Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #1 
JawsSharkBait

So many questions

so i bought an amazing red betta last semester to live in my dorm with me which has proven to be a great place (better then my house) since my room has people in and out and hes a very social fish. He just sits at the side of the tank where the most people are and loves to follow people around.

Unfortunately i didnt have to much money when i got him, so i was only able to get a 1 gallon tank which had a filter / light and such he seems to like it. I provided about a 1inch base of aquarium rocks (small) and some plastic red, yellow, and orange "gems" (don't worry i took the sharper ones out) he also has a plastic fake plant which glows faintly for about and hour at night, and tiny shark head (shark-bait) which he sleeps in.

im looking at buying a 5gallon tank which as far as i can tell is the same type as i already have, comes with a hood / light / filter. and ill buy a heater. Link here to the ebay page

is a 25W heater enough for a 5g tank.. its adjustable.
Liink to ebay page for heater

ill probably give my girlfriend my old tank with everything except the Shark head since Jaws loves it.

what should i get for the new tank. I was thinking the aquarium rocks, he seems to like pushing them around, and keeping the "gems". I'm unsure on the type of plants that are safe for bettas.

Also i have been feeding him Wardly betta food pellets but he refuses to eat them and will only eat if i crush them. they seem to be to big i guess? but i tried my roommates food and it was a small pellet which he still refused to eat. Not sure what to do

Thank you for the help, ive really become attached to Jaws
JawsSharkBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

That tank is a great size for a betta! :D Personally, (some may tell you the opposite), but it's best to get a 50W heater. When I had my betta, I used the Omega One Betta Food. It's supposed to be good, but my betta was sick and he wouldn't eat it. :P I'm not quite sure about Wardley, though. I don't know anyone that uses them. You should keep the gems and the shark as it sounds like he's grown quite attached to them! :D

Good Luck!
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Also, I've heard marimo balls and anubais are good for bettas! I'm getting a marimo ball pretty soon for my Guppy tank! :D
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #4 
angiessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawsSharkBait View Post

im looking at buying a 5gallon tank which as far as i can tell is the same type as i already have, comes with a hood / light / filter. and ill buy a heater. Link here to the ebay page

is a 25W heater enough for a 5g tank.. its adjustable.
Liink to ebay page for heater

That tank is 10 dollars cheaper at walmart.com: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258

And I agree with Maisy - a 50 watt heater is better for a 5 gallon tank. :)
angiessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #5 
NoahG

As far as food goes I'm a big supporter of New Life Spectrum -- if you're able to get to one, Petco sells it (you could also order from them online). They have a Betta formula as well as a small fish formula; if Jaws prefers his pellets crushed I would go with the small fish formula as they're tiny. They might seem a bit more, but the jars they come in are larger than any other Betta food jars/packages that I've seen.

Personally, I would also rather a 50-watt heater for a five-gallon. Ten-watts per gallon will be able to heat the water to the appropriate temperature at much colder room temperatures without straining the heater; even if it never has to work that hard to heat the water, however, it will be easier on the heater. Also a note: I've seen it said a million times that the heater is the last place to try and save some bucks brand-wise as it's such a vital piece of equipment and not all are created equally.

Here's a thread for heater reviews if you'd like: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82735

As for plants you can use live plants, silk plants, or any soft plastic plants -- a recommended technique to ensure they do not tear your fish's fins is to run them along a pair of pantyhose: if they tear that, they will tear fins. I've never done this myself, to be honest.

If you're considering live plants, here's a handy thread for those as well: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428

With fake plants, just a heads up: if you can bend them and they will stay in the position you bend them into, then they have metal in the "stems" -- you'll want to be sure that no metal is exposed before putting them in the tank. As far as I know, people have had luck with using aquarium-grade silicone in cases where the metal is exposed; if it's a new plant you bought at a store, you could also return it.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

-reads through- also recommend, if you want fake plants, go with silk, rubber (those are usually sold in walmart actually!!), or fabric. much better than plastic :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote