Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #51 
Philnominal

Just skimmed most of the thread between where i posted to now. Forgive me if i missed something. If you are still worried about a pregnancy baby guinea pigs are born as basically fully functioning minys of their parents, down to teeth, eyes and hair (can eat solid food day 1). Honestly I just use timothy hay and newspaper, if you get it from the right places timothy hay can be pretty cheap but its gonna be more expensive in the small bundles a pet store has. Guinea pigs love spring mix/apples/carrots/romaine lettuce (DO NOT feed them iceburg) but this should only be given as a treat (to much and they will get runny poop), the majority of their diet should be hay and pelleted food (no seeds just like birds). Be very careful to pay attention to their health. Being prey animals they hide anytime they are sick until the very last moments of life. They do this for fear of looking sickly to preditors in the wild but happens to be something against them when they are pets. Also make sure they have plenty to chew and watch out for them doing things like pulling on their cage, if they damage their teeth in certain ways it could lead them growing in the wrong way which would mean youd have to start trimming their teeth. (have one guinea pig that was born blind and with teeth problems, it adds up if you go to the vet for teeth trimming trust me). I realize most of this is probably redundant information that you already knew but i wanted to make sure. :P Have had plenty of these myself. (was homeschooled and mom thought it would be a good project for us if we had breeding guinea pigs, 1 male to 3 females lead to a lot of baby piggys at the same time)
Philnominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #52 
Sena Hansler

Thanks Laki and Philnominal! yeah Honey has decided to hide herself in my soft fleece blanket... If she hides because she isn't feeling good (her eye) that explains it. Also I noticed she did not have chews in the store. I can get her some real wood (I hear it is okay for them) as long as....it is not...sap trees right?

-checks undr the blanket- o_O dark places are nice I guess...

Anyways, if she could happen to be pregnant (just as a precaution), what signs do I look for, and how does the diet change? I noticed she won't eat more broccoli x) I'll try a variety of stuff. Also my bf said there are lots of types of saline, so apparently I need to find out "which pure saline" which now makes no sense -.-

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-07-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #53 
Laki

http://www.renu.com/renu-sensitive-m...-solution.html.. This might be the stuff I bought for my bunny 2 years ago. If it is, the packaging is changed.

For chews, try willow bark and apple sticks. You can order them online, some stores carry them- most stores carry mainline things. Toys with sisal on them are good as well. www.petrabbittoys.com has some ideas for toys. All their toys are homemade. Acacia wasn't too fancy about the toy I got her but I have 2 friends whose bunnies love their toys!!
As long as the timothy hay is dry, the GP will trim her back teeth as she grinds it for eating. Some people like to feed fresh picked hay but Oxbow makes reasonably priced bags. I get a large bag (it lasts my 1 bunny about 3-4 weeks) for less than 20$. Every second time I buy hay I get Oxbow botanical hay.. My bunny eats that up in about 2 weeks! It's so fragrant and full of little dry flowers! It helps to mix something like that in the regular timothy hay to encourage a lot of eating!!
I know GP's are rodents, but if hay and trimming the back teeth is as important as it is with bunnies that go for it! Safe wood toys can be found almost anywhere in pet stores, they generally only trim the front teeth.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #54 
Sena Hansler

It is very important to trim a guinea's teeth just like a bunnies :o otherwise they end up needing to get put under and their teeth sanded down in the vet clinic (so I've researched, however) x.x And I have seen apple sticks! =D And I'll look for hay thans Laki I'll also look for Renu Saline Solution -found it- :p
Old 01-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #55 
Pitluvs

I have to second the no pine or cedar, Aspen is ok for GPs. Fleece is much better, I have my rats on fleece. If you needed to order online, try www.chinchilla.ca. I order all my rat food and I used to order my Aspen from there. If you order Aspen, tell me before you do and I'll show you which is the better stuff.

Also.. have you heard of these cheap GP cages?? I have made these for many of my animals. I just LOVE GPs!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #56 
Sena Hansler

o.o No. I have a thread asking for ideas if you wanna throw some ideas to me =D I like creating stuff. And cages here are 300.00 for a proper sized GP cage! Usually the second hand store has wicked awesome GP and other critter stuff, but not this time. So, fine, I'll make one I have an entire dining room to work with. It just cannot attach to the walls.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #57 
Pitluvs

Well the one I posted may cost you about $80 and it would be a great size for a GP :) Click the linkie and have a look see :P You can get the cubes at WalMart by the Rubbermaid containers/laundry baskets. Coroplast would be a home improvement store.

Would you believe, as kids, we kept a GP in a 10g tank? I always asked my Mom for a bigger tank, she always said no. My whole family tears up at the idea of it to this day... we totally didn't know any better. Pet store said it was fine. Buddy lived with us for 7 years though, and only I could pick him up. I miss that guy :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #58 
Sena Hansler

He lasted pretty long though And yeah... None of my tanks are up to MY standards for GP size x) I COULD use the 29, but that involves draining, taking everything out and moving the sorority to the 20 and Shiloh into a 10 and El Dorado into a smaller tank -breaths- whew. LOL.

And right now Honey just has my fleece blanket o.o she loves it. And... I don't use it. and it's clean. lol. So she can have it x)
Old 01-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #59 
Philnominal

Ya those cube cages do very well if you dont have to worry about a lid but if they get time to run around and stuff then they should be fin in something about the size of 17" x 29" though i wouldnt do any smaller. Bigger is always better though. Also if you put a shelf in dont put it more then 7-8 inches cause a fall higher then that and a guinea pig can get seriously hurt. They aren't used to bouncing.

Edit, for the signs of pregnancy basically they start to blow up an show it quite a lot. They have one of the longest gestational periods of rodents, only ones that compare are chinchillas. (both born as fully functioning minys and have even had baby chins escape a cage only hours old and fall 4-5 ft to the ground to just start running around on the floor. Now they bounce). Itll be rare to have them have more then 1-2 though i think we had one have 3 one time and while they can eat hard food they need mothers milk for a while.

Last edited by Philnominal; 01-08-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Philnominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #60 
Sena Hansler

Yeah I noticed my girl won't even do a small incline. I had her in a box while cleaning out the pine bedding in her temporary housing, and it wasn't much of an edge but she wouldn't climb it it's nice, actually. I shall look into the cubes...

a question (building stuff, I dunno though) is craft mesh a bad idea? I know they chew. I don't know if it is safe to make a little house out of.