Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #1 
Sowa

I think he's sick? Help asap!

I just got him a few days ago. He was swiming around fine and eating and now he's just hanging at the bottom of the tank not moving.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons I think
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? just filter
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? couple snails.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? freeze dried blood worms and pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30% or so
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Fluval water conditioner and the bacteria stuff

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? no but his fins are clamped
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not moving, sitting on the bottom like hes dead
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this evening
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no, don't know what to do
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just got him
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea
Sowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #2 
livenatso

My guess is that maybe the ammonia in the water has built up from since you first brought him home and is now at a level high enough to stress him out. Try changing out some of the water and see if that makes a difference. Acclimate him slowly or else it might make him worse (like my fish starts swimming sideways if I don't spend an hour drip acclimating him for some reason and you don't want anything like that if yours is already acting weird in the first place) The sticky by Oldfishlady at the top of the forum recommends two water changes a week for a tank like yours.

I was having problems with the water parameters making my fish sick (clamped, gasping/irritated gills/lethargic) and many members recommended that I get a bottle of Seachem Prime conditioner because it has the power to get rid of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and you can use it every other day to help keep your fish comfy until the tank is cycled. It's well worth the money since it's super concentrated. I was using ten times the amount of conditioner for a bottle of Elive brand that was half the size and only a few dollars cheaper. It appears to be helping.
livenatso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #3 
Sowa

I did a water change. He's still kinda the same. When I came in this morning he was still on the bottom. He swam around a bunch then settled back on the bottom. I really don't want to lose this fish :(
Old 03-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #4 
LolaQuigs

You'll need to increase your water change schedule; one water change per week for a tank that size is not enough, especially with snails. Snails have a very high bioload, and actually I wouldn't keep them with a fish in anything less than a 5g.

In a 2g tank with filter, I'd normally suggest two or three 50% water changes each week, but since you also have snails, I would probably up it to a 50% water change every other day.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #5 
livenatso

if it is some sort of ammonia or nitrite stress then it's gonna take him a while to bounce back. All you can really do to help him is to keep the water nice and clean. Hopefully it's just that you need more water changes and not that you bought an already sick fish. Keep an eye on any new symptoms. For example, my betta developed ich after his immune system was compromised by less than stellar water.
livenatso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #6 
Sowa

They are only 2 really tiny snails, but I will start doing more water changes. I had a different fish in there for ever for this guy and he did fine with the once a week. But if it helps then I'll start doing it more :)
Old 03-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #7 
Sowa

I got a test kit:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: it was barely pink, like 0-5 maybe
pH:7.5ish

I think these are good levels?

Update: I fed him pellets last night which he ignored, and bloodworms tonight which he quickly swam to gobble up. He seems a little better but he still ends up on the bottom.

Last edited by Sowa; 03-19-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #8 
Sowa

Update 2: He seems better today. He's still hanging out near the bottom but when I get closer to the tank he swims around. He seems to be swimming more. Earlier he was all clamped but now he's not really.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #9 
LolaQuigs

Those are good levels. Testing your water is a good idea and will really help you know exactly when you need a water change. Glad he's feeling better.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote