Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #1 
chicagojo

Day 9 of 3 tsp/gal Epsom - need guidance re: next steps

I have been treating my son's betta Rock N Roll with 3 tsp/gal Epsom Salts for SBD-like issues since 12/31. He is currently in a 0.5 G QT tank floating in a 2.5G heated (77 degrees) tank with 100% daily water changes. It's really only been the last 2 days he seems to be turning a corner - initially it took him 3 days to poop, then another 4 days went by but he finally pooped yesterday AND today so I feel like maybe he's getting back to some regularity.

I have changed his food to Hikari Micro Pellets, currently feeding a very small pinch once a day. I am also giving frozen daphnia twice a week.

I just realized that this is Day 9 of his 10-day treatment and I need to figure out what to do next after tomorrow. Oldfishlady suggested that he may need to be on a maintenance of Epsom 1 tsp/G - does this impact water changes at all? I would like to move him back to his 2.5 G tank if possible because now that he is feeling better I think he will be much happier there. But I want to make sure I have a good plan in place for his ongoing care/recovery first.

TIA for any guidance!
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You may want to treat for 14 days and decrease the water changes to 50% daily for 3 days then 100% on day 4...schedule....

Once you get ready to place him back in his tank-make some 50% with fresh dechlorinated water for a couple of days to slowly get the salt out and see how he is...if he tolerates the fresh water-acclimate him to his tank water over 10-15 min and add him....you can always add Epsom if needed later to the tank....water changes will be just like you would with fresh water if you need to use Epsom-just be sure and add the Epsom back-premix your replacement water is what I do....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #3 
chicagojo

Ok, that sounds like a good plan - thanks. I was also wondering about how to taper down the Epsom, so that explains that. That is what I will plan to do.

Do you think the Micro Pellets are an ok food for him long-term? Maybe it's a coincidence, but he seems to be doing better since I switched his primary food from the BioGold to the Micro Pellets. There aren't really any clear instructions about how much Micro Pellets to feed so if you have any thoughts about it, that would be great too. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

The Hikari micro wafers and pellets and Ocean nutrition flakes are what I use to wean my Bettas off live food and have never had any issue with them...to be honest I have only used Betta specific food once and only because it was free......I look at the ingredients and want the first and second to be fish/seafood either whole, filet or meal.....
Feeding amounts can vary from fish to fish due to size of the food item and the fish itself...sometimes you have to play it by ear so-to-speak...
Old 01-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #5 
chicagojo

Ok, thanks. I think I have maybe been giving him too much because shortly after eating he got all bloated and floaty again (he had been appearing and swimming fine just before that). I think I am going to need to start him with very very small amounts (like just 5 or 6 Micro Pellets) and see if he can work his way up. At least hopefully his digestive system is back on track and he will poop and get some relief.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #6 
Banicks

I'm not sure how small the micro pellets are. As a general rule of thumb your Betta's tummy is the size of their eye.

I use Hikari Bio Gold Betta pellets, I don't consider them to be micro. Slevin gets 4 and Victor gets 3 per feed, I feed twice a day however I may skip a feed if I see their tummy is still full - this method seems to have avoided any bloated or passing issues. Slevin is a large Betta and Victor is relatively small, you can see both in my sig for pictures.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #7 
chicagojo

Quick update

A quick update: I followed all of Oldfishlady's advice and Rock N Roll has been doing great these past few days as I have tapered off the Epsom - he seems healthy and back to his usual self. I gave his tank (in which his QT tank had been floating all this time) a very thorough hot water rinse & sponge-down, did a 100% water change using fresh dechlorinated water and am now in the process of acclimating him back in there. My son will be so surprised and happy when he comes home and finally sees his fish out of the QT tank! Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come for our little RNR. Thanks SOOOOO much for all the help - there was a time there when I seriously thought we were going to lose him and now he seems so happy and healthy again. I really appreciate all the advice, I would not have known what to do without this forum!

Last edited by chicagojo; 01-16-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: add info
Old 01-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #8 
chicagojo

Oh, and I almost forgot - Banicks, it was so nice to hear from you again. You probably don't remember but you were the first person to help me when I came here several months ago and definitely got me on track to help keep Rock N Roll healthy all this time until he got sick recently. Thanks to you both he and our other betta Feathers II are living in heated 2.5 G tanks, eating appropriate food and getting biweekly water changes (50/100) - none of which I would have known to do before I came here - and generally enjoying life!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Awesome...great to hear he is getting better.....

Look forward to more updates and maybe some pics....hint...hint....lol...
Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #10 
chicagojo

I would love to post a pic of him because he is kind of odd-looking (when we bought him we thought he was a baby but he still looks exactly the same - very small and shortish fins although I am convinced he's a male, not a female) and I'd love to get some thoughts about what kind of betta he is. Unfortunately between the fact that I don't own a camera except for my phone and the fact that he is kind of on the hyper side I haven't had much luck snapping a good shot...I will keep trying though! Thanks again - he is back in his 2.5G and swimming around like a madman - he hasn't had that much space in weeks!