Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #131 
Sena Hansler

GGMR
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #132 
VikingPrincess

Finally got through the whole thread! Hahaha...rats to ferrets to cats to guinea pigs...

I would like a ferret one day,I spent months and months researching. However I am not sure I could get past the smell.

I used to have guinea pigs too. I had 5 of them. I think they are cute,but I doubt I will ever have them again. I had huge cages made for mine out of those cubes. I could never find coroplast,so I used table clothes for their "floor" and never had any problems with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
Not sure of exact brands but you can try finding corn cob bedding, I've heard of cotton-based bedding, if you can find something that is similar to carefresh (made from recycled paper or cardboard) that would be just as good. The big thing with pet care is to stay away from aspen and pine. Also, be careful with wood shavings, because some small pets have allergies to it. One of my girls did not care for wood shavings and would sit there sneezing.
No! I would avoid corncob! I had a rat die from impaction after he ate a lot of it. Plus it can get moldy pretty fast.

Aspen is actually quite safe and what I have been using for over 9-10 yrs now,with NO problems. I also occasionally use Boxo (a paper based bedding)...I only use that though if I cannot find aspen.

Pine and cedar are the ones to stay away from. They contain phenols,which are toxic to small animals and give them respiratory illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
ooooh, I had a rat named Thor too. It was a girl though. I know, I'm a weirdo. She was so pretty. She was gray and had a white streak that looked like lightening. She had one black eye and one red eye. I had to get rid of her though. I miss her.
Aw,a girly named Thor? Thats okay. She sounded so pretty.
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #133 
VikingPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
GGMR
Haha,yep. A term coined by rat enthusiasts! Such a serious infliction!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #134 
Sena Hansler

betta bug, GGMR.... There needs to be help groups, like Alcoholics Anonymous, just GGMR Anonymous and Betta Bug Anonymous :3

Also I was thinking, when I find aspen, to put aspen beneath the fleece. I think they'd like that o.o
Old 01-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #135 
VikingPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
betta bug, GGMR.... There needs to be help groups, like Alcoholics Anonymous, just GGMR Anonymous and Betta Bug Anonymous :3

Also I was thinking, when I find aspen, to put aspen beneath the fleece. I think they'd like that o.o
Haha,I agree...there def' needs to be groups for these syndromes! But were all probably too "far gone" now....lolol!

I never put any aspen beneath fleece before,but I think it would be nice and cushion-y for them.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #136 
Sena Hansler

Well all my guineas have bad reaction to pine (I found out from Honey, the owners before found out from theirs). And plus, since Creature pees as much as she drinks I need to have something absorbing it beneath the fleece
Old 01-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #137 
VikingPrincess

Pine is bad for small animals anyways. I know pet stores sell it, but it shouldn't be on the market! There are phenols in it and they are toxic to small animals.

Have you thought of litter training your guineas? I never litter trained mine and apparently they are hard to litter train, but it is possible. But yes, I say put some aspen or Carefresh/Boxo under the fleece for absorption.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #138 
Sena Hansler

Honey wriggles when I hold her when she needs to pee. It's pretty hard to train them... Honey won't pee on the floor though, she needs something to pee on so her not so worried about xD Panda pees wherever: on you, on the floor, on the fleece... And Creature doesn't really have a choice it seems like she cannot hold it anyways. I have thought of it though...
Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #139 
Bombalurina

That's one reason I love lino now. When my boys pee (which they do, everywhere), it doesn't get absorbed into the bedding so there is no risk of ammonia staying in the cage, because I can just wipe the puddles straight off the lino. God bless lino, says I.

Lol, here we have NRF (New Rat Fever)!

Hey Sena, did you find out how much that poor little piggy should weigh? :( All my prayers for her.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #140 
VikingPrincess

NRF - thats great! I like that one too. But we use GGMR here in Canada and the states.