Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #21 
BETTACHKALOVE

I am not sure if it makes sense but is it any matter what water conditioner have been used? I was really careful when i picked water conditioner to use for my bettas. I heard that some of them not sufficient ...I am just trying to understand why they get sick. Looks like it enough water changes.
I also use aged water. I put drops and let water sit for 24 hrs which let some chemicals evaporate.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #22 
AngesRadieux

The tanks ~76. I don't have complete control because I'm using a preset heater, but it works pretty well. I use API stress coat conditioner. I put him back in the tank and his fins are no longer clamped and he's more active... Maybe he just needed more time to acclimate to the AQ salt? I'm keeping a close eye on him.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #23 
Banicks

Stress Coat is a great conditioner. Try and get video if you can for fin rot ID.

Give him time with treatment, even if it isn't finrot the AQ salt will act as a tonic and make him feel more perky.

The temperature may be what’s playing up on him or contributing to sickness/stress/clamping. That temperature is the bare low end of the range for a Betta, might be a little too cold for him over night if it fluctuates. If you can, it may be worthwhile to look towards an adjustable heater, a 25w should fit your 5.5g. If you get one, set it to around 80. My guys love it warm and are active as a hyper puppy at 82. Your ideal range is mid of 76-86F.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #24 
newarkhiphop

Whats your water temp? and where do you buy ur bettas from?

Here is what i would do

- take servous out of the 5.5 keep him in the 2.5
- cut back on all decoration only keep 1 cave like decor
- Add a small amount of gravel
- only feed the aqueon pellets, 2 pellets 2 times a day
- do 100 % water changes once a week, always on the same day when possible, try to get some aqueon betta bowl water conditioner
- keep water temp steady 78-84 degrees

i say all this because the smaller tank is more manageable, keeping less decor can help isolate issues with them, gravel helps certain bacteria growth, keeping the food schedule steady helps, and water temp is very very important.

Last edited by newarkhiphop; 01-09-2012 at 06:23 PM.
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #25 
AngesRadieux

I was able to get some pics and a video. Though, in the video he decided to make a liar out of me and hold still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc3nxRzPzkA

The CD in the back was my attempt at trying to get him to flare so you guys could see his fins better. It didn't work too well, though...

I don't know if you can see it, but I just noticed that one of his pectoral fins is a little damaged. There's no graying around the edges, though. It almost looks like something was nipping it, but that's impossible since he's alone in the tank.

Last edited by AngesRadieux; 01-09-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #26 
Banicks

From my eye it does not appear to be fin-rot. I can see that there is a little bit of black/grey on the tip towards the middle of his rear fin. But it may just be colouring, best continue with AQ salt for the next few days to see if you get any improvements.

And to my eye, he might be a she – or did you just recently feed? Kinda looks slightly egg-laden. I’ve got a couple of friends in higher more experienced places, I’ll ask them to come in and have a look see as well for further opinions. Stay tuned!

PS. Very beautiful fishy :)
Old 01-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #27 
AngesRadieux

When I first bought him, I thought he might actually be a she. On the few occasions when he does flare he has that black beard thing, though, so I'm pretty sure he's not a she. I could be mistaken, though. I don't know if it's visible, but there's also some graying of his ventral fins that had me a little worried.

And thank you. I was all set to walk out of the pet store with just a new filter and heater for my first betta, but then I saw him and I thought he was just too adorable to leave, so I walked out with him and a new set up.

Last edited by AngesRadieux; 01-09-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #28 
Banicks

It's not uncommon for females to flare, especially the aggressive ones. Pet stores quite easily mislabel gender of Plakats and HMPK unintentionally. I’m at a complete loss to say definitively though!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #29 
AngesRadieux

I know females flare, but I read somewhere on this site that only males had the beard. Again, I could be totally wrong. I was suspicious, though, especially because I can very rarely even get him to flare. He's not nearly as aggressive as most other bettas I've encountered. If that is the case, I guess (s)he'll be needing a new name.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #30 
Banicks

Could be an aggressive female or a timid male lol. Any bubble nests?