Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #1 
chrissylee13

Unhappy i feel that the end is near for my dear Curly, any suggestions?

my questions are...
does anyone think this is just fin rot alone? or was it a combination of stress, not eating, getting fin rot and then slowly dying?
does anyone think he'll make it?
if not, should i put him out of his misery?

Housing

What size is your tank? 10 gal, separated. curly is currently in a 1/2 gal tank being treated.
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? trying pellets and flakes. he hasn't eaten since the day i got him. new years eve.
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day attempt.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? for Curly his water change is once a day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner, stress coat, stress zyme, and aquarium salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? all are in normal range, with no chemicals in the water.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fin rot, turned pale, now turning yellow.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? barely swims, floats around, slowed breathing, still not eating.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? fin rot has been almost 2 days now. rapid fin loss.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? aquarium salt and stress coat. 1/2 tsp for his half gallon
Does your fish have any history of being ill? has been shy, not eating, and hiding since i got him
How old is your fish (approximately)? he's a little over an inch long. but i'm not sure.

Picture & Description:
1. when i first got him (saturday, new years eve)
2. when i first noticed red on his tail fin (thursday)
3. when i first noticed the fin rot (friday morning)
4. fin rot progression (later friday)
5, 6, 7. taken today, he's turning yellow, and is looking thin
in picture 7 he looks as if he has slight raised scales, does anyone else see this? dropsy? i don't recall him having swollen eyes or a gray belly though.

Attached Images

chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 
callistra

Tail is disappearing very quickly indeed.. then I think your guy needs some real meds and not just aquarium salt. I would move to a full gallon for more easy treatment and try something that goes internal like Kanamyacin or the Maracyns in combo.

It doesn't look like dropsy in those pics but you may be able to see more of a slight raise in pine coning that we can't see.. If you do feel that he is bloating I would highly suggest discontinuing the nacl and replace it with epsoms along with the antibiotic.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #3 
chrissylee13

thank you for all of your help everyone. but unfortunately my poor curly has passed away. :[
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #4 
Pucky21811

I'm so sorry for your loss; it was a such a quick spiral downwards and its apparent how much you cared and put up a fight for Curly. RIP Curly <3
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote