Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #11 
Banicks

It is common for a Betta to get a big tummy after a feed - I used to think this was bloating myself but it isn't. Bloating is just a huge tummy that won't go away at all, this can indicate internal issues like parasites.

If he has been bloated for a long time, try fasting and ceasing AQ salt for now. If it still doesn't go away you will want to treat with Epsom salts. at 1tsp per g. But I suspect he may just be full from noms.

If it is a new tank it should be ok. But I had a local fish store that commonly used products and just repacked them as new. I bought a tank from him once and only realised it was used by some slime and scratches along the bottom. But if it was a reputable retailer, I doubt this would be the case - the LFS I went to was a dying mum and pop corner shop.

Disgressing, I couldn't say with certainty at this point mate what is the sole cause or contributors to fishies deaths. Maybe change up your spectrum, different food, different conditioner.

Ultimately it's good you're trying, generally speaking most who come here provide a better life for a Betta than others who don't. So in a way if we can't pinpoint a specific cause for certain, we usually just slot this under the best treatment before they went on to the big puddle in the sky.

Keep trying, troubleshooting issues are a pain when we don't have certainty. But as I said, try changing your conditioner and food.

Which made me think just then, did you feed the same stock of bloodworms to the others?
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #12 
AngesRadieux

It's probably just a very full belly. He really loved the frozen brine shrimp and I probably cut him too big a portion. I only noticed the large stomach after he ate. But he does have quite a few decorations in the larger tank and I'm a little worried about him getting stuck somewhere with his full stomach... I just started the AQ salt today... I fed all the fish the same bloodworms. They all got food from the same containers, so I'd think if it had been a problem with the food Salazar and Regulus would have behaved similarly and Severus would also be showing similar symptoms... But other than his fins having some minor problems and him getting too much to eat tonight he's generally okay.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #13 
Banicks

If they weren't bloated before death not really a possibility. Thought the bloodworms might be causing internal parasites, or just a bad bloodworm batch tainted with something.

*shrug* random thoughts I get. Maybe stick to pellets and treat a bloodworm once a month? See if that extends life span past a month or so.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #14 
AngesRadieux

Maybe I'll try that... I'm just so frustrated. Especially because I know someone who has a betta in an unheated 1/2 gallon tank with water changes just once a week and a single plastic plant as a decoration and her betta's been alive for longer than Salazar and Regulus combined. And now I keep expecting all my fish to just drop dead. But I guess I'll just keep Severus in AQ salt for 10 days to see if his fins get better and do what I can to try to stop other fish from dying.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #15 
Banicks

Good luck mate, hope it goes well.

Post back here with news!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #16 
AngesRadieux

Severus's belly is back to normal and he was pretty active this morning. I don't think he's happy about being in a smaller, sparsely decorated tank, but it makes keeping an eye on him easier. No I'm just worried about his fins. I really don't know if what he has is rot or if it's something else... I guess I'll keep up the AQ salt and look for any changes.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #17 
BETTACHKALOVE

Good luck to you i feel bad.. i tried to read all threads and i might missed something.

When you change the water you sure it the same temperature +- 2*? Because if the water temperature difference more than 2-4* or more then 4* that can put them in shock.

I don't know about filters because i don't have filters for my bettas . I read on this forum that filters for bettas are optional. You are saying that you change the water for 5.5 gall every 3 days. I do 2.5 gall 100% water changes every 5 days. I rinse everything inside ....
I think for 5.5 gall try to do like you do 100% every 6 days. Or you can do 1-50% and 1-100% a week. I love to do as more water changes as possible but i kind of think every 3 days for 5.5 gall too much.

Make sure you remove all uneaten food.

Make sure he will not get bloated again, because if he will you might need Epsom salt. Only if he bloated though..

Also i hope it will not happen to you anymore but usually if you have fish died you don't use the same equipment between other fish and you need to disinfect the tank. And you can't use the same gravel or anything else from that fish. And there is the method to disinfect the tank(hot water not enough)

Also I never feed my bettas with live food only because I am paranoid with parasites, but I think I read that if you feed with live food it better to soak it in the garlic juice to prevent against the parasites.

Also what temperature do you keep your betta in? I really don’t like too warm temperature because I think bacteria and fungus grow faster.

BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #18 
Banicks

Try and take some photos or better yet video - you said he moves around a lot. This will help determine fin rot or not.

Garlic has no effect on parasites, garlic simply makes the food more appetising to Betta. You can always air on the side of caution and disinfect with a bleach solution, but you need to ensure you use a diluted compound and thoroughly rinse afterwards. However unless there is a common and spreading disease this isn't always necessary.

Last edited by Banicks; 01-09-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #19 
AngesRadieux

I'll try to get a video, though I'm not sure if I can on my phone. I was acting lethargic and his fins were a little clamped. I was afraid he was having trouble coping with the AQ salt so I put him in his cup with fresh, conditioned water and I'm floating him in the heated tank to keep him warm. He still swam away when I was trying to catch him to put him in the cup, so he wasn't doing too badly. But I'm just really worried that something's wrong with him. I really don't want to lose Severus.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #20 
Banicks

What is the current tank temperature?