Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #1 
HermitGuy101

Exclamation Cloudy Water

I've had to do 3 water changes this week due to cloudy water. The only conditioners I use are

- Nutrafin Betta Plus

- Top-fin Bacteria Supplement

I also use Ozarka Spring Water to fill the aquarium.

My Male Veil-tale lives in a 1/2 gallon Marina Betta Pals Kit with an Aqueaon Mini Heater with 2 small fake plants. I have not overfed and when tested, the water quality checks out. I'm starting to wonder if this SHOULD be happening.

Please let me know what I should do to solve the situation. Thank You!

Last edited by HermitGuy101; 01-07-2012 at 11:44 AM.
HermitGuy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

It's probably the bacteria supplement causing a bacterial bloom. I would stop that and keep up with the water changes you're currently doing until the water clears up.

You should probably be changing a half gallon 2-3 times weekly anyway (Even if it's just a partial change) to keep harmful levels down.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...

I would stop using the bacteria supplement-not needed and not going to do much in an unfiltered tank anyway.....

The only chemical additive you need is a good dechlorinator that covers both chlorine and chloramines-be sure and check the label for proper dosage if you have chloramine along with chlorine in the source water since some products require double dosage.....when in doubt dose for both-it hard to overdose these products....

In a half gallon unfiltered without live plants-I would recommend 3=weekly water changes....2-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality

Also, I don't recommend using bottled water-often it can just be filtered water and will still have chlorine/chloramines and the filtration process can remove the minerals needed for long term health

Heating can sometimes be an issue so monitor the temp and try to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals....

Love to see some pics and look forward to hearing more about your Betta adventures.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 01-07-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloudy, conditioner, food, heater, water