Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #1 
Kelly0727

Color and tail type genes?

So I have a betta, that I just got today. Not sure if he is a delta, or halfmoon, or maybe even a Double tail.. To much damage to tell. Anyway, I was wondering If I ever considered breeding bettas (would be a long time from now) But how would I get the red out of the colors.. Also if he was a DT what would be the chances of getting HM is the female was a HM? If I do ever find a good fitting female for him after he is healed up and healthy once again I would consider breeding. But I would want to go with a geen and black theme..

It's a horrible pic but that is him. The fin damage doesnt show much. But he has small holes all through his fins and the middle is a bit torn like he has ben nipped there. Also he has a bit of blue in him with the right lighting. But I think it doesnt show because of the flash.. Will have to wait until i get him in the 10 gallon which is currently being worked on.
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

It's really hard to tell, with pet store Bettas they are pretty much a grab bag of surprises when you breed them. You have no idea what his genetics are or even what his offspring will be. Pair him with another pet store female and you're in for even more of a surprise. Red is a dominant color, that I know for sure. Will be hard to breed a red out of a fish you that has a mystery background. Breeding him will be a gamble if you're looking for something specific... health and color wise. He sure is a beautiful boy though. Congrats and welcome to the forum!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #3 
Kelly0727

Thank you :) It makes me mad now because my petsmart actually got him like that with the fin damage.. And lots of people were blaming petsmart for that.. yeesh. But I'm glad the damage doesnt show much in the pic..

So if I did have him and another female spawn would I be able to take some fry from them and maybe another betta that I get from a breeder and maybe narrow down the "surprises" in the next spawn? I figured red would be a hard color to get out of.. but I figured if I kept adding the colors I wanted into the line eventually (like maybe the 8th or 9th spawn) it would fade out more..

Still cant seem to figure out what tail type he is though.. But if I never found the proper female for him anyway, I wouldnt consider breeding until I found another pair. Although surprises would be fun to see what I get lol.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

That sounds like a whole lot of baby Bettas to find homes for! Why not just pick up a nice pair from a breeder with qualities you like and body form/color you prefer and breed them? I mean with that many spawns, you're looking at a lot of fish to rehome and potentially a lot of fish you'll have to cull. No one can house up to 1000+ fish from 8-9 spawns, well not anyone that's not a professional breeder anyways.

I honestly don't know how you would go about breeding him though, I'm not a breeder myself. Way too much work for me, and I haven't found the prefect breeder pair for my first spawn. I won't breed my pet store Bettas, I'd probably be stuck with most of them :( Someone with more expertise can answer the breeding your pet store Betta and getting the results you want better than me :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #5 
Kelly0727

Your probably right about that lol He's just so pretty though.. And I'm in love with the length of his fins.. oh well :) Plus I cant really afford the expensive bettas at the moment. Not until I know I have another job.. Hmm..

Still wondering how I would get thoes colors though. :)
Old 01-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

His long dorsal indicates that he is DT. The form of his caudal looks like delta DT or HMDT (VTDT are sort of rectangular).

Though I agree with Pitluvs, yet I believe that all breeders experiment with their line - Asian breeders, not sure about US breeders. The difference is that you can't ask about genetic back ground from LFS but you can when dealing with breeders.

Red is difficult to breed out but you should get some with no red if you breed to a clean black, blue or green (no red). Actually you can get a few clean green by breeding him to a same color... but that's more of a gamble. Then inbreed the clean greens or cross to another clean green ..... warning: I would wait until F1 is 6 months before breeding because they may look clean when young but as they age, red might show.

Assuming they carry true genes
Probability:
Black lace - black, blackish body with green irids, darkish green/turquoise, turquoise, and some multi (red)
Royal blue - blue, turquoise, green, multi
Green - bright green, turquoise green, multi

You can get clean bright (lighter shade) shiny green if you breed him to a clean/solid copper. In this case you will also get multi colors. Probability: Green shade copper, bright/lighter green, multi.

The color percentage outcome depends on who carries stronger genes ..... in other words - unpredictable.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote