Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #1 
GreenTea

Spotted Yellow + Blue/Orange Dragon Spawn

Hey all, followers of my first spawn log thought I should create a separate log for my second spawn. The last of the eggs are still hatching right now, but we have bobbers! The yellow dad is the father of this spawn as well and he is doing great. He is a bit of a bully. The mom lost a few scales, but kept her breeding bars and breeding behaviors so I left them together. She is doing great now in a recovery tank, eating lots, and very active.

Method:
I spawned these two using a modified shock method. Originally I had this male with another female, and employed the regular shock method. She had no response to him at all, and the water temp seemed to shock her in a negative way. I removed her after a few hours of no courtship behavior.

I then decided I would try him with another eggy, lovely candidate instead of scrapping the spawn. I removed the male to a small tank and left him in an unheated room for a day, feeding him lots. The female had been on her own for two weeks, recovering from a previous spawn attempt. I kept her in a smaller glass container and mass fed her for a few days as well.

I rearranged the tank, and moved his nest. Because he's sort of aggressive, I decided I would jar mom first and see their reaction. She's a bit smaller than him so I wanted to make sure she'd be OK. So with temperature shock and introducing at the same time, but with the female in a chimney, is the modified part of the shock method. She immediately barred and darkened upon seeing him, flaring at him and trying to get at him though the vase. The dad moved the nest to right next to the vase, showing off I guess .

She followed his movements and was obvious wanting to get started but I decided to let them be for a few hours. I wanted to see if the male would add to his nest, showing interest in the new female. When I got back from work about 7 hours later, the nest covered about 1/3 of the spawn tank (a 10 gal) and the female was still barred, so I released her! Lots of chasing on her part, she even nipped him. They both hung out under the nest for a little, then came the male biting and chasing. This went on for about a day and a half. Then the female came out wiggling at him and following him to the nest. They spawned while I was gone, unfortunately, so I didn't get to see them. She kept trying to spawn with him, but he was really aggressive with her and was already focused on moving the nest and tending to the eggs, so I removed her.

As of now? The eggs are finishing hatching! Here are photos of the pair.

Dad

Mom

About mom - She was listed as a hmpk but looks more like a hm to me. In full flare she has 180. What do you guys think about her fin type? It will be interesting to see in the fry.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #2 
alysalouise

AWWW i've been wanting to see this female spawned since you got her!

So excited to follow this spawn too :)

I have no knowlege on the female's finnage, and stuff so i cant help you there, but still, she is so beautiful!
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:21 AM   #3 
Myrtaceae

Bwahahaha, another spawn thread to follow.

That male is so gorgeous; I hope you mate him with all (what 10?) of your girls XD

I have no idea how to tell tail types among females. She's a beautiful color though.
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #4 
Badjer

Can't wait to see the results from this pair! I love mom's coloring.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #5 
Bambi

if the female came from a spawn with a HMPK parent then she would carry the short tail gene and might have been sold as hmpk for breeding purposes? Her tail looks longer them most hmpk girls i've seen but you really won't know untill you get fry.
If she's a HM without hmpk geno youll get long finned babies.

I love the daddy <3 I think i saw his AB post, or one of his sibblings, because he seems familiar.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #6 
GreenTea

I bought him probably.. a two months ago from Korwhord. Maybe 3 months, not sure. He was listed twice, no one bid on him. Korwhord gives me fish for 20 a piece, shipping included, regardless of buy now or bidding, so I just bought now because I hadn't seen any like him! The mom is from Korwhord too. I'll ask him about her parents.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

Amazing colors on them. I feel like I've seen the male before.

The fry out of this spawn are going to be to die for! Especially since they are marbles!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #8 
BeautifulBetta

I'm in serious love with that female. I think it's the light blue body with the orange fins that make her so unique :) Can't wait!
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #9 
GreenTea

Well they're really into each other, I'll proabably spawn them again in a few weeks, hopefully there will be babies like her for everyone who wants one!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #10 
bettalover2033

Of course!=)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote