Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #1 
Pucky21811

Kritter Keeper Questions

I am finally deciding to move my boys up to a larger tank; the Kritter Keepers. They are each in a 1 gal glass bowl right now. I do have a few questions about them though...

1. What size should I get? I know they say small, large, x-large, etc, but what gallons does each size hold? (I want approx. 2.5)

2. Can they handle the ZooMed betta heaters on the bottoms or do they melt the plastic? I find these really helpful in my bowls and I would really like to continue using them.

3. Can I use my floating betta log in them or does the lid obstruct the use of these? Again, something I really want to keep using cause they love it.

Alright, that's all the questions I think I have... I will probably buy them cheap off of Amazon once I finally make the decision and get some advice from you wonderful people! :D
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #2 
MissFutureVet

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=88555
this should answer your question about the size
MissFutureVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #3 
MandiceP

I can tell you that I had the Small World bowfront critter tank for my current betta and I had some issues with it. First of all it scratched easily which was annoying cause last time I cleaned it out it got a big scratch across the front and it just bothered me. second, I have four cats... lol. And this tank has some little pop out holes in the top to allow cords and such from heaters to escape the tank without getting pinched. Well my kitties enjoyed tormenting my betta through this hole with their paws. The over all sturdiness of the tank was questionable to me as well. If you don't have kitties I wouldn't worry about this as much, but I have now moved my CT into a 2.5 glass aquarium with a mesh cover (for the safety with the kitties) and it has a notch in the side for the heater cord and is much more sturdy and classy looking in my opinion. Just some thoughts. I've always used these critter keepers in the past with no real issues other than the ones stated above. Good luck in choosing!
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #4 
Pucky21811

Well, I do have on kitty but she certainly prefers the big old goldfish in the living room to watch other than my little bettas, and besides, they spend most of the year upstate in the dorm room with me, which (unfortunately) is kitty-less. But thank you for the tips!

My idea I'm leaning for right now is to pull out my golfishes' former tank, a 5 gallon, for both of them. Unfortunately, there is no way for me to find a 5 gallon divider... I guess I'll keep looking :)

Thank you!
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #5 
Badjer

You could always make a divider yourself out of book report spines, craft mesh and aquarium sealant. There's a tutorial on here somewhere. Not only is it cheaper than an actual divider, but IME/O, it's a lot sturdier and fits the tank well. I don't really care for kritter keepers, except to use them as a QT tank. As for the plastic melting, I wouldn't think they melt that easy. Also, I think the ones in Petco are cheaper than getting them off Amazon...at least mine was. The reptile ones are also cheaper than the ones for fish for some reason...
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #6 
nel3

the link for DIY tank divider
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40025
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #7 
Laki

I love Kritter Keepers! I have a medium one- I don't know the measurments but it's about 2.5-3g. It takes a bettatherm heater fine, it's only 7.5 watts. I find with mine, that if I cover it with gravel it does nothing. So I leave it uncovered with gravel and just cover it with an Indian Almond Leaf. I think a larger watt heater is needed :/ If you have a warm room, however, it should be fine.
The cover comes up and off so there's plenty of air space. I cut my own holes in the cover with a sharp serrated knife so the wires can go through. My cat is totally not interested in the tank or watching the fish so I have never had a problem with the cover.
And no, there's tonnes of room for the log :) Just keep decorations to a minimum to maximize horizontal swimming space :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

I have the petco pet keepers. I guess its the large one? Anyways my heaters never melted the plastic but I dont have the ones that go on the floor of the tank. I have regular 25 watt heaters.

The ones in the reptile section are cheaper then the same sized ones in the fish section at petco
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #9 
newarkhiphop

I have a 1G keeper from petco, ya no worries about the heater i have a 7.5w and its fine , although if u get a bigger keep might need a strong heater not sure what they temp is like in your area
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote