Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #1 
Minxies

Exclamation I'm baaaaa-aaack~ and I have a new friend~♪♫

So. I haven't been here in over 6-8 months and I'm sorry for it D:
I'm a terrible member T_T
If you guys remember- I'm the young lady who has a masochistic fish that likes to rub against stuff and rub off his own scales with the rock on the bottom of his tank.
(He did it again by the way, when I had a skull ornament in his tank. I took it out and he's doing just dandy! Big, bright, and healthy.)

ANYWAYS! The reason I'm posting!

I have a new member to the household. Another betta-fish!

His story is a sad one... I work for Wal-Mart. MY LOCATION DOES NOT SELL LIVE FISH (Thank goddness)
However, last night I came up to the customer service desk, and I raise a brow. I see an all too familiar cup on the counter and I walk up.
Turns out, some father and his 6 year old daughter bought this betta-fish from a different store location outside of my city, and brought it back to my location for a refund.
STUPIDLY the ladies at the desk accepted it. (The heck are they gonna do with a fish when WE DON'T SELL THEM!??)

Immediately, I walked over, picked up the cup and looked at him.
The water level was very very low, there was a hairline crack in the side of his cup (hence the low water I'm guessing)
There were fragments of I think fecal matter at the bottom of the cup, poor little guy's fins were clamped, and from the look of it he had a SERIOUS case of bloat, or swim bladder issues. Immediately, I asked his price. They said five dollars.
I bought him on my break, and the first thing I did was try to feed him (stupid move with bloat, I know! I shouldn't have done it)
He ate the betta-pellets I bought, and I bought this brand of like.. betta-water? I looked it over, and it being the only thing I could think to use, I filled his cup with a little more water that was clean.

He stayed at the service desk for the last two hours of my shift, and I took him home.

I stayed up late into the night, keeping an eye on him. I put him in his own little bowl as a form of ICU.
He survived overnight! I saw him take 1 big poop already and he looks smaller than the ballooned body he had last night. These are the pictures I have of him now. (He looks a bit lopsided still.)

What do you guys think??? I'm scared his gills are looking a bit inflamed... But, I'm not 100% sure.
He's getting a bit more active, and he isn't floating at the top of the waterline anymore, he's actually able to dive down and stay under the water!

I'm getting ready to change his water out, and I've been treating him with Aq.Salt.

Any suggestions? Comments? Advice??????
(when he's doing better I'll put him in the other 3 gallon tank I have.)
Minxies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #2 
kfryman

Wow he is one lucky fish to be rescued like that, nice to see people doing that. His gills do look very red and inflamed, probably ammonia poising maybe (my fish died from that too, I'll post a picture, but his didn't look that bad. His cup had a lot of poop too.) I would just provide him clean water and AQ for the swim bladder for up to 10 days if necessary. Thats just my two sense maybe Myates or another experienced member can help you.
Attached Images

kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #3 
Gen2387

I don't know about th inflammed gills. My fish's gills look like that but it's his natural color, it freaked me out a little too at first. LOL! Keep an eye on it. Thank GOD you were there for that little fish, I'm sure when he's feeling nrmal again he's going to be a stunning little guy!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #4 
vilmarisv

I don't see inflamed gills. He sure is underweight which will make his head/gills look bigger.
I would feed him twice or 3 times a day and up water changes to get his weight up.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #5 
blueridge

That's awesome that you were able to save him!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #6 
Fermin

Awww congrats on giving him a nice new home. :)
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:10 AM   #7 
steftravels

Poor little guy. I thought walmart gave up selling fish. Too bad they are still doing it. It's funny that people don't get in trouble or fined for mistreatment of fish. They are animals too. I'm rooting for him!!! Looks like you are doing everything to mend him he's so pretty I hope he gets better!
steftravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I thought walmart gave up selling fish.
Only a few stores do not sell fish. My local walmart is the 2nd biggest in the country and they sell quite a few varities of fish - from bettas to dragon fish and a few kinds of shark looking fish. They are also the reason I have 24 bettas, felt sorry for the sad looking ones. well, some are from the evils of petco, but most are from walmart.

Quote:
AQ for the swim bladder
NO, it's Epsom salt for swim bladder. AQ salt is for outside the body problems like fin rot.

Swim Bladder Disease (SBD)/Bloat
•Symptoms: Betta has trouble swimming, maybe he can’t stay upright and can only swim on his side.
•Treatment: This is not a contagious or fatal illness. If it isn’t congenital (aka a condition that he/she has had since birth), then it is caused by over feeding or feeding the wrong foods. Bettas will typically recover after a day or two of Epsom Salt treatments (1-2tsp/gal) and fasting. You can help prevent a reoccurrence by switching to a better pellet food, feeding less and offering a more varied diet. To make it easier for the betta to eat and breath, you can make the water shallower. You can offer him/her frozen daphnia (sold at Petsmart) as daphnia will help him/her pass stool. DO NOT FEED THEM PEAS.

he is so skinny, Im not sure fasting him would be a good idea. I would just use epsom salt and water changes. Normally, if its SBD/bloating, I see results within 24 hours of using the epsom. I have one VT that seems to be prone to Swim bladder issues. Poor guy was trying so hard to swim on his side when I found him at petco a few weeks ago. 2 hrs in epsom and he was fine.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-14-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #9 
Laki

Congrats on the rescue! All the Walmarts here stopped selling live animals. I thought maybe it was Eastern Canada, maybe it's most stores in Canada? Either way, treat him up nice and he'll come around. I'm no expert but he looks underweight to me.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #10 
EvilVOG

any updates? how is he doing?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote