Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #141 
Bombalurina

I *really* want a little hairless female. My friends brought over their ten-week old hairless girl and I dropped her on top of Hyde's back for a moment. He's a good foot long without stretching, with another 8 inches of tail, fat as a whale and covered in boofy cream fur. She looked so cute with him, like an ugly little pixie riding a polar bear. Gah! I want one!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #142 
LyzzaRyzz

I actually just got a hairless female! She's the standard pink eyes, pink skin, curly whiskers, but her sister is a Rex/hairless, grey skin, bit of peach fuzz on her face. Thier four weeks old! Well be getting another rattie soon, close in age, so when ones out, there's still a friend in Thier cage!
I also have a red eyed white female, shes just over a year. And I could never be without my babies!!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #143 
Bombalurina

Four weeks? That's really young. I wouldn't necessarily trust a breeder who lets them go that early. They sound very cute, though! Pictures?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #144 
LyzzaRyzz

Actually, we got them at three weeks. We had the formula ready, and fresh veggies, then made a baby mush of rat blocks, carrots and fruits. They went crazy for it!
It was my first time with ratties that young, and I was nervous, kept both eyes on em for the first four days, ready to rush them back to Thier mother, or a vet, checking up on how to take care of three week olds.. It was pretty stressful, though the girls are just perfect, active, popcorning, eating, wrestling, peeing and leaving tiny raisins on the bed. =]

I might not Get any more that young, I'll wait a week or two more.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #145 
VikingPrincess

Rats are not weaned till 4 weeks and most good breeders don't let them go till AT LEAST 5 weeks. I bred rats years ago,before I got into rescue and I would never let babies go before 5 weeks. Just curious where you got them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I *really* want a little hairless female. My friends brought over their ten-week old hairless girl and I dropped her on top of Hyde's back for a moment. He's a good foot long without stretching, with another 8 inches of tail, fat as a whale and covered in boofy cream fur. She looked so cute with him, like an ugly little pixie riding a polar bear. Gah! I want one!
Awww,I ADORE hairless ratties. I used to have 4, all rescues. I miss them. Hairless rats are really hard to get here,but my eyes are always peeled. I took in one hairless rat from my cousin before and he was so neglected and skinny and full of scabs and sadly he only lived about a week... His name was Jake. My other hairless ratties were named Potato, Ringalo & Milenko.

I should dig up my old pictures of them!
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #146 
LyzzaRyzz

I got them from a LPS..not the one i usually go to, but still relatively safe place to get fish, they actually take care of them.
i admit its mostly my fault, the girl was feeding them, and i fell in love with Arya..I dont usually get to go this store, so i knew if i waited, i wouldent have been able to get back there. but like i said, i wont be going that young again..too stressful! and you can definitly see the difference a week makes for them! so ill be behaving myself in the future..
Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #147 
VikingPrincess

Aw,I understand. I must of missed it the first time where you got them and for some reason thought you went to a breeder. Yes, a week certainly makes a difference! Good luck with them. If you have pictures,I would LOVE to see them. I am a sucker for ratty pictures. Rats are actually my number one passion.

I am like 2 buses away from a couple of pet stores and I only go out there when I NEED to (aspen, crickets or some other supplies), but my last rat came from a pet store because I couldn't leave without her. I know it makes me sort of a hypocrite because I am highly in rescuing animals,but I mean this rat 'spoke to me' and I couldn't leave her there and possibly have her become snake food (not against snakes eating,but my Kyna is NOT snake food and is too cute to be a feeder).
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #148 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingPrincess View Post
Finally got through the whole thread! Hahaha...rats to ferrets to cats to guinea pigs...

I would like a ferret one day,I spent months and months researching. However I am not sure I could get past the smell.

I used to have guinea pigs too. I had 5 of them. I think they are cute,but I doubt I will ever have them again. I had huge cages made for mine out of those cubes. I could never find coroplast,so I used table clothes for their "floor" and never had any problems with that.

No! I would avoid corncob! I had a rat die from impaction after he ate a lot of it. Plus it can get moldy pretty fast.

Aspen is actually quite safe and what I have been using for over 9-10 yrs now,with NO problems. I also occasionally use Boxo (a paper based bedding)...I only use that though if I cannot find aspen.

Pine and cedar are the ones to stay away from. They contain phenols,which are toxic to small animals and give them respiratory illness.

Aw,a girly named Thor? Thats okay. She sounded so pretty.
I think I got one of my beddings mixed up when I said that. I never knew that about corncob bedding. I just know I had seen it listed as a bedding type for small animals. I'll make sure not to ever try that. Thanks for the info.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #149 
Bombalurina

I'm lucky with my rats - my RSPCA generally has some in, and when they don't, I'm friends with a breeder, so I can avoid petshops. :) 3 of my boys are RSPCA, and the two in my avatar came from the girls.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #150 
LyzzaRyzz

They are doing amazing..They love me and my boyfriend, though Arya is much more of an explorer than Varys..it may have to do with Varys being hairless? Anyone have comments?

Right now, they have three cages! A night cage, next to our bed, a "play cage" which is 1.5 ft by four by two, longer than taller, and im setting up another play cage, which is 1.5 feet wide and deep, but four feet tall. I cant help rearranging thier cages all the time, so pretty muich every time they go into the play cage something has been added or moved..they love it!

I also crochet, so ive made them hammocks and bridges, and i just finished my first try at a "rat hut" and it came out pretty well!

And heres the pictures! First four are them on the first day, the next six is a few days after we got them, and the rest are of them a week later..The last few are of my other rattie, Sammich, shes just over a year, but was born a feeder, so I think her time is near..Shes always had that bald spot, wierd, but i find it cute..and she loves reeses peices!
Attached Images