Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #1 
lreilly

Trying Again!

Unfortunately my first post to this site was about my son's new and sick betta who ended up passing that same night. He handled it quite well and was asking about getting another one the very next day. Of course now his little brother wants one too.

So now we're cycling some tanks (the bettas are coming this week and will live temporarily in some 2 gal keepers).

Finished 'decorating' this one today. Hopefully there's enough hiding spots to keep some cherry shrimp with the betta.

The plants are all low or medium light plants planted in black flourite and there's a 15 watt 6500k fluorescent (not the stock light) over the tank (a petco 6.6 gal bookshelf).

These are the plants:

back center - Bacopa myriophylloides
back right and left corners - Anarchis
mixed in with the stones - micro sword
front right and left - marimo balls

lreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #2 
Tikibirds

Nice

Quote:
black flourite
Is that sand? It kinda looks gravel like in the pic. I plan on adding live plants to my 20G soon but only about 1/2 of it has sand substrate. I only had enough to buy one 5 pound bag LOL
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #3 
lreilly

I'd say it is more gravel-y than sandy. I had to rinse it for a long, long, long, long (add a few more longs here) time in a bucket before the water ran clean - very dusty. I really wanted to use Caribsea's Eco-Complete which doesn't need rinsing and has beneficial bacteria already in it, but no one around me carried it. I've only ever had gravel before, so I can't yet tell you how I like this stuff - so far so good, but it has only been in the tank a few days and there's no fish in there yet.
lreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #4 
PixelatedPaint

Looks great! Itll certainly make your bettas POP in colour. Good luck this time around! Cycling certainly does help!

You can get flourite sand if you like the finer grain stuff. I personally like the more granular variety.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote