Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #11 
BettaMiah

I love Guinea pigs but whenever I pet them I get itchy and get like a rash. :/ Oh wells. Its tots worth it. I'll still own them someday.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

o_O b-catches up reading- lol... hmm...I was told to get pine shavings...the pet store manager (who also gave me a 5 dollar discount on her =D) gave me some pine for now, I got her some Hartz brand mixed food - and avoided ANYTHING dyed... And fresh broccoli for vitamin C =D I named her Honey. :p

Aaaand the very sad news... Riddle the betta died from the SAME disease as Maine, and he too was a blue betta -.- SHADOW BETTER NOT DIE
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #13 
Luimeril

pine isn't good at all. i own a bunny, so i know SOME things. x:

get Aspen, or care... what was it? carefresh? whatever, that's made out of recycled papers. :V just like with bettas, rarely listen to pet store people about critter care. chemicals in pine can cause infections when they chew on it. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #14 
Sena Hansler

o.o can it cause allergies? my little Honey did have a little bit of crustiness on her one eye when I got her, then I brought her home.... today although she is very active (lost her once for a second, when she hid in my bath-robe sleeve x.x) doesn't "sound" sick (the cute sounds don't sound off I mean) but her eye was red, and watery, and now she is sneezing occassionally :/ She has eaten though (refilled) o_O

I dont exactly have 90 for a checkup plus 50 some for meds -.- I'm trying to rule everything out. I'm also going downtown for a better cage, bowls, water bottle etc. However... I may mention to the store she is sick. Because she came sick... Which is sad :( poor Honey
Old 01-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #15 
Luimeril

nah, if i'm not mistaken, it can cause respiratory issues, and something else. i know it's expensive(i have a bunny, and we gotta buy the BIG bags of bedding, or go back and buy small ones every week. o-o), but that's what you get yourself into when you buy peegs and bunnies. they're NOT easy pets to care for. i had to research what veggies and fruits were safe for Mocha, and it gets expensive after a while. VERY expensive. add in the specific foods for them, chew toys, water bottles, hay.... it adds up FAST.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #16 
HOTPOKKIT

Dude, pine can kill small animals in a relatively short amount of time. Not only do the volatile oils cause respiratory distress, infection, and failure in pretty much anything smaller than a Shetland Pony, it also increases liver enzymes and throws the entire body off-kilter.

Also-- can't afford the vet? DON'T get the pet.
HOTPOKKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Pigs aren't a weekly "send to the vet" creature. That much i know, by talking to guinea pig owners here in town. They ARE generally easy to care for as long as you keep their area clean and dry (as I do), feed them properly (I got fresh veggies and food for her), water is clean each day (again as I do) and there is enough space supplied for roam, and you let them out of the cage each day (which...I do)

I've heard of cedar being a 100% no-no... The store gave me pine with her -.- aaand...I'm just...gonna go throw it away now.. -does so- o.o And thank you for reminding me who else I forgot to add to the list... Also it doesn't help she came sick. I may bring her into the pet store, the manager and his wife are pretty good with helping a customer when the customer receives a sick animal, such as a guinea.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-07-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #18 
Luimeril

you wouldn't think that about them, but it IS good to send smaller critters to the vet. spaying and neutering them is good, too.

Mocha is scared to roam. >.>; i tried. so, i bought a pen that we fold out and let her hop about in. :V

check out that website someone linked you to on page 1, and do lots of research on your own. they CAN be easy to care for, but you gotta be willing to dish out money.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #19 
HOTPOKKIT

Doesn't matter. If an animal is sick, it needs care. I hauled 2-week old baby gerbils to a vet-- spent $90 on those little suckers. They may not need vaccines, but they DO need to be treated for illness.

Please, never impulse buy a life ever again.
HOTPOKKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Of course :) I can get lots of stuff, generally for cheap because 1. not the pet store and 2. I know how to look around :p And I have been told at least a yearly check up.

Also I dunno if I run the risk (drat! if I do) but she was housed with a sister, and an older male.... -.- if she is about 2 months... D: is there a chance for her to be pregnant? if so my goodness... lol. I won't neglect her either way anyways :)

I also found out vets sometimes apply a payment plan, for people who happen not to be made of money

And HOTPOKKIT She, wasn't really an impulse buy. I had everything ready, I did some research (all of which came to show cedar is bad pine is iffy, aspen is best) but again, she CAME sick. I have the food, cage, etc