Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #1 
MarcosD

Betta Fishes Tail Split!!! Help ASAP PLEASE!!

Ok, so my betta fish has fin rot and so I was inspecting him today and his tail was split!! This just happened today. I don't know if it was the fin rot getting worse or.......my filter!?!? I justed added a HOB filter and today I saw my betta lean against it and it would kind of hold his fins and he would have to swim fast to get unstuck, could this have done it? Or was it the fin rot? My tank is 10G with a heater and 2 filters (Tetra Whisper 3i and Aqua-Tech 5-15). The temp is at 79F and I have been doing water changes often due to the fin rot. Tested my water paramaters, nothing, the water is perfect (I use API Freshwater Master Test Kit). Can anyone please help? He is the only fish in the tank so it wasn't nipping, and I only have soft plastic and live plants.
Attached Images

MarcosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #2 
Roxy

The 2 plastic plants in the back of your tank looks sharp and it may have snagged your betta's tail. It's always best to stick with silk or live plants.

Another possible cause is the filter's intake. You may want to put pre-filter on it or wrap the intake with sheer hosiery / thin sponge.

I would like to ask if there's any particular reason why you have 2 filters in your tank. o_o; Isn't aqua tech enough to filter a 10g since it's rated for 5-15g?

Last edited by Roxy; Yesterday at 08:31 PM.
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM   #3 
MarcosD

Thanks for replying . The plants in the back look sharp but they really aren't at all, they are pretty soft. I have 2 filters because I plan on getting a couple otocinclus and want to keep water parameters pristine.
MarcosD is offline   Reply With Quote