Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #1 
Seager1991

Question

Ok, so I introduced my self earlier in the photo section, now I have a question.
About 10 years ago when I was ten years old I had a betta, my mom gave him away, but anyway back to my point. I remember reading in a book that male bettas make a bubble net after you breed and the eggs need to go somewhere. Now for my question, this betta is the only betta I own, ive had him about 24 hours and I noticed when I woke up he had built a medium sized bubble net in the corner. I was wondering why he would do that if its only part of breeding and all that. Can anyone give me a reason behind that. Im a new owner and really appreciate the breed so id like to learn everything I can. Also just curious how much is and where would I beable to locate a crown tail betta?
Seager1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

It's just an instinct thing. Most of my males build bubblenests, particularly right before thunderstorms or after a big feed of live worms as I assume they think the breeding season is coming.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #3 
Seager1991

If you dont mind, while your online I have another question well...a few...hes the one in the picture he is a male correct? Also when I feed him he doesnt eat on the back of the pellet container it says remove what he doesnt eat so I do, except the ones that fall to the bottom of the tank I noticed earlier he would eat them after they sat at the bottom for about an hour, does he just not like his food or what could the problem be because I heard bettas love eatting.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Well, new bettas sometimes won't eat anywhere between a couple minutes and a couple weeks o.o I also know my friend's betta, waits for his food to sink before eating them. Each betta is strange and has their own ways I guess.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #5 
Seager1991

Also, he flares up...alot. Even when theres nothing near his home and even if he cant see his reflection...does this mean hes unhappy or mad or is he just showing off, because I want to do everything I can to keep him happy and entertained so he doesnt start eating his own tail which the one I had when I was a kid started doing although no ones ever explained to me why he did that
Old 01-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #6 
Seager1991

Also, he flares up...alot. Even when theres nothing near his home and even if he cant see his reflection...does this mean hes unhappy or mad or is he just showing off, because I want to do everything I can to keep him happy and entertained so he doesnt start eating his own tail which the one I had when I was a kid started doing although no ones ever explained to me why he did that, I just always figured it was because he was sad or something along those lines
Old 01-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

It's actually a fairly normal betta thing to flare. Tail biting, can be from a heavy tail, boredom, stress, or sickness.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #8 
Seager1991

Ok and last question for now, judging by my avatar he is a male right?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

A male VT by the looks of it and a very pretty color :o
Old 01-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #10 
Seager1991

Thank you, the flash on my cell phone makes him look a bit brighter then he is, but when I saw him at the pet store in my town I had to save him there notoriuous for letting there animals starve, the had a whole cage of albino ball pythons freeze to death once aswell :'(

Last edited by Seager1991; 01-08-2012 at 12:54 AM. Reason: first way it,was written was pointless