Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #1 
Mexy52

Water may be killing my fish?

i recently went through a break up and moved and had to move my betta nursery to my new place. i moved to a trailor :( which i've never lived in one before and i know they have well water. it seems that ever since i've moved there my fish are dropping like flies and i thought it was the temperature since it gets cold in their easily so i baught even MORE heaters to make sure all bettas were nice and toasty at around 76-80 degrees...... i just can't help but notice that within a few days they would look sad, hardly move and have clamped fins. they would eat but eventually would show no interest. i've had so many of my beauties die and i had 2 males i had at my work (city water). they were fine until i wanted to breed them and brought them home and they died within a week and they were beautfiully healthy and fat at my work desk. i've now been scared and brought my three best males to work and they instantly look better (city water). they are all swimming around being more active, eating and the one i was more worried about is now flairing his fins open and he looks so much better. does anyone know if well water is bad? i asked my local ace hardware which has a large section of fish there. he said well water was preffered which is the only reason why i went with it. he said city water should be WORSE since it has all of those chemicals in it. i know my neighbor (my aunt) has well water and theirs has a high sulfuric smell (mine does not) but idk i'm running out of options and FISH. and i can't bring them ALL to work LOL i have too many. i love them all and i'm stressing out. anyone have more info to offer me? the guy at ace hardware kinda looked like he didn't know much...i go there all the time for their fish and the main guy that's there that is more knowlegeable wasn't there that day. i'm just so frustrated! :[

HEEEEELP
Mexy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems.....

I have well water and it has never been an issue, however, not all well water or water in general is the same....it can vary from area to area and even with the seasons......

How are you acclimating them to the well water from the city water

I would recommend that you do some test on your well water and see if it contains anything harmful, while we are limited to a degree with the our test kits-you can have the well water tested too but that can be expensive.
I would go ahead and test for at least-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and if you can test KH/GH, and heavy metals.
I would also do the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH on the city water-with and without the normal dechlorinator and compare all the numbers...

What kind if any additives are you using with the well water, any live plants, if so what species.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #3 
Mexy52

thank you. i just bought some, "medicine" liquids if you want to call it, to clarify the water if it's high in anything. i went to the ace hardware and found the enthusiast there. he mentioned sulfure COULD be in the water and considering i don't live in the nicest of all places ( :[ ) that doesn't sound hard to believe that maybe there is something in my water. i'm leaving my three males at work and see how their temperament changes throughout the week which i've already seen 50% improvement with this one day. the guy at Ace also mentioned that i could have a low amount of something but it's still not healthy for fish period even if it's in small amounts. and i do see some orange at the rim of my tub so i'm assuming there is something going on in it. he recommended that if the problem IS the sulfur, a way to get rid of it is to let a bucket set out for 24 hours and it just..... goes away? idk...sounded like a load of crap but i'll do research on it. i have a lot of tests to do :( thank you for the reply.

i also have to post a picture of a male betta i need help identifying. he's one of the three males i've taken with me to work and i have a facination for Dragon Scales and i believe he is a dragon scale....but his tail is .... awkward. i'll have to post the picture in a different forum. his tail looks like a mix between a veil tail and a plakat or halfmoon? idk i'll post it :P
Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #4 
Mexy52

as an update.... the three at my work are doing great and have never seen my dark blue dragon scale so vibrant and happy...he even built a bubblenest (but theres no females lol) i'm excited but on the sad note one more fish died today he was my purple crown tail :( he was still at my house. the danger zone :[ and a my female blue also died (sigh) SO FRUSTRATING!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #5 
wnppmy

Definitely avoid your water if that is the issue, infact until it's properly tested be careful using it as well, safety sake.
wnppmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #6 
WineDarkSea

Since you can't bring all your fish to work, can you bring the water home to them? Maybe see if you can fill up a bunch of jugs at work with the city water and bring it home to use for your fish.
WineDarkSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #7 
Mexy52

LOL i have thought about it. i have to get my car for it it's currently at the shop and i've been riding my bike.... sportsbike i mean. should have seen me ramming my fishes tri-tank into my backpack in the morning rushing once i saw another fish died yesterday LOL it barely fit and i didn't want the rocks to fall out and then i had to find places to put my fish and had one of them in a see through cup i originally bought them in and put him on the side of my backpack (in the bottle holder) LOL i'm sure that's the fastest he's ever gone 60mph. oh man....everyone at work couldn't believe i did that LOL but they are ALIVE that's all i care about. so taking gallons of water at the moment isn't possible...i may be able to fit one jug.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I was going to say... how about filling water bottles with the water? or yeah, a jug? If it is for sure the water, you're safer with getting town water
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #9 
Mexy52

which is funny because they say city water is BAD. lol oh well. water changes are going to be a pain (sigh)
Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

technically....city water has cleaners like chlorine and ALL conditioners neutralize chlorine, and other chemicals we add to our water to make it "clean" for us. Sometimes well water can be awesome - but other times it can be worse than city water... Chances are your well water is high in something (not sure what) which can cause problems with fish. Always depends on season, and where you are I'm not sure where you can get the well water checked... have you brought a sample into the place that has the fish section? He may be able to test it for you....even just for the normal ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc better than nothing.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote