Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #1 
EvilVOG

Help me pick my breeders

Now that i'm back in town and have the time to commit i'd like to make my first breeding attempt. Still have a couple things to pick up but i'm pretty much ready to go, but i still need to pick out my pair.

So here's my males:

#1 - CT age unk. had for a couple months. 1.5" not counting finnage.

#2 - PK from grocery store, Age unk., 2", likely related to female A.

#3 - Giant HMPK from a local breeder(i think, my LFS guy bought him and female B at an auction for me) Spawned on 8/30/2011, 2"+, sibling of female B. Not sure he's got a complete 180 tail spread.

Females:

A - PK from Grocery store, age unk., 2" Coloring is similar to male #2, as they are likely siblings. photo doesn't really show it. She has some fin issues from a case of fin rot/columaris last month, a bit of tail is missing, and her ventral fins are docked. Her anal and pectral fins were also affected, but have completely grown back. She also stress stripes faster than any betta ever. I showed her a mirror to get a better photo and she developed a stripe within 30 seconds and is now hiding... so this photo is an older one:

B - Giant HMPK from a local breeder(i think, my LFS guy bought her and Male #3 at an auction for me) Spawned on 8/30/2011, 2"+, sibling of Male #3. She seems to have some CT-like branching on her tail that her brother doesn't have.

So any of those, or should i get something else? Any thoughts?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #2 
kmcclasky

I think the crowntail male with the second female would make great frys
kmcclasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'm not sure what your goals are but I would breed the red siblings. Though the female has poor caudal (2 end rays), yet the male has good form. Further, their being giant descendants will make it easier to feed fry (big appetite).

Second choice would be male #2 and female #1.

Male #1 has no compatible females .... unless you want to create CTPK.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #4 
tpocicat

Personally, I usually try to breed like colors. Even then I can get surprises. It all depends on what you are trying to breed for.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #5 
EvilVOG

At this point i'm just looking to breed, and get the learning curve going. Eventually i want to breed beautiful, desirable fish, and would prefer to get as close to that result as possible with my first effort, without spending much more money if i can avoid it.

Didn't think i'd use my CT, but he was my original pick, that's why i stuck him in there. Just didn't have much luck finding a CT girl.

Probably will do the Giant siblings. Might look out over the week to see what else i can find around here.

Thanks for the help and advice.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #6 
SDragon

I am in love with your CT male. I wonder what his and F#2's fry would look like? You need to get a CT Female for him. He is stunning!
SDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #7 
Bambi

Male one and female a would be nice for a little variety without adding too much red. breeding either of the first two males to the second female would likely just produce alot of red/blue multies though, but as he has black you could sees some with similar colors to the dad? ~shrug~ all depends on what gentics they all carry.

But I would personally breed the red giant sibling pair. You'd get predictable colors,predictable tail types, and they would have the potential to be larger/easier to see sooner givin enough water changes.

Last edited by Bambi; 01-09-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

Agree with indjo! Those pairs were exactly the ones I was going to say. There is no reason to say the same thing reworded lol.

Though If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the giant Red siblings. I can see that later down the line you will be able to fix the finnage and perfect the generations.

Good Luck and let us know!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote