Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #1 
Sailorgirl111

Please help goldfish emergency

Somebody please help me, I don't know what to do- I know this is a betta forum but my goldfish really need help and I don't know where else to ask for help. I rescued five from walmart yesterday, which I talked about in another thread. The are currently in a ten gallon tank ( I know WAY too small for goldies, but it was all I had, and it really was urgent that I got them out. Well, I am treating them with API SUPER ICK CURE and it says that the treatment plan takes six days, and that I cannot perform a water change for three more days. Three of the fish (who were VERY sick, have already died Ammonia levels are rising in my ten gallon tank and I have a 20 gallon set up with quick start, stress coat and aquarium salt. I know they would be much more comfortable there. The two remaining fantails seem much better, they still have visible white spots from the ich but are quite active and seem to be improving. My question is- can I move them in the middle of the treatment, to this new tank and continue treating them there as if I never moved them, or do I have to stop treatment all together if I move them. Or should I just continue treating them in the ten gallon and risk ammonia poisoning. I know this is a betta forum- I just really need help and I am so sorry if this post seems inappropriate.
Sailorgirl111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #2 
VivianKJean

http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142

this topic is dedicated to all other fish (not bettas). Please post this thread in there.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #3 
Sailorgirl111

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianKJean View Post
http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142

this topic is dedicated to all other fish (not bettas). Please post this thread in there.
Thank you so much- as a newbie I really appreciate the advice. I must look so stupid!! I guess you have been there too!!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #4 
BettaStarter24

I'm sure you can move them to the 20 gallon and continue treatment. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I'm not a goldie expert in any way (nor am I a betta expert either) but I don't see why you couldn't continue treatment in the new tank, they'd probably be happier in the bigger tank too.
BettaStarter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #5 
litelboyblu

Well since I own 2 fancy goldfish I am happy to help!

First of all is your 20 gallon cycled ?

How many goldfish do you still have?

Are they non active in any way?

What species of goldfish do you own?

Most likely you bought some common or comet goldfish if you did they will need a much bigger tank or even pond (they grow huge) they can grow up from 12 in or to even 2 ft.

If you bought fancy goldfish each goldfish will need 20 gallons per goldfish.

Now on to the disease and transporting your fish: IMO I would do 75% water changes every day and add aquarium salt. Try to raise the temperatures a bit higher as well.

Transporting your fish: I honestly would SLOWLY acclimate your fish since they are in enough stress already. Once they are in the 20gallon you keep up your water chanes keep your temperatures (not to warm) and keep the salt baths up.

I hope this helps pm me of you have anymore questions ;)
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #6 
Sailorgirl111

Quote:
Originally Posted by litelboyblu View Post
Well since I own 2 fancy goldfish I am happy to help!

First of all is your 20 gallon cycled ?

How many goldfish do you still have?

Are they non active in any way?

What species of goldfish do you own?

Most likely you bought some common or comet goldfish if you did they will need a much bigger tank or even pond (they grow huge) they can grow up from 12 in or to even 2 ft.

If you bought fancy goldfish each goldfish will need 20 gallons per goldfish.

Now on to the disease and transporting your fish: IMO I would do 75% water changes every day and add aquarium salt. Try to raise the temperatures a bit higher as well.

Transporting your fish: I honestly would SLOWLY acclimate your fish since they are in enough stress already. Once they are in the 20gallon you keep up your water chanes keep your temperatures (not to warm) and keep the salt baths up.

I hope this helps pm me of you have anymore questions ;)
Oh thank you so much!! Here are the answers to your questions. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help. I love these little guys.

The tank is not cycled, but I used quick start upon setting it up.
There are two remaining goldfish
One of them is a little spitfire, she is very active and seems happy (but still has ich) the other is slower moving and seems less active, but only just so and he is pretty active as well.
They are both calico fantails
I have raised the temp to try to speed up the ich cycle, the fish seem unaffected by it thank goodness. I gave them both salt baths today- as well as the three that passed away, but they were VERY sick (much much sicker then these two and I eventually decided that they were suffering so I had to use clove oil and do it... Very sad... They were suffering, I guess it was the only thing I could do. I just want to help save their friends!!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #7 
Sailorgirl111

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaStarter24 View Post
I'm sure you can move them to the 20 gallon and continue treatment. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I'm not a goldie expert in any way (nor am I a betta expert either) but I don't see why you couldn't continue treatment in the new tank, they'd probably be happier in the bigger tank too.
\

Thank you very much for your opinion, I thought that might work too but I still wanted advice because these little guys are so fragile right now!! I really appreciate the help..
Old 07-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #8 
litelboyblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorgirl111 View Post
Oh thank you so much!! Here are the answers to your questions. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help. I love these little guys.

The tank is not cycled, but I used quick start upon setting it up.
There are two remaining goldfish
One of them is a little spitfire, she is very active and seems happy (but still has ich) the other is slower moving and seems less active, but only just so and he is pretty active as well.
They are both calico fantails
I have raised the temp to try to speed up the ich cycle, the fish seem unaffected by it thank goodness. I gave them both salt baths today- as well as the three that passed away, but they were VERY sick (much much sicker then these two and I eventually decided that they were suffering so I had to use clove oil and do it... Very sad... They were suffering, I guess it was the only thing I could do. I just want to help save their friends!!
It's a good thing your trying your hardest other people don't even care about fish! Just keep up the good work and they'll be healthy in no time ;)
Old 07-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #9 
Sailorgirl111

Quote:
Originally Posted by litelboyblu View Post
It's a good thing your trying your hardest other people don't even care about fish! Just keep up the good work and they'll be healthy in no time ;)
Thank you so much- I am moving them very soon- they both have mild/moderate ich but are much stronger and more active then when I got them- I feel that being in a clean, well aerated tank with plenty of filtration and aquarium salt is better for them then continuing the ich treatment with ammonia levels rising. I hope that I am making the right choice... Fingers Crosses
Old 07-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #10 
litelboyblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorgirl111 View Post
Thank you so much- I am moving them very soon- they both have mild/moderate ich but are much stronger and more active then when I got them- I feel that being in a clean, well aerated tank with plenty of filtration and aquarium salt is better for them then continuing the ich treatment with ammonia levels rising. I hope that I am making the right choice... Fingers Crosses
Yup great choice I hope they get better! Good luck!

Tags
emergency, goldfish, goldfish help, ich, ich treatment