Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #1 
DoubleJ

Unhappy Floating on his side on the top

Hi.

Please help me. I have a beautiful double tail Betta I bought from PetSmart about 2 years ago.

I keep him in a 5 gallon tank that uses a charcoal filter system. I keep the tank between 78-81 consistently. I do 75% water changes every 1-2 weeks. I feed him pellets and freeze dried brine.

Last Friday, I noticed he had a bulge on his side and he was much more inactive than usual. I researched on this forum. I did water changes, I did an Epsom salt bath. I stopped feeding him and then only fed him a bit of boiled pea on Wednesday.

I thought I overfed him and he would get better. He's not.

Wednesday I went to the pet store and got him these Marineland ALL IN ONE remedy pills. I took out the filter and put one in his tank each day. I changed about 25% of the water Wednesday. I tested the water: No ammonia, no nitrates, but hard water.

I have given him the rest of the pea. He ate some and left the rest. He is floating on his side on the top of the tank yesterday and today. He barely swims now.

All through this I feel horrible and helpless, and he was still swimming over to me and my finger on the glass until today.

I had hope he would make it until today. He is not outwardly struggling, but pretty lifeless.

Anything else I can try? Please, anything you can think of. Thank you.
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #2 
hrutan

Okay. Don't give him any more peas, they can actually hurt him since he can't digest plant matter. If you feel the need to give him a laxative, try daphnia instead.

The usual treatment for this type of distress is to fast him for 2-3 days, and keep his water clean. Don't give him any food at all. You may wish to put him in a bare-bottom tank so that you can easily see when he poops.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #3 
DoubleJ

Thanks. I will fix his tank tonight, and no more food for Killer. I really appreciate the advice!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #4 
hrutan

Keep us posted. If he does't improve in a couple of days, you may need to treat him with Epsom salt, which can be cheaply bought at any pharmacy. I don't know how to do that, though, so you'll need to check the threads for "bloat" for instructions on Epsom Salt (not Aquarium Salt). Remember that even if the thread does not specifically say so, you must always dissolve salt before adding it to the tank, or you can badly hurt your fish.

Give it a couple of days first, though, to see if his condition improved. My boy took 2 days and did not need a salt treatment when he got bloat and swim bladder distress, which is what it sounds like yours has.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:29 AM   #5 
DoubleJ

Thanks!

I will keep a close watch on him. And I have Epsom salt here at home if he needs.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:44 AM   #6 
FattyBlues

sounds like SBD. epsom salt baths and warming the temp of the water a little helped my betta with SBD almost immediately.
FattyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #7 
DoubleJ

What should I raise the temp to and how do I do an Epsom Salt. Killer is hanging on by a thread. Not swimming unless he has to and not interested in food at all. I have not seen any poop. I think he is just overall sick. It's hard for me not to want to diagnose him with everything: popeye, icK. Maybe I will try to get a pic.

Will antibiotics help?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #8 
DoubleJ

And thanks for everyone's suggestions/help so far. I really appreciate it!

Tags
dropsy, float sideways, overfeeding, pea, swim bladder