomorrow for ich. Then on Sunday I'll do 100% water change and put her filter back in. I'll slowly introduce her plants back into her tank over the next few days. I know snails poop a lot but I think I'll put it back in her tank after im sure shes recovered. I might be able to give the snail to friend who has a 55glon tank. I'll keep a close watch on the levels if I do put the snail back in.
I feel better knowing she isn't spending so much time on the bottom anymore. That will help her fin rot.
Thanks again:)
Old 01-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

Awesome
Sounds like you have a plan and good luck!
Make sure you post updates!!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #5 
AudBetta

I will thanks:)
I'm waiting for her to look her beautiful self again and I'll take some pics!
Im hoping she's out of the woods and things will only get better from here!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #6 
AudBetta

Freda

This is Freda, she was flaring her fins at her reflection and it's been forever since she had her fins nice and stretched out, I had to take a pic. I was shining my flashlight on her for lighting so it kinda washed her colors out, the blurry one shows her fin colors better. I want to get a really good picture for my profile pic

But you can see how the edges of her fins are ragged
She seems to be getting better everyday, so I hope that her fins will start to repair.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #7 
LittleBettas

Wow, shes gorgeous! I hope she makes a full recovery!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #8 
AudBetta

I did the 100% change today. I was worried it would stress her out cupping her but she did great! She had fun studying the righting on the bottom of the plastic container:)
No clamped fins either:)
I introduced the moss ball back into her tank and filter. Shes gobbling up food no problem, I try to pick her out the smaller pellets.
How many days should I wait to introduce some of the plants. I have several shoots of anarchis.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #9 
AudBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudBetta View Post
I did the 100% change today. I was worried it would stress her out cupping her but she did great! She had fun studying the righting
^ oops I meant, writing
Old 02-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #10 
iceyrose

My little neacco has ick too...good luck with ur betta....I started his treatment yesterday with salt as well. I started with jungle ick guard for the 2.5 gallon tank. Now I'm reading that for smaller fish and weak fish to do half a dose wtf ?confused,......did 100% water change and removed his stoned and carbon filter sytem...his eyes are slightly cloudy today...any advice here? I used 1gallon of spring water and half gallon of fauset water with betta safe tetra brand 7drops per gallon and halfteaspoon of aqurium salt. 7drops per gallon of ick guard. Brand new heat and temps stedy @80-81'
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote