Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #1 
Pucky21811

Can a female live solo?

I have two males right now who I love dearly. My poor dragon RoundTail has a Swim Bladder injury and if it doesn't clear up I may move him to a more shallow, yet equally large, tank so it is easier for him to get air. I was thinking about (not putting his current bowl to waste, of course) getting another fish, and I am really considering a female.

My question is this: I hear about a lot of people having sororities, but that isn't something possible for me right now being a student. Can females live fine on their own like males, or do they need companionship?

Thank you! :D
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Actually, some females prefer being alone. I also have 2 females by themselves right now, and they don't seem to mind. A sorority is so much harder than a solo betta anyways. you can have a female by herself. Just give her lots of cover (plants, hidey hole), as that will make her feel safer.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #3 
Pucky21811

Thanks! Once I see if Zamboni recovers any better or not from the injury, I will focus on my other boy who probably has Septicema, and treat that for a time. Once he starts to look better (fingers crossed) I will focus on getting a little girl. :)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

If you have Maracyn 2, that helps with Septicemia SOOOO well My tail biter has it once - now he is in a 10 gallon
Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #5 
EvilVOG

my girls are currently in separate tanks. they seem to not mind it. In fact, one did not like the bigger community/sorority tank at all.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #6 
Pucky21811

Oh my gosh Sena thank you SO MUCH! I was just hopping on here to post what I should use because I may be able to go out and get whatever he needs tomorrow. Perfect! Thank you I'm so glad I mentioned it here! :D

EvilVOG: Thank you as well; I want to make sure any girl I have won't be lonely! :D
Old 01-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Yep!! Maracyn 2 - stock up on it o.o Furan 2, Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Ich Guard by Jungle, the whole works - including Epsom and Aquarium salt. Those, to me, are the must-haes-just-in-case meds
Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #8 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Yep!! Maracyn 2 - stock up on it o.o Furan 2, Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Ich Guard by Jungle, the whole works - including Epsom and Aquarium salt. Those, to me, are the must-haes-just-in-case meds
[rant] you people are so lucky that you have no trouble finding such meds at LPS. Quebec is living in 1633 and they dont allow such effective meds to be legally sold. name any other canadian province aside from Quebec and they have it. i think they have 150 med on that do not sell list. cant give a solid reference to the facts but the common effective ingredients in all those meds are banned here. next time i go to plattsburg i'll stock up on all of those banned here.

i was lucky enough to come across API general cure locally, the salts are common also. all we have here is the API ____fix meds. which are good if you dont own a fish with labyrinth organs. [/rant]

sorry for the rant, had to let it out sometime.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Poor nel! they seriously do not allow you to have meds there? LAME >:( I have to order half of my stuff in anyways, because we have "API" and "Jungle" and "Bettafix"...which in some cases better stuff is needed o.o
Old 01-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #10 
nel3

its annoying a heck to tell the truth. they do have ich meds among others but none of the grade A meds you mentioned in the post. its probably a recent law in the past 10 years(??).

a friend of mine (aka my parents' friends) had a salt tank many years ago and they had their kids putting the hands in the tank all the time. the fish didnt do so well with that and they were able to get maracyn and such. walmart was selling betta back but thats one good thing about Quebec. i have yet to see a general big brand store (food sale lobsters not included) selling live animals aside from pet stores.

Last edited by nel3; 01-08-2012 at 11:57 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote