Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Plants for a 2.5 and a 1 gal tank?

I know I've mentioned this in other posts, but I'm in a hurry here (dinner's almost done) and I don't want to search through all my past posts. Basically, I'd like to have a small, slow-growing plant in both of my tanks (2.5 and 1 gal).

I already have 1 moss ball in the 1 gal and 2 in the 2.5 gal, but I'd like for them to look a little more natural. They get quite a bit of indirect sunlight ever day, and right now the temperature is kept between 76 -80. In the summer, when I don't have to use heaters, the temp will probably be around 72 - 74.

Any plants you guys recommend? And will any cycling be required if I add a new plant?

Thanks! :)
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

It sounds like the best plant for you is Anubias. They are very undemanding with light and nutrients. They do best when their rhizome isn't planted in the substrate. They can be left to float or anchored to rocks or driftwood. They can be found at many LPS.

You won't have to cycle to add a new plant, don't worry.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #3 
freeflow246

Thank you! I'll start looking for it at my store. :)
Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #4 
fishy friend2

what about some anacharis, wisteria, hornwort or java moos, they are easy, undemanding plants, that i have always had success with in low tech setups, i've even had java moss in a tank with no light source at all, it probalby had just enough light to see the fish anacharis and java moss will grow best with alot of nutrients, whish your tank should provide...... from the fish poop, and java moss is good at helping keep your ammonia levels down. and IMO is a very attractive plant
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #5 
freeflow246

Thank you! I'll check those out too.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #6 
PixelatedPaint

I personally use various kind of anubias, java fern and marimo balls. They look great, are pretty vibrant and survive some pretty horrid lighting.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #7 
Silverfang

I agree with Pixelateds choice in plants. The only thing I would mention is that anubias will turn pale if it gets too much light.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote