Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #31 
GreenTea

Tonight (Saturday) the fry will be a week old. Unfortunately, they have some sort of parasite, I believe it's ick. They got it from a heater that I thought I had properly cleaned, but apparently not..

No deaths yet, and I have already broken down the tank, replaced the heater, and began salt and heat treatment to kill the little buggers. Everyone is still eating, and not everyone is affected. I am also re-conditioning mom and dad in case I lose this spawn. I'll try again with this pair. I've been overfeeding and allowing them to see eachother for about 10 minutes a day. They always immediately flare and mom bars up in seconds. Her tummy is getting pretty fat with eggs, but to me it's important she fully regrow her dragon scales and recover her fins before she is bred again so it will be at least another week. The fry are still on microworms and egg yolk and doing well.

I will try to get some updated photos of dad up soon. His body has marbled almost completely royal blue with a few white and black scales, and he retained his yellow spotted head with yellow fins. His yellow fins have blue spots on them that I just love. The mother of this spawn is not a marble, so I'm very excited and curious to see how the colors will come out.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #32 
Badjer

Sorry to hear you're having problems, Greentea. I hope you can save the fry! Sounds like this pair is very fond of each other. Both are so beautiful! Can't wait to see some updated pics of dad.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #33 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Tonight (Saturday) the fry will be a week old. Unfortunately, they have some sort of parasite, I believe it's ick. They got it from a heater that I thought I had properly cleaned, but apparently not..

No deaths yet, and I have already broken down the tank, replaced the heater, and began salt and heat treatment to kill the little buggers. Everyone is still eating, and not everyone is affected. I am also re-conditioning mom and dad in case I lose this spawn. I'll try again with this pair. I've been overfeeding and allowing them to see eachother for about 10 minutes a day. They always immediately flare and mom bars up in seconds. Her tummy is getting pretty fat with eggs, but to me it's important she fully regrow her dragon scales and recover her fins before she is bred again so it will be at least another week. The fry are still on microworms and egg yolk and doing well.

I will try to get some updated photos of dad up soon. His body has marbled almost completely royal blue with a few white and black scales, and he retained his yellow spotted head with yellow fins. His yellow fins have blue spots on them that I just love. The mother of this spawn is not a marble, so I'm very excited and curious to see how the colors will come out.
I'm sorry to hear about the fry. I hope they are getting better. Don't worry too much and always remember to stay positive in any circumstance.

Wow these guys might just breed until they drop. I want a pair like that lol. They would be perfect for line breeding. Also Since they are a high quality pair, it makes it even better!

Yeah, it definitely will be interesting to see the outcome of the fry because of the female. Though there is no doubt in my mind saying that you WONT get a single fry without some kind of marble pattern on him/her. This is one of the most interesting logs i'm subscribed to! I'm on many...
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #34 
GreenTea

Yeah they are really into each other. As soon as she sees him, mom wiggles and tries to get through the glass. She flares and is cheeky too. I'm quite fond of her. She was real small when I got her, probably barely 3 months, and she's really grown up and has great fins. Her scales are almost back in! Yay.

Found a few dead fry last night, and almost all of them were at the bottom, although it could have been they were looking for microworms... I also culled some who had empty stomachs, bent spines, and lots of dots on them. There are some size differences and the dots seem to be increasing despite heat and salt. I'm considering medication or just trying over if everyone goes downhill. I have no doubt they'd spawn again immediately.

Here's a female similar to the mom of this spawn if anyone is interested!

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1326855689

Last edited by GreenTea; 01-15-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #35 
GreenTea

It also appears there are some major double tails in there!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #36 
Badjer

Wow! Did you know there were some DT genes or is this total surprise?
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #37 
GreenTea

It's a surprise... I doubt I can get a photo showing them but I will try. I've seen two I'm wondering about moms genetics, is she a hm? A hmpk? A hm with hmpk genes? Did they both secretly have DT genes? Exciting!

Unfortunately the ick continues to worsen despite 50% of more daily changes with aq salt, water heated to 84 - 86 degrees, and daily bottom cleaning... Will try medication tonight.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #38 
BeautifulBetta

Wow gotta love the DT surprise! :) :) Too bad about the ich though, thats lame :( I hope you can irradicate it soon
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #39 
xXGalaxyXx

The parents are absolutely gorgeous <3 Still fond of that male, haha. And that's pretty cool you got some DT's in there - I can't even manage that when I know the parents have DT genes. OTL
Also, I'm sorry you're having troubles with ick :c Hopefully they'll hurry up and recover so we'll get to see what stunners they'll be when they're older! cx
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #40 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
It's a surprise... I doubt I can get a photo showing them but I will try. I've seen two I'm wondering about moms genetics, is she a hm? A hmpk? A hm with hmpk genes? Did they both secretly have DT genes? Exciting!

Unfortunately the ick continues to worsen despite 50% of more daily changes with aq salt, water heated to 84 - 86 degrees, and daily bottom cleaning... Will try medication tonight.
Wow DT? I would have never guessed! This is a great surprise. Maybe you can ask the breeders if there was any crossing before?

Also I hope the ick goes away soon and the spawn thrives! Also you should definitely consider some meds in a few more days if you see little to no improvement.

Good Luck!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote