Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2015, 05:06 AM   #1 
Aquatail

Growing Bump on Face and Popeye?

Hi everyone, hoping to get some advice for one of my fish. So as you can see from the pictures, his face developed these bumps and they seem to be growing. The closest eye also appears to have some popeye going on too. The first picture was taken about a week and a half ago, and while the bumps are bigger now, it gives you an idea of what it looks like from the front and a view of his eye. The second picture is a very close up one I got two days ago, taken with the Super Macro setting, but it doesn't really show his eye and I'm pretty sure the front bump is bigger now. Tonight is his fourth dose of Triple Sulfa and the end of the treatment course, it really doesn't seem to be helping at all and I'm not sure what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 to 80
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Lately it's been about a week and half between changes. I know that's not the generally recommended schedule, I've been trying to space out %100 changes to lessen the stress. I hesitate to do large partials because of the pH difference between water just from the tap and water that has been sitting out. I do turkey baster out poo and extra food often, though.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? %100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I haven't tested, but I have a test kit so I can if I need to.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His face has bumps that seem to be growing and one eye seems to have popeye. The bumps don't appear fuzzy.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? I really haven't noticed much of any behavior changes. He still has the same appetite. I think he's slowing down with old age so it's kind of hard to tell if he's lethargic or not, to be honest.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed them about a week and a half ago, but since it just looked like a bump and he wasn't acting any different I didn't take immediate action. I certainly regret that now.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Tonight is his fourth dose of Triple Sulfa.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I can't recall him ever being sick before.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him at the end of October in 2013.
Attached Images

Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:57 AM   #2 
Aquatail

I just took this picture so you can see what it looks like right now. Also, I've discovered that the camera's time is off by like twelve hours, so the first and second pictures may not be exactly when I said they were taken, but it shouldn't be too far off.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #3 
Aquatail

Today it looks like the bumps have developed a whiteish patch. You can see it a bit in the third picture. I still don't really see fuzziness, but it's obviously getting worse. The Triple Sulfa ends tonight, does anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #4 
Aquatail

Well, I did a water change and am going to start Kanaplex today. Hopefully that works a bit better.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

(Going to reply to your PM here instead of there)

I'm really sorry, end of semester woes really; trying to cram everything in!

Definitey try the KanaPlex. When I looked at the other pictures, the bumps on his face look like it has to do with bacteria building up inside which is what causes the pop-eye and subsequently, the bumps on his face, or at least, I've seen it happen before so let's hope it's just that. But if you can soak the med in food and get him to eat it, that would be better and quicker than just letting him soak in it. I believe you can do both ways at the same time, more googling should give more info if you can.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #6 
Aquatail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
(Going to reply to your PM here instead of there)

I'm really sorry, end of semester woes really; trying to cram everything in!

Definitey try the KanaPlex. When I looked at the other pictures, the bumps on his face look like it has to do with bacteria building up inside which is what causes the pop-eye and subsequently, the bumps on his face, or at least, I've seen it happen before so let's hope it's just that. But if you can soak the med in food and get him to eat it, that would be better and quicker than just letting him soak in it. I believe you can do both ways at the same time, more googling should give more info if you can.
Oh yeah, it is about the end isn't it? Good luck cramming!

I did a water change to make sure the Triple Sulfa was gone and dosed with Kanaplex, hopefully it'll help. I could try to soak his food as well if it's safe to do both at the same time, however his small fish formula tends to resemble powder more than pellets so I'm not sure how successful that will be. Regardless, I can give it a try if I can figure out exactly how to dose it. The instructions just say a measure for every tablespoon of frozen paste, hopefully that'll translate into putting it in water and soaking food in it well enough.

Thanks for getting back to me despite the semester woes, I really appreciate it. Now I just hope that Haku's new thing I mentioned isn't serious. Wish I could get a picture to show you, but he doesn't stay still and it's pretty small.

Last edited by Aquatail; 04-25-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Could you cup Haku to get a pic? Try a really small container maybe? Or less water for him to move around in?

Yeah, I'm not so sure how exactly to dose it, I generally just put like quarter of a scoop in a tablespoon of water with the pellets and soak about five minutes since they tend to sink after that which is annoying for me; all my fish eat floating things.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #8 
Aquatail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Could you cup Haku to get a pic? Try a really small container maybe? Or less water for him to move around in?

Yeah, I'm not so sure how exactly to dose it, I generally just put like quarter of a scoop in a tablespoon of water with the pellets and soak about five minutes since they tend to sink after that which is annoying for me; all my fish eat floating things.
Good idea, I'll try that and see if I can get a semi decent picture.

If you've done that dosage and it's been fine then I'll do that. I just don't want to accidently give him too much. Yeah, mine eat floating stuff too. I had a problem with Sky because his aim was off and he kept making all his food sink so I had to get a bunch out with a turkey baster every night. Now though he's learned that when it sinks he can not only try and catch it on the way down, but actually swim down and eat it off the bottom. Before it was like 'Oh it's falling, I can't get it' and 'But I can't eat it now, it's on the bottom and you know that means it's gone'.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:45 AM   #9 
Aquatail

So an update on Sky. He's been on the Kanaplex for about eight days now and his face bumps and popeye don't appear to be growing, but he's been lethargically hanging around more and much less interested in food. The last couple days I've been having to throw a bunch of food in, wait for him to respond and hopefully eat a little, and do that over again until he's had enough. Then I have to turkey baster out a bunch of food and consequently, water. I'm not sure how much he actually got tonight, but he did eat a freeze dried bloodworm. Not the most nutritional, I know, but at least it's something.

Here's a few new pictures taken tonight. I'm concerned over the behavioral changes, but don't really know what else to do besides keep with the Kanaplex.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #10 
Kim

Kanamycin is not absorbed through the gut, so adding it to the food is only helpful for infections within the gut. I'd stop adding it to the food and just keep dosing in the water only. Since kanamycin is primarily active against gram-negative pathogens, it would really be helpful if we could swab the area and see if you have gram positive or negative infection.

Although most fish infections are gram-negative, I've read that some eye infections are gram positive, and a better antibiotic for those is erythromycin. This site suggests that erythromycin can be used along with nitrofurazone for a more comprehensive treatment against both gram-positive and gram-negative pathogens: Streptococcus, Eye Infections in Fish
Since your fish may be running out of time, I'd consider trying this broad-spectrum treatment as your next line of defense.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote