Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #1 
danifacetastic

Betta Bloat & Can't Stay At Top, Bought medication, now what?

So I wrote about my betta who's been bloated for months. Well now he swims to the top real fast and gets air and then floats to the bottom.

At the store today I purchased API General Cure. It says it treats parasitic fish diseases (gill & skin flukes, swollen abdoman, wasting disease and hole in head)

There are 10 packets included and it says to use 1 packet per 10 gallons of water. How I can I do this for a 1 gallon QT tank?

Please help and respond soon. I want to save my fish if at all possible.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #2 
callistra

Measure 10 tablespoons of aquarium water. Put 1 packet in the water. Dissolve fully. Measure 1 tablespoon of the mixture and put it in the 1 gallon. If it won't dissolve very well in the 10 tablespoons you can put in 20 and then take 2 out. That is one of the meds I had a hard time dissolving.

However, this is not likely what he needs. This is not the antibiotics we talked about in the last thread.. If it's his whole BODY that is pine coning you need to get either the maracyns or the Kanamyacin. If it's just his belly and his poop is abnormal (usually long white stringy poop) it could be parasites.

Last edited by callistra; 01-07-2012 at 08:26 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #3 
danifacetastic

Alright I won't use that medication. I just went to the local pet store and it's all they had. My boyfriend is going to petsmart tomorrow and will look for that. For now my fish is resting on something near the top of his 1 gal QT tank so he can breathe. I just wish I knew what I could have done wrong. One of my other fish died in early December. Didn't know anything was wrong with him. Came home from work one day and he was laying on his side breathing real heavy and died overnight.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #4 
callistra

Petsmart should have the maracyns but not the kanaplex.

Dropsy can be caused by contaminated food or a water quality problem, but also the bacteria that causes it could have been brought in by the shrimp. Is your 10 gallon filtered and cycled now? Any sign of ammonia is not good and anything above .25ppm needs immediate correction. If you're not using a filter then your tank isn't cycled and even 10 gallon uncycled tanks will eventually need 100% water changes. You can't 50% water change an uncycled/unfiltered tank forever. Also from reading your other thread it sounds like maybe the shrimp brought something in with them and your only real mistake was not quarantining. Now we're just still trying to deal with the issue. Also keeping bettas too cold will leave them susceptible to diseases.. I read in your other thread that the temperature fluctuated and it drops as low as 74 and long term that really isn't suitable for a betta.

A Marineland Visitherm 50w or 75w heater should keep the tank temp about 10-15 degrees above room so if your house is kept at 63-68 it should be able to keep it reasonable.

Last edited by callistra; 01-07-2012 at 09:12 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #5 
danifacetastic

The tank is filtered and I do 50% changes once a week and larger changes every so often. The ammonia has never reached any kind of bad levels (I was using an ammonia meter and recently bought test strips). I'm using 100w heater and right now my tank is 76 degrees. All my other water parameters are perfect though I'm just not sure what's happening. This fish was bloated before I brought the shrimp in but gotten worse since they've died and the other fish died suddenly. The third fish in the tank shows no signs (and never has) of having anything wrong with him.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

What other fish died? If they were with him, they died because of an uncycled tank - that is a high possibility, I mean. It's pretty common - and everyone makes that mistake at least once :) the dying fish, causes the water to go foul, and usually after a fish dies I do a 50%-100% water change, to ensure there is no bacteria roaming. The 100% includes tearing the tank down, and sanitizing everything with hot water/vinegar mix. I've never had a problem when I do that

He could have had the same problem my Madame did - I had a missing cory cat, no skeleton nothing, and a day later Madame bloated up, got dropsy and died. He must of fouled the water, or she ate the decayed flesh and got sick from it. It's pretty possible, but don't panic just yet - remember to see all possibilities
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #7 
danifacetastic

Well here's what I did. When I noticed the fish was on its side breathing heavily I cupped him and did a 50% water change. At this point the boy who's sick now was QT'd for the same thing and I was doing epsom salt. Then I left him in the cup and rubber banded him to the side of the tank inside the water so he'd stay warm with the surrouding water. He was dead in the morning and even though he wasn't in the water I did another big water change. But I've had these 3 fish in the same tank over a year and things have just started happening since Octoberish.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

What kind of fish? just bettas?

And has there been any change: plants, gravel, ornaments, heater, filter, tank, environment... does anyone spray febreeze? or other air freshners?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #9 
danifacetastic

Just 3 bettas. I redid the tank in October with new gravel but rinsed it thouroughly. And added a new heater in December.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Hmm okay... Does the heater cause any "froth" or bubbles near it?