Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #1 
Rennae

Red face New to site. Questions about Betta's

Hello everyone. I've been lurking the site for a bit as I've been interested in picking up a Betta for myself for a little bit now. After seeing everyone's beautiful tanks and learning a lot, I'm about ready to take the plunge. However there are some questions that I still have that I have not found around the site. If these have been answered before I do apologize, I just haven't found them here. I hope those of you around can answer.

1) Tank size. I know a lot of people have bigger tanks, like the 5 to 10 gallon tanks, however I do not have a lot of room for a big tank. I could possibly get a 5 gallon tank, but that may be pushing it. Would a 2.5 gallon be big enough and allow the Betta to be happy? I would hate to get one and not have a tank big enough.

2) Lighting. This tank will be in my room, and I don't really want to plunge the tank into total darkness during night time, so my question is would having a few low lit blue led bulbs be okay to have on at night? If not blue then low light white bulbs? During the day and earlier evening before bed I don't mind a full light being on, it's just while I'm trying to sleep having a bright fish tank light is a bit much for me to sleep with.

3) In a smaller tank is it a good idea to keep the Betta alone? Or would having a small pleko in the tank be okay?

4) Should your tank be 100% set up and heated properly before bringing the Betta home?

Again I appreciate any help with answering these questions and am looking forward to being around the site. I'm also even more excited about getting my new Betta soon. ^_^
Rennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #2 
Nubster

1. Try your best to get a 5g for the betta. If not, I would absolutely not use less than the 2.5g. Even though they are in a tiny cup in the stores, Bettas really do like room to swim. I had one in a 75g tank and he swam every inch of it.

2. Blue moon lights at night would be fine. Total darkness would be too.

3. Especially in a 2.5g I would keep the Betta alone. Big reason for that is likely the tank won't have a filter so you really want to keep the bioload as low as possible. You'll be doing frequent water changes even with just one fish in that small of a tank. Even with a larger tank, like the 5g, I would carefully consider putting a pleco in there. Many plecos get huge and some can even harm other fish. Just do you research first. You could add a snail or two though. It would help and at least there would be a little something more to look at.

4. Yes, the tank should be completely setup and ready for the fish. Even if you don't get a heater, I would suggest an airstone and heater. You should be able to get a really small nano filter though for the tank and that would really benefit the fish and you because you won't have to change the water as often...like once a week instead of every other day or even everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennae View Post
Hello everyone. I've been lurking the site for a bit as I've been interested in picking up a Betta for myself for a little bit now. After seeing everyone's beautiful tanks and learning a lot, I'm about ready to take the plunge. However there are some questions that I still have that I have not found around the site. If these have been answered before I do apologize, I just haven't found them here. I hope those of you around can answer.

1) Tank size. I know a lot of people have bigger tanks, like the 5 to 10 gallon tanks, however I do not have a lot of room for a big tank. I could possibly get a 5 gallon tank, but that may be pushing it. Would a 2.5 gallon be big enough and allow the Betta to be happy? I would hate to get one and not have a tank big enough.

2) Lighting. This tank will be in my room, and I don't really want to plunge the tank into total darkness during night time, so my question is would having a few low lit blue led bulbs be okay to have on at night? If not blue then low light white bulbs? During the day and earlier evening before bed I don't mind a full light being on, it's just while I'm trying to sleep having a bright fish tank light is a bit much for me to sleep with.

3) In a smaller tank is it a good idea to keep the Betta alone? Or would having a small pleko in the tank be okay?

4) Should your tank be 100% set up and heated properly before bringing the Betta home?

Again I appreciate any help with answering these questions and am looking forward to being around the site. I'm also even more excited about getting my new Betta soon. ^_^
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

No plecos in any tanks under 20-30g please. Most get to be 12-24" long, that's 1 foot to 2 feet long. The smaller plecos still get to be 3-4" long and they like to swim as well. No no no plecos!

Also, if you have a filter on your tank... you still need to do the recommended two water changes a week unless you are planning to cycle the tank. That's a whole new ballgame. In a 2.5g tank, you would do one 50% and one 100% changes a week. Filter or not. I also would skip the airstone as Bettas like calmer water. Since they are water and air breathers, they don't need the added oxygen that airstones provide to the water. It will be easier to breathe from the surface without it. Heater is a must, Bettas prefer 78-80F.

And last, no lights at night please. Bettas don't have eye lids, they need to sleep too. You're Betta will be totally fine all night with no light on, they will be better off. Mine all sit in a black living room all night and are up early and well rested. Lights on 24h could stress your Betta out which could make him sick.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....so glad you found us and became a member of our neat little community....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta keeping adventures....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. A 2.5 gallon would be just fine for your betta.You don't have to have a light. Bettas need a dsy/night cycle just like we do. Bettas asre solitary fish and IMO should be kept alone but it really depends on their personality. Some are pretty easy going and don't mind tankmates and some will kill anything put in their tank. In a 2.5 tank there will only be room for the betta.As Pitluvs stated you really don't need the airstone.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #6 
morla

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here!
morla is offline   Reply With Quote