Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #11 
Litlover11

He does have tiny white lesions on his body behind his pectoral fins. I had him treated for Ich, but they never went away. He looks so sick, and I feel like such a bad betta mom!
Litlover11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #12 
callistra

Yep that's what I was thinking too.. fish tb. Sorry but he's got every symptom in the book.. Isolate the fish to QT tank. The tank he's in will need to be bleached and out gased. Treat him with Kanamyacin (Kanaplex) by Seachem for 30 days is treatment for this. The bacteria is only effected by antibiotics during a very small part of its life cycle so this is why treatment long term is important. I've also heard of b6 is helpful when added. Sources suggested are liquid baby vitamins. I would just be careful what it's suspended in and try to find something without a lot of add ins.

This can infect you too (usually in the form of a rash) so make sure you wear gloves and wash really well when handling the water.

It's not your fault if your mom isn't keeping up with water changes.. I would take this opportunity to impress upon your mom exactly what the frequency of changes you do when you are there is so important.. Unfortunately, sometimes people just don't get it until such a thing happens. It also could have come in somehow.. there's no real way of telling. You might think of switching food sources as I've heard it can come in with a contaminated food source.

Last edited by callistra; 01-08-2012 at 03:42 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #13 
Litlover11

I just wish I weren't at college right now, I am kinda stuck here, at least until next weekend. My mom doesn't care about my fish like I do, and I don't know if she would be willing to go out and find the meds, especially if those meds can't be found nearby. And I just talked to her about the tb possibility, and she doesn't believe that's it, because she can't see how it could have gotten into the tank and the fact that my other fish don't seem sick. I have Triple Sulfa, could that possibly work, as it is also an antibiotic?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #14 
callistra

No. Not if it's fish tb. Even the Kanaplex is not a 100% treatment and the only other thing that I am aware of helping in this is are actually tb drugs.. although I think there may be a combo antibiotic treatment people have used with small success. Could work on the fin rot but the sunken belly, lethargic, curved spine and scale loss is classic tb..The only other thing that might have any chance of causing that would be advanced internal parasite infection with secondary bacterial infection.

In any rate your mom needs to be prepared to do some quick and thorough treatment. I'm sorry I hope she listens to you.

ETA: Just double checked it. The other treatment I've seen suggested never actually seen used is streptomycin and isoniazid which are actual tb drugs and you're going to have to find a vet if you want to try that course but the Kanaplex will be an easier find and I do know about treating with that with at least some success.

Last edited by callistra; 01-08-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #15 
Litlover11

I will talk to her, but I doubt she will want to try it, she will tell me that it is too much for just one fish. If he can hold out until this weekend, I can move him to a hospital tank and start treating him, if I can find kanaplex. I can check my local fish store, as I don't think petsmart carries it.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #16 
callistra

Petsmart does not carry it. When I was trying to find uncommon meds I went to yellowpages.com and typed in 'aquariums' and called down the list. Otherwise you can get it on Amazon.com.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #17 
Litlover11

If I cannot get it at my local petstore, I will look at amazon. I do want to thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it. I just hate seeing my baby suffer like this, and I want to do all I can to help him. So thank you again for your help and for alerting me about the possibility of this disease.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #18 
callistra

You're welcome! Best of luck to you and I hope he makes a full recovery :)