Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #31 
AngesRadieux

(s)he has blown bubble nests. Some of them have been quite impressive looking. But, I think I've seen some people say that their females have made bubble nests, too.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #32 
Banicks

I read a breeders blog that removed the male post spawn embrace. He intended to see if the female would look after the spawn if a male was to disappear from the nest.

After a while the female darted around, to the nest, away expecting to find him and be attacked. But eventually she started to maintain the nest – albeit the ones she created popped/burst quickly and didn’t stick together as well as the males. The end result was a success at the loss of some spawn, the fry did grow and become sufficient at staying in the nest and then free swimming. So it was an interesting experiment to show females do possess the maternal instinct to protect and ensure spawn survival.

From that I would assume female nests are substandard to male ones – don’t stick together as well. Don’t stay afloat or bubbled long.

Last edited by Banicks; 01-09-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #33 
AngesRadieux

If that's the case, then I'm pretty sure he's really a male. His last bubble nest was pretty impressive and didn't fall apart easily.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #34 
Banicks

Ok my sources have told me:

#1: It's a he.

#2: No fin-rot, looks healthy as a chappy.

I think if you purchase an adjustable 25w heater, the tank temperature will be able to stay at a decent 80F - you should see less fine clampage, more activity and hopefully a long life Betta!
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #35 
AngesRadieux

Well, I'm glad that I was wrong about the fin rot. I hope he really is a healthy fish. If that's the case, I might take him out of the AQ salt since there wasn't any issue with fin clamping until after I started the salt treatment.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #36 
Misakitty

I'm rather inexperienced but do read a lot on the forums (a bit obsessively). I would just say be careful with rapid parameter changes: temperature difference at water changes and salinity differences when you choose to add or remove salt. It does sound a bit like maybe your previous fish were shocked at water change since they died shortly after. If they already had a weak disposition, that may have been enough to kill them. I use Prime conditioner, feed only pellets, and somehow I haven't had a betta death yet even though I am probably not the most attentive owner. Be careful about over-caring, moving them too frequently, shocking them by relocating them over and over. He looked pretty healthy in your video.
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #37 
goldentryst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
I read a breeders blog that removed the male post spawn embrace. He intended to see if the female would look after the spawn if a male was to disappear from the nest.

After a while the female darted around, to the nest, away expecting to find him and be attacked. But eventually she started to maintain the nest Ė albeit the ones she created popped/burst quickly and didnít stick together as well as the males. The end result was a success at the loss of some spawn, the fry did grow and become sufficient at staying in the nest and then free swimming. So it was an interesting experiment to show females do possess the maternal instinct to protect and ensure spawn survival.

From that I would assume female nests are substandard to male ones Ė donít stick together as well. Donít stay afloat or bubbled long.
Wow, that is insanely interesting. o_o
It's kind of beautiful in a way; thank you for sharing that.

(Sorry to be off-topic, I just wanted to say that ahah)

Good luck with your betta !
They are extremely hardy, and yet so delicate it seems at times.
goldentryst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #38 
BETTACHKALOVE

Just about temperature. I read i think even from Oldfishlady that 76* is good temperature. Don’t change the temperature. He already adjusted to it. All my bettas live in 74*. Don’t criticize me though. All my bettas in perfect health and I don’t have any problems.

I agree with everything Misakitty but not about feeding. I feed my bettas with variety of the food. So you don’t need to feed it only with pellets. I have 3 different brands of pellets. I feed 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I give them freeze dried blood worms 2-3 times a wk in the morning or at night instead of the pellets. I hate flakes . I give them cooked shrimp(size of the pellet) the day when I change 100% of the water. I do it the day when I change the water because shrimp don’t float. If betta miss it then it go to the bottom unless betta couch it….

I also fast them one day a week. Sometimes i even give them 2 pellets in the mornign and 1 pellet at night.

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 01-10-2012 at 08:57 AM.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #39 
Misakitty

I feed mine only pellets because when I've tried to mix it up, they just turn their nose up at the other options. :P I've also read a few places that it's much easier to overfeed using other food types, and that there was no real reason you have to switch it up unless you just like treating your fish or have a picky eater. I initially got some bloodworms and flakes because I was worried about constipation, but it's never actually happened to any of my fish 8 months later. I wasn't suggesting that you should only ever feed pellets, but there's no reason not to have that be their main diet.
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #40 
AngesRadieux

Well, Severus's salt treatment has ended early. The fish in another tank decided to cause all kinds of mayhem and I had to do a bunch of shuffling. I fish who, based on the info on every website and forum I looked at, should have been FINE with the other fish in the tank decided to go uber aggressive and ended up killing one fish and harassing another. I needed the 2.5 gallon Severus was in to house the fish that was getting bullied because that was the one I could fit in my bedroom and I wanted the fish where I could keep an eye on it. So that meant cleaning the 5.5 gallon tank (which hadn't been cleaned in a while because I moved Severus out of that one to a tank that made daily water changes easier) so Severus could go in that one. Now, several hours later, Severus is acclimating to the 5.5 gallon tank, the other fish is in the 2.5 gallon tank and I've wrapped a towel around it to make it feel more secure and not have to see the other tank. I really hope it makes it through the night...