Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Well...even with the best camera it can be a challenge to get a good shot of a moving target...laffs.....sometimes you have to take 100's to get just one good shot...or at least in my case...lol.....some members can get great shots and make it look easy....... I am jealous of them....lol....

Keep us updated.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #12 
chicagojo

I may have spoken too soon...

Well, for the first several hours he was doing great back in his home tank without the Epsom but now he seems to be beginning to struggle again. I am going to wait a little while and see how he's doing but just in case, what is the best way to add Epsom back into his tank - can I just do like a 50% water change and mix all the Epsom into the water I'm adding in, or does it need to be uniformly concentrated when I add it? I must confess I'm feeling a bit discouraged since he seemed to be doing so well...
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Oh no.....I would dip a cup of water out of his tank and dissolve the Epsom salt 1tsp/gal and add it to the main tank....if you have a filter on the tank...turn it off for now....
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #14 
chicagojo

It's so weird...last night he seemed like he wasn't doing well again (drifting onto his side, having a hard time swimming) but this morning he seemed absolutely fine. When I went to bed he was resting on a leaf of one of his silk plants, so I decided to just wait overnight and see, but this morning he is swimming all around and not having any issues. I don't know what to think. I thought maybe he was constipated and managed to pass something overnight but I don't see anything in his tank (he doesn't have any substrate so I'm pretty sure I'd see it). He doesn't have a filter so that's not an issue. I will plan to see how he is doing when I get home from work and add the Epsom as you described if he is struggling again.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #15 
Pitluvs

Don't be discouraged. I had the hardest time with my Hughie, I did two full 13 day treatments because he was still floating after the first treatment. I didn't give up, OFL told me to do another treatment after a break and he finally recovered. With my second treatment, I stopped feeding him because it seemed like he would float after feedings. I gave my guy about 6 days to heal internally (or figure itself out). This is not a suggestion though, it was just something I did out of frustration and it worked for Hughie. He's been a happy swimmer for months now.

But ya know what? I have another now, Kris, who is a perma floater. He has a genetic problem with his swim bladder and I feel he'll never recover. I have had him in salts for a month now, nothing. We're just making him feel comfortable. And I'm ok with that :)

You're doing everything great, don't give up. The fact that he keeps recovering is a good sign :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #16 
chicagojo

Thanks, Pitluvs - that's very reassuring. I am beginning to wonder if Rock N Roll might have some type of genetic issue as well but it puzzles me how he was fine for about 3 months and then got bad again. I will monitor him closely and won't hesitate to do another full course of Epsom since it sounds like sometimes that's what it takes to do the trick. He is such a fun fish when he is feeling well...it is sad to see him struggle but thanks for giving me hope that he can get better.

Oh, I almost forgot to ask - how much of a break did you do between the two 13-day courses of Epsom salts?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #17 
Pitluvs

I only say genetic with my boy because he was bought floating and never stopped, even up to 3tps/g Epsom salts. I have his spawn brother who floats every now and then as well. Just a bad batch of fish here. I'm sure you're guy will make a recovery, like my Hughie did :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Its not uncommon for this kinda issue to be related to genetics or issues in growth and development stages at the fish farm....sometimes these guys can have deformed swim bladders-usually short or malformed in some way that causes buoyancy issues and it can even be related to the labyrinth organ too...its hard to say...but generally they can still live a normal life and all we can do is provide an environment for their special needs and make them comfy.....sometimes we have to keep them long term in low dose Epsom salt 1tsp/gal, lower water level, no filtration/water movement and keep the top covered to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ on top of good nutrition...don't get discouraged......sometimes we are limited and can only do so much....if he is still eating, responsive to you and generally acting okay other than the buoyancy issue....enjoy him and try not to worry too much...easier said than done.....but don't give up either....you never know it could be inflamed duct and it needs more time for the swelling to go down....
Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #19 
chicagojo

So, I am noticing a pattern now that it is in the evening that he seems to begin to struggle, and then he is fine again by morning. Yesterday he was fine all day and then in the evening around 8 pm he seemed to be again having some difficulty with buoyancy (it wasn't as bad as the night before, I never actually saw him tip onto his side or anything and he was still swimming around the surface of the water but didn't seem as energetic and definitely couldn't stay down toward the bottom of the tank). When I went to bed he was resting on the silk plant, just like the night before, and when I woke up this morning he seemed absolutely fine again, just like yesterday morning (and this time he had pooped overnight). Is it normal for there to be a daily fluctuation in symptoms like this? I am feeding him in the morning only for now, not at all at night for at least a week now, so I don't think it's related to eating and both times it wasn't near the timing of a water change. I can't figure it out. I don't want to put him back in the Epsom salts unnecessarily, but for at least part of each day he still seems to be having issues...
Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #20 
Sakura8

Have you checked the temperatures? If, for some reason, the temperature started dipping around the same time his buoyancy issues started, it could be because the water changed temperature too suddenly or dropped too low. 8 PM does seem like the time that temps would begin to dip. :/ Poor guy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote