Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Mix of Betta pellets, Brine Shrimp, and Blood Worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? At least once a week, although I have no control over water changes when I am at college, and I don't think my mom does them as often as I ask her to.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50% depending on situation.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner, Stress coat, and salt(when sick or has torn fins)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:8
Hardness:0
Alkalinity: 300

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Drastically since the beginning of last semester. Gaunt, curved spine, short fins, scales falling off, heaving breathing
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, easily spooked, hangs out at top of tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Christmas break
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have been treating him since last June for chronic finrot, but nothing seems to work permanently.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Chronic Finrot and one brief bacterial infection last year.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 and a half to 3 years old.

I know there is no real excuse for Touchstone's condition, but I have been away at college and when I got back for Christmas, his fins were basically gone and he looked as if he were at death's door! I feel as if I have tried everything. This poor boy has a history of chronic fin rot, and I have tried treating it in the past, but it never seems to go away completely. The Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels are all fine, so I don't understand why he keeps getting worse. He looks as though he is about to die, so I went into a local petstore for Maracyn 2, but they didn't have any. The lady there said that the meds actually hurt the fish, and that the best way to treat fin rot is to slice an aloe vera leaf and squeeze the jelly into the tank. Would this work? This sounded kind of suspicious, and I don't want to hurt my fish anymore than I already have. Also, I don't always trust petstore people. Anyways, I value any advice and opinions.
Litlover11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:17 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

Medications can stress a fish out, but I think you'd need a medication at this point if he's got a chronic issue.

the bent spine is worrying, but hopefully he's just holding himself that way from discomfort rather than a serious illness, as bad as that sounds.

Definitely try to get a hold of some good bacterial medication.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #3 
Litlover11

Ok, that sounds good, thank you so much for responding. I will get him either triple sulfa or Maracyn 2, asap. I gave him a good water change with salt yesterday, so he is swimming a little bit more, but he still looks terrible.

So you wouldn't recommend the aloe vera thing? Also, what about raising his temp? Would that help? Thank you so much for your advice!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

The temp is fine.

As far as the aloe vera goes, I wouldn't trust putting the gel straight in. I know some water conditioners have some aloe vera, but I'm sure you can easily over dose if you were to get it straight from the plant.

If you really wanted aloe vera in your tank, I believe stress coat has some in it.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #5 
Litlover11

I am already using stress coat w/aloe vera in it, so I think I will play it safe and use conventional medicine. Thank you for your help, here's hoping it works!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #6 
callistra

Umm.. is he looking like he's losing weight at all or have a caved belly at all? I'll tell you what I'm thinking once you say..

I would do Maracyns in combo or try to get some Kanamyacin (Kanaplex by Seachem)
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #7 
Litlover11

Yes, he looks starved, but he is still eating. The middle of his body looks sunken in. His back is arched, and is constantly in an S position. He also has veins visible and is losing color and scales. I assumed it was a result of advanced fin rot, but you think it is something else?
Old 01-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

The bent spine, weight loss, and sunken in appearance are symptoms of fish TB, but I'm unsure if this is what your betta actually has. It usually kills very quickly.

Do not use the same equipment for water changes between any tanks you have and watch your other fish closely for similar symptoms.

Wash your hands very thoroughly before touching any food you'll be preparing or eating, before touching your face, and before you touch anything for your other tanks.

Be very cautious since if it is fish RB it can spread to you and your other fish.

don't take this as a "Your fish has this" but simply as the symptoms you describe match the symptoms of that disease.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #9 
Litlover11

I really hope that's not what he has, but all my other fish are pretty healthy. I use the same equipment between all of them, and they all seem fine. Just to be safe, I will keep an eye out and use different equipment. How could he have gotten this disease, if that's what he has? Is there any test to find out if it is TB?
Old 01-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

I don't think there's a way to test until they've passed or you euthanize. I just know that there are usually granules in the body tissues, but I'm not sure exactly where.

As far as contraction, I'm not sure on that either.