Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #1 
Comet1993

Smile New "Tankmates"!

Thursday, I bought four plants and a moss ball at an aquarium shop near my ice skating rink. =] The moss ball is super-cute and feels like velvet. o.o I bought two bunches of cabomba (I think that's how you spell it), and they look so, so pretty! I also bought two of another plant... I can't quite remember what they're called. =/ They have roots and are very thin and grass-like.. I have all of them in a quarantine tank now that's probably two gallons, maybe 1.5. I thought I should probably quarantine them, since they were in other tanks.. And the other tanks had fish.. The cabomba was with the cutest little discus fish. o.o They looked like they had really adorable freckles and swam after the man's hand when he took out the cabomba. The grass-like plants were with other fish in a different tank. The staff there was really helpful and educated. I'm not sure how long I should leave the plants in "quarantine", but I'm sure Turbo will love them when they eventually get to his tank. =] The first gentleman who I spoke with suggested that I get some sand for the rooted plants, but I'm not sure about sand.. =/ I may just get a much smaller substrate for the area that will have the grass-like plants, but I heard that you can just "bury" the stems of the cabomba. They have three little metal clips on each of the bunches to hold them together. =] I loveee the way they look! The grass-like ones would be really cool to get a bunch of and put them together, like a little forest for him. I'm still trying to figure out a name for the moss ball; such a cute little guy! =]!

Last edited by Comet1993; 10-29-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Editing. =)
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Yay for moss balls! You're lucky you got cabomba. It's illegal in CA for some darn reason. You can just bury the stems of cabomba but for the grass, a fine substrate will be best. You can always put down sand and then some gravel over it. I'm sure Turbo will be very happy to have his moss ball pal. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #3 
Larkspur

I really want to get a moss ball I think James would have fun pushing it around the tank!
Larkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #4 
Comet1993

Thank you. =] I think that the grass-like plant may be a form of vallisneria (if I'm spelling that correctly). Maybe "Italian Val". I love the way that the cabomba looks, and I'm thinking about getting some more. =] They were only $2.99/bunch! Any idea on how long I should leave them in the quarantine tank? :/
Old 11-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #5 
Sakura8

You could leave the plants in quarantine for maybe a few more days if you want. I'm bad, I never bother to quarantine my plants. Just check yours for red worms or snails before putting them into the tank, but even if they have some, Turbo will probably just eat them.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #6 
Comet1993

Thanks. =) The plants look so cool. o.o I'm excited to see how he'll react to the moss ball; I'm still trying to find a name for it. I'm considering removing most of the artificial plants and just making everything natural in there for him. I sincerely doubt that he could tear his fins on actual plants..or a moss ball. Lol. That would be awkward. "How did your betta tear his fin?". "A moss ball.. >.>". xD So weird. I've heard that plants help keep ammonia levels down, as well. I wonder if you can have too many plants, aside from over-populating.. Do plants have any negative effects? Would they affect how I clean the tank? I siphon the gravel, and two of my plants have roots. =/
Old 11-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #7 
Sakura8

There is a theory that moss balls are trying to take over the world and that some of them have mouths that bite. My moss ball Floofi now looks like Pacman.

Sounds like what you want to do is a natural planted tank (NPT). You really can't have too many plants but you do need to have the right kinds. I know a little about plants but if you really want to set up a good NPT, the best person to contact is Oldfishlady. She knows plants inside and out.

As far as I know there aren't really negative side effects to having plants. They can make your nitrate levels a little higher but they will make your ammonia levels lower. To clean the substrate with plants, you can gravel vac as usual wherever you don't have plants. When you need to clean near the plants, just hover the gravel vac over the surface. It will pick up most of what needs to be cleaned out. The rest will be used by the plants as fertilizer/food.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #8 
Comet1993

Okay. =] Thanks. I went back to the aquarium store and found out the name of the grass-like plant. It's isoetes quill. So, I have two isoetes quill, two cabomba, and one moss ball. =]
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #9 
Comet1993

Well... I changed water today and added some cabomba and the moss ball. The moss ball finally stopped floating. xD I put it in about an hour ago. Its sooo cute! Turbo hasn't really noticed it. I put a bunch of cabomba in and a single "branch" of it in, as well. He's already swimming through it and seemed to nip it. =] My brother and sister keep going into my room when I'm at work. -_- They decided to shred the other cabomba bunch; only one "branch" of it was salvagable, from what I could tell. =( I'm not sure about the isoetes quill.. They decided to bury the roots of it, which I've heard isn't advisable. So, I unburied them, but I haven't added them yet, because I'm not sure if they messed those up, as well... Unfortunately, I dropped two of the safest artificial plants in the sink while pouring out the old, icky water.. So, I haven't put them in yet, so Turbo's tank looks pretty...empty. I'm pretty sure he notices it. Lol. For a while, the moss ball was on the side of the tank with the filter, so it was getting stuck to the intake tube. I finally put the panty hose on it. =] It doesn't look too bad; it actually blends in pretty well. The only thing is..it was waterproof, apparently. So, it took a while to rinse it off. I actually stuck the piece into the gallon of dechlorinated water for a while to get it all wet and "cleansed". I can't wait until I can get more cabomba! I'm thinking about some other plants, too. I already love these. =)
Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Cabomba grows really fast too. When a piece of Cabomba gets tall, just snip the top off and plant it. Instant new Cabomba. :) Oh, about the moss ball. Once a week, take it out and squeeze it over a bucket to get all the old dirty water out. Then kinda roll it around in your hand a bit to keep it round.

Why on earth did your siblings shred the other cabomba bunch?