Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #1 
ShadyLex

Bump on side of my betta?

3 days ago I noticed a bump on the side of my betta's body that was not there the previous night. I have no idea what it could be or if it's life threatening. Here's a picture of him I took just now.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 84F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Two Nerite Snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Buffet Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets in the morning and at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week, did the water change yesterday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Slight bump on the left side of his body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hiding more often
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Slight fin rot when I first got him, no sickness otherwise
How old is your fish (approximately)? Owned him for almost a year, Petsmart bought
ShadyLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:54 PM   #2 
FredDaBetta

He might be a little bloated or constipated for some reason… Other than that I have no idea. Maybe try giving him a fast day?… Sorry I couldn't be much help lol not that good at diagnosing things.
Ciao.
FredDaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #3 
Tree

I am having this same issue with my CT boy. I have looked up many things that might be the culprit.

1: Constipated
2: SBD (swim bladder disorder)
3: Infection
4: Internal parasites, like worms
5: Tumor

everything but Tumor and SBD can be cured. but I would like to rule out all of these issues to find the correct diagnoses.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:22 AM   #4 
FredDaBetta

SBD can be cured… I think you might be thinking of dropsy? Maybe? SBD is really easy to cure. You fast the betta for slight bloating.
FredDaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #5 
ShadyLex

It's not anywhere near his stomach, it's more like behind his anus. So I don't think it could be bloating. I took a side picture of him for reference.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #6 
Tree

It can be cured? I thought if it's a really bad case of SBD there is no way to treat it. My boy Gar has SBD all his life and I have tried to cure it to no avail. His buoyancy is all off. he floats down to the bottom of the tank.

oh and found out that my boy Sardine just had a bit of constipation it went away but then I fed him today he blew up again. =/ Sardine also has a small case of SBD but not as bad as Gar. Try fasting him for 3 days or more. Oh and What I did for my boy was place a mirror at him for him to poop. It helps mine poop. I hope the lump shrinks and is not any of the other lists above. =(

Last edited by Tree; 07-29-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #7 
KandyK

SBD from what I've read:
is more of a symptom of something else. It occurs when there is a change from bloating, constipation, bacteria, injury, etc. that applies pressure/messes with the swim bladder (towards the tail of the betta). Of course if it's from overfeeding or constipation then the fish is fine once you remove the pressure from the swim bladder, which is easy to do... If SBD is from an injury, bacteria, parasite, or happens to be a birth defect then it's a different story. More often than not, people overfeed their betta or they get bloated or constipated from low quality food which in turn effects the swim bladder temporarily.
Again, from what I've read while going crazy trying to diagnose my fish.
KandyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #8 
Tree

So I guess it depends on how far the SBD is? If it's been with them their whole life too just over feeding to make them bloat.

Let me know if fasting works for your boy ShadyLex.

Just one omega one pellet makes my boy blow up so it is hard to not over feed in that case.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:04 PM   #9 
blueridge

ShadyLex it definitely looks like the beginning of a tumor. There isn't much you can do but keep an eye on it. I had a boy live with a tumor for a whole year before it finally killed him.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #10 
ShadyLex

Oh boy, I feared it was a tumor. Couldn't be SBD since he swimmings well. I'll keep a close eye on it and post any changes to this thread. Not going to try any medication you until I know for sure something can help him.