Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #31 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm not 100% sure about this because my poor 50 year old mind is going but it seems like a girl I know who keeps every rodent known to man said you can use fleece blankets for bedding. I'll have to see if I can contact her and find out for sure.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #32 
Luimeril

join a peeg forum. i joined a rabbit forum when i got Mocha, and do NOT regret it! found out she was a mixed breed, and learned alot of tips(like shove some hay in a TP tube. she loves that!), and learned how to make her a happy bunny. :V
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #33 
betta lover1507

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Personally I never liked them. Give me a rat any day over one of those...lol...just personal preference is all. Not a huge fan of hamsters either. They are all cute and all, just not my cup of tea.
1+ ^ i owned hamsters when i was like 4 but always killed them but i really got into kittens and fish after that i held a guinea pig, it nice cute, but wasn't my thing
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #34 
Laki

@Luimeril my bunny loves TP hay tubes too! she's got me trained so I stick in a raisin or papaya and cut a few holes so she has a starting point! www.petrabbittoys.com has great homemade toys if Mocha likes sisal and wood :)
To the OP: The problem with pine shavings is that if they're KILN DRIED they are SAFE. But the cheap bags that most stores sell (often cheaply) are not kiln dried. They contain phenols which can damage the upper respiratory system of small animals. Most pet stores sell it and say it's great for odors etc. . . Truth is, they are in the business for money. It's cheaper to stock and sell harmful pine and cedar than it is to try to educate customers. If one small mom and pop pet store tried to inform their customers to buy more expensive kiln dried pine, chances are, the customer might ignore them and go to a larger chain store. Mom and pop stores are suffering enough as it is. And it's also true that the owners honestly might not know how harmful it is. I kept my old hamsters on pine and they lived 2 years too. Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
I know you already threw them out. Good for you. Education is a long term thing, I kept rabbits for over 5 years and I'm always learning new things. So don't take things personally, the comments made above are harsh and unnecessary :/
I don't keep my bunny in a small cage, she has a condo.. I never used big bags of shavings or bedding. I use blankets and rugs (I recommend rugs only if the pet is not in the habit of chewing it!!). I re-use newspaper in her litter box, I get them free so it's economical for me :) But I liked Yesterday's News in the litter box before. I don't think GP's are as easy to litter train but never use a cat litter (if they ingest it, they can get impacted intestines) or corn cob litter (moisture makes it mold).
Thrift stores are a good place to buy old sheets and blankets for them !! Acacia loves fleece blankets. I wash them in dye free/ scent free detergent :)
I know bunnies, but not so much about GP's.. I know they need vit C everyday. You can buy tablets made by Oxbow but they're full of sugar.. I don't know if you can feed straight citrus fruit to them for Vit C. And Yogies and other store bought treats are full of bad ingredients (at least for rabbits, who shouldn't have seeds). I would look into that a bit more :)
Finally, WHAT A CUTE GP!!!! The pic was adorable :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #35 
Luimeril

i love carefree~! it comes in different colors, and Mocha LOVES the pink one(i don't know if they can see colors, but she really likes it... or maybe i love the pink one. xD). but, it's pretty expensive. $10 for a small bag, while i can get a huge bag of aspen for the same price. x: maybe, if i can find a job, i'll be more willing to dish out that much for a bag that'll last two bedding changes, but right now, we're going for shredded aspen. x:

Mocha loves pears. she'll go crazy for a small slice of pear or apple. i researched many sites and made a list of fruits and veggies that are good for bunnies. :V

give that a shot, Sena. go on like... three sites, find a list of veggies and fruits your peeg can have, and treat her.
Mocha gets pears and/or apples a few times a month, and fresh romaine lettuce once a day, along with a carrot once a day(they ain't good for constant feedings, so just one carrot a day). she loves fresh parsley, but a dollar for a small bundle? :T pfft. she gets all the hay she can eat, and a bowl of kibble daily. :V she's a fat bunneh(nah, she's just a large rabbit. xD) becaue of the variety of foods. :3
Old 01-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #36 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm thanks, HOTPOKKIT. I have removed all signs of pine near her, and actually when I just got hom just now, (sorry Honey for doing this) I did disturb her sleep, but, just to check her eye. It's not as red, or watery anymore!! :o So, it's official, poor baby just happened to have an allergy -.-

I could not find any bedding other than pine, or cedar. So, I didn't get any. I may shred paper (I am an artist. I have tons of all types of paper... inlcuding plain white paper and lined paper), and let her have the towel o_O since she seems to go for soft fabric...

Can I give her a pear piece Luimeril, from "canned pears"? I found they can have pears, just in moderation because it's basically sugar >< so like a "very occassional sometimes not often treat I bought some because I love them. I also got her broccoli. she ate one piece -.-. She eats what I eat =D we'll get along just fiiiine

And I will definitely look up a guinea forum or something, and join
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #37 
Luimeril

i'd just pick up a pear from the store. canned fruits often have sugary syrup, which probably isnt good for them.

if you can, order some bedding online. it'll cost more, but it'd be worth it, imo.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #38 
Sena Hansler

ahh ok :) (then I'll eat 'em ) and I'll look online. I'm glad she looks better!! Now she's snoozing away upstairs in her towel o_o
Old 01-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #39 
Luimeril

aawww. sounds adorable! i love peegs, but Ma hates them. :T i had some as a kid, and they bit her. .-. not allowed ta have peegs no more. saw the cutest one at the pet store yesterday, though. it had the prettiest blondish fur, in the pattern a dutch rabbit has.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #40 
Sena Hansler

Oooo pretty =D yeah I could have gone with the light brown and white one... with red eyes... but I liked the white Honey has ^.^ and I found her sweet spot, behind her ears
I've seen a hairless guinea before... first reaction was "What is THAT?!" they actually are like little heaters, and still adorable, because somehow they are so ugly they're cute O_o

-reading- actually...dramaqueen the girl is right about fleece...apparently it is awesome for piggies.... usually ontop of towels, or newspaper.... o.o I have cheap red fleece that I won't ever make into anything.... and...and it's soft....she likes soft...

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-07-2012 at 02:39 PM.