Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #1 
HatsuneMiku

spawning and grow out tank

so i've been doing a lot of research getting ready to spawn my bettas .. and the more i read and research the more i think that the spawning tank i got is too big ..

so far i have a 20L all set up and ready .. can they spawn in this? or should i get a smaller tank for them to spawn in .. and then when the fry are older then move them to the 20L?

or can i just spawn them in the 20L and let them grow out there?
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #2 
Gloria

You can use the 20L for the spawn tank.. I did my first spawn, but you will definetely need a bigger tank as a grow out.. I had 103 little fry in my 20L spawn tank that I transfered to my 55L grow out.. For my next spawn im using a 94L grow out :)
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

I would reccomend a 65L for the spawn tank. It will work a lot better. If it's a small spawn you can use the tank as the growout. I reccomend a 30 gallon (not sure how many liters :/ ) for a larger spawn.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

oh sorry for the confusion .. i mean the 20 gal long tank .. not 20 liters .. sorrie sorrie >.< ..
Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think a 20 gallon long would work.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #6 
Bambi

/The twenty long should be fine, giveyou room to set up hidey spots for the female and you have a longer period of time where you can just add more water instead of worrying about water changes and sucking up fry.
Just make sure you heater is ok in shallow water(mine isn't fully submersable but has to be mostly covered to work so it's a no go for shallow spawning) and you should be fine.

It's less stress full on the fry to just have them spawned in the 20 then to move them later i would think.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #7 
HatsuneMiku

=D thank you everyone for the advice!!

i was worried about the shallow water .. since most research i've done recommend using 10g tanks for spawning and filling it half way .. which would be only 5g's of actual water .. so would i still want to fill the 20g long half way and have 10gals of water while they spawn .. or would it be better to use 5gals of water .. having like 3in's of shallower water?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #8 
Bambi

I fill my ten gallon a third, not half, but it's to each their own on that,some spawn full.
yes, you can still fill it half full and spawn because it's a 20long, so it's only as tall as a ten gallon or so.

it'snot about how much water is in it,just the depth. they need enough to swim around but shallow water makes it easier for the father to retrieve eggs/fry and to catch the female.
lol short answer: Half is fine.xD
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Water amount doesn't really matter - I've bred in 2 - 25" of water. I've bred in 1L (.25g) - 25g. It all depends on the male's general health and character. As Bambi said less water depth makes it easier for the male - not the fry. For less active males, I use less depth and width while deeper and bigger tanks for very healthy, active and aggressive males.

You can use rather shallow (if heating isn't a problem) and later fill it gradually. With this method you don't need to worry about siphoning out water until the tank is full, giving fry a chance to grow a bit.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #10 
tpocicat

My first spawn I used a full 10 gal tank (I didn't know any better). My male did very well, until he started eating his babies that is.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote