Betta Fish Forum banner

Quick Question about Happy Betta in Smaller Tank?

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 ·
I recently upgraded Mr. Plum into a five gallon tank. He never made bubble nests and never seemed to fully enjoyed all the swimming space. Even with all the plants and hiding spots he just didn't seem happy.
I had to move him into his 2.5 gallon QT tank for some TLC from a heater malfunction and when I woke up this morning their was a huge bubble nest around the plant I put in there! When I lifted the lid to try and take a picture most of it popped and he looked so mad at me. Oops! Anyway, since he made a bubble nest (which he hadn't done since moving into the 5g) and since he seems a much happier. Should I make the 2.5 gallon his permeant home?
Thanks!

#3 ·
As much as the other member hate for me to say this.....a lot of times the heavy fin males will be....or do better in smaller tanks especially without water movement......we like to see our fish in larger space because this makes us feel better and we feel they should feel better too with all this space to swim and explore.....we have to remember that this is a domesticated fish with abnormally/unnatural long heavy fins not found in the wild and most of these males have never been in space much larger than 1gal and by placing them in larger spaces most...not all mind you....just don't feel secure with this space and can be stressful on them and wear them out having to carry the long heavy fins around in all the space.......
This is based on my opinion/experience and observation of years of keeping this species as well as forums with many member that have so many fin issue once they place their long heavy fin male in larger tanks especially with filters........

#4 ·
I've had a similar experience, but even more drastic. Until I can get out to buy a bigger Kritter Keeper, my HMCT Puck is living in a 1 gal tank. When I put him in his .5 gal hospital tank he blew nest bubbles; something he has never done in the 1gal. I think .5 is really tiny, but maybe I should put more decorations in? Oh well, anyway, I'm having the same issue. And OFL, thank you for reassuring me as well.

#7 ·
I definitely agree that the 5 gallon minimum myth is just a myth.. Some fish aren't going to prefer that, while others flat out don't want to be in a 5 gallon tank. My Males tanks range from a 2 gallon Petco hex to a 7.9 gallon Fluval Flora with the majority being in ~4-5 in my divided 20 long. The most important thing is to make sure the water is good & that the fish stay's happy & if they dont seem happy then try something else.

#8 · (Edited)
If it makes him happy then go for it or you can try jam packing the bigger tank with stuff. Lots of things to hide in may make him more secure.

I though bubble nests were just a mark of territory and that they don't really mean the betta is happy...

#12 ·
This is why I was thinking of giving the PK from you Pixel, a 5g tank to himself. I am sure he'll love all that room to swim since he won't have such a long heavy tail to carry around lol But my long tailed boys will stay with the smaller tanks. Actually my only HM, Spidey, doesn't use much of his 3.3g but he was so active in his 1.5g.

I think Bettas build bubble nests out of instinct. They build them when conditions and water is favorable for breeding, not because they are happy. I truly don't believe any Betta would spawn and raise fry in conditions that are not suitable. Like most creatures on this planet, they breed when offspring will survive. Bettas will make bubble nests in a 0.5g tank yes, but that's usually after a water change. Don't keep up with the water, no nest. I usually change my tanks when my boys stop building nests LOL This all what I think though, not scientifically proven at all.

#14 ·
my males prefer larger tanks. my deltas were never happy in smaller tanks at all, and loved the space of their 2 gallons. i may experiment and use Ichi in my 10 for a while, just to see how he likes it. if he likes it, i'll upgrade him. if not, back to his 2 he goes.

personally, i hate longer-finned males in smaller tanks. they can see their tail easier, which will cause them to tail bite.

i do, however, have a Plakat female who hates anything larger than her one gallon. she's an odd case, because she's so cramped in her one gallon, but she's happy in it. i've tried her out in a 2 gallon, and a 1.5 gallon, and she hated both. strange gal...

#16 ·
I think it really just depends on the fish. I have some that have special needs and need shallower water than most. My King is happy in his big tank, but my male VTs esp seem happier in 1-3 gallons. My females are more active than the males. But I don't have a sorority. A lot of my females will rip each other apart.

#17 ·
I also think that the shape of the tank has a lot to do with it. I have an AA Panoramic (5 gallons), which is very wide but not massively deep or tall. It gives my halfmoon Odysseus a lot of lateral swimming space without him needing to fight too hard to get to the top, plus the filter is really gentle. He's absolutely bloomed since I put him in there. :) Now I just can't imagine him in a smaller tank (though since coming to this site, I no longer think 1 gal tanks are of the devil and have no problems with people using them as long as they are clean and warm. :) Thanks for opening my eyes, bettafish!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.