Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #51 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
A little story on Ferrets...

There was one ferret I took home a few years ago, random stop at a pet store 6 hours from home and I decided to buy a ferret. I named her Hali, she was a full grown female in with a bunch of babies. The store said she had been there for a year. I can't even find a picture that looks like her, but she was fluffy and white with little black tips on her fur. So unique. Anyways, I took her home and she was a savage. She would bite (not nip) through the bars, she couldn't be handled. I had experience with ferrets (my first was an abuse case that was deaf, she bit a lot) but not a healthy ferret. Anyways, everything I tried wouldn't work. I was doomed.

One night I was sitting on the sofa, the ferret cage was in the hallway to the bedrooms. I heard screaming. Those with ferrets understand the "screaming" I speak of. I ran to check and poor Hali got her leg stuck in a bar on her cage. She was spitting and biting. I had to have 15 stitches done at the hospital. But when I finally got her free, I held her so close and cried. It broke my heart to hear her in that much pain. I kissed her and spoke to her and snuggled her... and I would NOT let her leave my side. It wasn't until 3 days later that I realized, she stopped biting me when I went to the cage. Poor Hali was so grateful, and saw the human I actually was. She was the sweetest ferret after that, one of my favorites actually. Sadly, she crossed over the rainbow bridge in my arms a few months later after loosing her battle with cancer. I miss her.
My female, Queen was the same way, she HATED people, the only reason she tolerated me was because Ray was head over heels for me.... The only... and I mean ONLY time she ever showed some love for me was when I got an ear infection and stayed in bed... Ray snuck up onto the bed and laid on my pillow and licked my face... Queen snuck up and curled up at my feet.... then to remind me she still didnt like me she bit my foot and we went to sleep like that

Quote:
My other story? My Noelle... a little half size ferret I stole from a crack house in 2006 on Christmas Eve. Friend of mine called me to come over and check out the ferret, and the owner was too out of it to notice I was there. Seeing as I was helping with rescue, the concerned people called me. I told them she was sick, I told them she wasn't going to make it and I would take her and have her humanely put down. No, she was actually in a ferret sleep and was very much the picture of health just very hyper from never being out of her cage. Best choice I ever made was taking her out of that house! Noelle never had a cage with me, she slept on my bed with the cats and rode around in my sweater hood during the day. I would call for the cats and she would come running too. She was my absolute favorite!! I miss her to this day.
Aw, poor girl, it always amazes me how the worst people can sometimes end up owning ferrets, she sounds like she was a complete doll

Quote:
Ferret can be amazing pets... I don't own them because they stink lol
Lol, they really can be... and yeah... no matter what... they always leave a faint musky odor... I was lucky enough that Ray and Queens and EVERY foster ferret I had were easy to potty train, it made some of it easier... the only reason I don't own ferrets anymore though is how common it is for them to get cancer.... I never want to go through that again
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #52 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
And I would LOVE a blackmoore goldfish. Just... I do not have a big enough tank aaand it gets darn warm here for summer. o.o
Lol, I love the look of them, they are just SO cute.... but yeah... no tanks big enough and I would hate to just have ONE (besides... Imma betta gal, lol).... your house would have no fans or AC... but your goldfish would! lmao
Old 01-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #53 
Sena Hansler

exactly and I'd rather dish out what is needed for a fan for the guineas :3 I could have gotten 3 goldies and a tank.... for free....here....problem.
The tank is approximately a 20 gallon and the goldies are BIG. Not the baby size, no, actually getting big. and I wouldn't be allowing myself to house a goldie in a 20, let alone adopt ones with a 20 gallon
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #54 
LittleBettas

Thats just sad... I can't believe that people do that kind of stuff... I mean, ONE looks crowed as it is....and I know what you mean, that would be torture to see...though a free 20 gallon tank would be tempting....
Old 01-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #55 
Sena Hansler

I know right? xD if I knew anyone with a large tank for 1-3 goldies (as pets not feeders preferably) I would actually take them. It comes with extra filters... all well. I still couldn't bare seeing them for even a short time in a small space.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #56 
LittleBettas

What about someone with a pond?
like a library or a school... I know my school has a HUGE pond, they take in a few "rescues" everynow and then (normally college student's pets that have gotten to big or something)
.... or maybe its to hot in your area? I dunno... lol, I just thought of that... it always stays reasonably cool here and when it gets to hot the highest it gets it the 80s and RARELY the 90s... and then the fish swim to the bottom of the pond or under the bridge where its cooler
Old 01-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #57 
Sena Hansler

I dunno anyone with a cold water tank most people have oscars, cichlids, gouramis, bettas, tetras and danios. o.o Minnows are feeders or for cycling tanks, and goldies are feeders or for ponds, and the goldies rarely sell as pets. which is sad. when they have XXXLG comets.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #58 
LittleBettas

Seriously... it amazes me how many petstores have goldfish... but I have actually never actually seen anyone BUY one... everyone goes for tropical tanks
Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #59 
Sena Hansler

exactly. Ohh I just registered on the guinea pig site o.o
Old 01-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #60 
LittleBettas

Aw!
Congrats!
Lol, I know you'll have fun with that... one more thing to get addicted to