Betta Fish Forum banner

Is this blue green algae or just normal green algae?

936 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
hellooo! my fish, rocco, used to have this crazy fin rot, so i put him in a QT tank to medicate for all that time. weeeelll the problem was that i completely abandoned the original tank (water changes). the light still went through its regular cycle. and i have no filter since its just a really large vase. he was sick for a good month and healed. so i guess during this time algae started growing. when he was completely healthy, i nuked the tank and put him back in his home. some algae was still on the plants but i didn't think it was a problem.

so now its been getting sort of out of control for my liking, and i wish i did something about it earlier, but we're here now so i'm really hoping its not blue green algae cause i know that stuff can harm the fish and plants (speaking of plants, they have been looking pretty crappy lately...)

sorry for the essay xD.
help, please?

thread for when rocco was sick & tank stats (it was nasty finrot!!):
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82933

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It doesn't look like BGA by the pic....does it smell, grow in sheets, easy to remove.....

With the slower growing plants its not uncommon to have some algae that grows on them-generally some species of algae is normal and expected in a container of water with both nutrients and light and it can be a sign of a healthy system, soften edges and provide food for microorganism, however, since this is a closed system we have to keep it under control by manual removal on a regular basis.....with live plants its a balance of sorts too....when you have it on the plants leaves it is important to get most of it off so it doesn't impact photosynthesis-small amounts on the tips of the leaves is usually not that big of an issue for the plant-some algae is easier to remove than others without damage to the plant.....

What kind of lights are you using-age of bulb, kelvin, watts and photoperiod and does the tank get any sunlight or any ferts added...

#4 ·
i'm really not sure what kind of lamp it is since it is just an office lamp but it goes on for 7 hours a day. its on a timer. these are the writings on it.

the algae is easy to wipe off with a wet paper towel on the anubias leaves, but for the java ferns and java moss its quite difficult to do. also, on the stems and rhizome of the anubias there is green algae (like the hard kind i suppose...its not loose like the ones in the photos. powdery looking?) thats what sparked my concern, since the loose algae wasn't like the hard kind.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.