Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #1 
Jrf456

Upgrading tanks..

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...allon/17248151

Planning on getting 2 of these today.. Good price. I'm going to be upgrading Douglas' and Skyden's tanks to these. Planning on getting filters soon.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...ndingMethod=rr

I already have this tank. I just got it cycled. I will be putting Heather and Brent in this one once I can make dividers.. They're so darn difficult!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3804453

Also getting this in the future.. Going to get a 6 female sorority going. This should be in a few months. Heather is too old imo to go into it, but Poinsettia will, I just hope I can find 5 other spunky girls to go with her. I have a 5-15 gallon heater I can use for this and a 5 gallon filter.. Hopefully the 5 gallon will be good enough, if not I'll get a 10g one?

The only fish staying in a 1g will be Garland.. He's one of those fish who get stressed in anything more.

So, comments? I'd love to hear your opinions.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #2 
Jrf456

I wonder why no one ever likes to comment on my threads? Not trying to seem dramatic.. But c'mon now.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #3 
Jrf456

Hello? Wow, lol. Not even a " Omg those are nice :D " or a " DON'T BUY THOSE THEY KILLED MY FISH " or a " BETTA'S NEED 20 GALLONS OF WATER CAUSE I'M SO SMART. "
Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #4 
bastage

So on the 1st tank.. Its a complete piece of junk.. Just a piece of easy to scratch weak acrylic with some LED lights. I would opt for the basic glass 2.5 gallon tanks over it. All of my betta's preferred the cheaper glass tanks due to more surface area to swim. The 2.5g above barely has enough room for larger finnaged fish to turn all the way around.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #5 
Jrf456

Haha, this was my exact fear. I took the tank out at Walmart, and it actually isn't bad! It is about the size of 2-3 bettas turned horizontally.. I got it all set up and he loves it! Pics soon.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #6 
Jrf456

Any more comments? Douglas L O V E S his new spacious home.. I hope to get pics up soon!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #7 
Jodah

So you're asking for advice after the fact... interesting...

Regular glass tank = 14 bucks max. Filter is 10 bucks, and a basic heater is 15. So for the same price, you could have gotten a glass tank that won't scratch, has more surface area, and is easier overall to deal with. 5 is the safe max for a 10g sorority (yes, there are always exceptions to the rule) and thats even when it's heavily planted/decorated.

A filter designed to filter 5g of water is not sufficient for 10g of water. Won't move enough water to properly filter it, nor will it be large enough to grow enough of the proper bacteria. Females can deal with higher flow than the males can, so thats not an issue with most of the hob filters.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #8 
Jrf456

About the 2.5g tank.. It's gorgeous & I'm happy with it. :3 My last glass tank broke, that's why I wanted plastic.

About the sorority.. I guess. I was told earlier to always get a smaller filter for bettas since they're very sensitive to currents but I'm glad to hear a second opinion. I've seen many members with 7 females and even one member who I can't name off the top of my head that has 11 in hers/his and it has been established for about a year I think? So 7 is good.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #9 
Jodah

As I said, there are always exceptions to the rule.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #10 
ldoerr

I have a 10g sorrorrety tank that I recently set up. The last addition of fish was 3 females. I already had 3 females in the tank. Over night 1 of the new females got bullied sooooo bad that the next day she died. That was a real shame since she was the one I was most attached to (she had a name and everything). So from my VERY limited experience with sororetys, 5 is a good #. The tank still looks like it is well occupied and the females get along really well.
ldoerr is offline   Reply With Quote