Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #1 
4alwaysAbettaluver

Question Should I have a tank or a bowl?

I am planning to get a betta of my OWN and I want it to live long. I dont think I will need a heater because my family lives in AZ and it usually is atleast 99degrees in spring, summer, and fall. It can also fall to 60degrees in the winter (uasually). I also need to know what the bettas like to have in thier tank such as plants, rocks ect. Will bettas do good in 1 gallon bowls or will I need to have it be kept in a 2-2.5 gallon bowl instead? PLEASE COMMENT!
4alwaysAbettaluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #2 
thekoimaiden

It may be 99F outside in the summer, but I bet your family turns on the AC. Your house won't be warm enough for him. You really should get a heater.

As for tank size, it depends. Most people have different opinions of what is the minimum size for a betta. But what tank size boils down to is how often you will have to do water changes. Larger tanks (5 gal and up) only require one water change a week once you get them cycled. Anything smaller than 5 gal you will be changing the water probably 2-3 times a week. You have to decide what you want to do.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 AM   #3 
BellasMomma

You shouldn't buy a betta is yer not gonna buy a heater just like 'thekoi' said it may be hot outside but If you want him to be happy and strive get the heater. Plus you said it yerself, 60 degrees in winter. That's NOT ok for him. Again if you want him to strive get a 2- 2.5 gallon AT LEAST! Without a filter you will need to do a lot of water changes like full water changes every other day and half on the ones you don't. If yer restricted on money wait to buy the betta until you can get a heater. He will be much happier!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #4 
Gen2387

I would def go for a heater. They aren't that expensive and like you said if it's 60 in the winter, that's too cold for him. Don't forget the thermometer. They usually go for 2 or 3 $ and they are very important to make sure you don't overheat the water or to see if it's too cold. The water will usually be a couple of degrees lower than the temperature in the room so if you have AC it's going to be too cold.

A 2 gallon / 2.5 gallon is def better than 1 gallon. He's going to be happier.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 
4alwaysAbettaluver

Thank you guys!
I only have 1 more question...
what kind of heater would you get for a bowl?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #6 
BellasMomma

I haven't heard anything good of the betta ones that go at the bottom but I have my guy in a one gal while I fix his 10 gal after recent deaths and I put my 10 gal heater in the gal bowl. Try to get one that's for under 10 gallons. But get the thermometer....
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #7 
kfryman

You can get the elite submersible heater. It is $10 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...6750307&sr=8-1
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

If you do go for a bowl, look out for drum-style ones (flat front and back). The flat sides make it easier to attach heaters. :) Alternatively, Kritter Keepers are cheap and safe to heat. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #9 
4alwaysAbettaluver

Thank you that is what I might just do!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #10 
Dragonii

I've had very good luck with these heaters. They are about as small as you can get.
http://www.amazon.com/BETTASTIK-MINI...6830048&sr=8-1
But, I use filters in all of my tanks so the moving water may make a difference.

As for containers, don't be afraid to get creative. This was a wine bottle/doll display box that I picked up at Michael's for $11.
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote