Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #1 
xXGalaxyXx

How should I euthanize my betta...?

Haha, I had hoped I'd never have to ask this question. But I can't sit around and watch my Sapphira suffer any longer. She started out with fungus and a bit of bloat. The fungus cleared, but even with epsom salt and no food the bloat got much worse. She now has unmistakable dropsy, with the grey tummy the size of a marble and pineconed scales. On top of this, the fungus recently came back and won't clear this time - it's coating her mouth and she can't eat because of it.
I'd like to keep trying, I really would - but the poor girl can barely move, hasn't eaten in a week, and just overall looks like she won't make it. I don't want to draw this out any longer, so my question is, what is a quick (and preferably humane, haha) way to euthanize her? I don't have clove oil on hand, and if I can help it I'd rather not smash her head. x.x Any answers are appreciated, thanks.
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #2 
nel3

sorry to hear about her dropsy. id go with clove oil before i ever cut/smash my fish. you could try putting her in the freezer. the cold will do the trick as long as you leave her there for a few hours. i did read that some may come back if they're not long enough in the freezer.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ight=euthanise
look at the first response from Myates

Last edited by nel3; 01-15-2012 at 11:48 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #3 
thekoimaiden

I am very sorry to hear that you have come to that point, but you are right to end his suffering painlessly. You are in a bit of pickle tho, since the only methods I will every use are clove oil and finquel (which I doubt you can get a hold of if you can't even get clove oil). Freezing isn't humane because bettas are tropical fish. You can use it on goldfish and other coldwater fish because they go into a state of hibernation at lower temps; their bodies are programmed for it. We don't actually know how tropicals react to cold. Yes it will kill them, but we don't know if it really is painless, and it will take a long time.

An alternative to placing him in the freezer is to place him into an extremely cold bowl of water. The difference in water temp is so great that it will send his body into instant shock and cause a fatal shock to his nervous system and organs, killing him almost instantly. Much faster than slowly freezing in a freezer.

You can read more about humane euthansia here: Exploring Fish Euthansia.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 01-16-2012 at 12:43 AM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #4 
Sakura8

There are some very good alternative methods listed in this thread. I'm really sorry about Sapphira, Galaxy. :(

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...hanasia-89738/
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #5 
xXGalaxyXx

Thanks, everyone.. Went through with it earlier tonight - I just placed her in a small bowl of partly frozen water. She went into shock from the temperature change, as expected, and was gone within a minute. /cue depression OTL
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #6 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry, Galaxy. :( If she was struggling and suffering, you did the right thing. Not the easy thing but the right thing.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #7 
thekoimaiden

*Hugs* It's really hard to say goodbye to a pet. I've had to put to sleep my first cat as well as my first dog. But you were right to end her suffering.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:57 AM   #8 
Bambi

For future(and hope fully never exiting) needs you should find some clove oil to have on hand. Sory for your loss.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #9 
Laki

So sorry to hear! You've done everything you could for her. The kindest thing was euthanasia rather than watch her suffer and perish. Bless.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #10 
Gen2387

I'm very sorry for your loss, I must have been incredibly difficult to do. For future reference, if you are not able to get your hands on clove oil just bring her to the closest veterinary clinic. They usually just charge a couple of $ for fishes and they'll give her a tiny injection. It's very humane, there's no pain and it's very fast.

Sorry again for your loss.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote