DorothyN

Unhappy Help diagnosis please?

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Room
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No other fish (there is a plant though)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 omega one betta buffet pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every two weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? As much as possible (90-100%)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AquaSafe dechlorinates & conditions

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Unfortunately I do not anything to test the water with.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloating and a bump on his side.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Doesn't appear to be as active and he appears to be leaning to the side with the bump on it.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes. At first it was just bloating so we thought it was swimmer's bladder. We had him fast for a couple days and the bloating did go down some however not entirely. Then we noticed he appeared to have a bump on his side. So we did a full water change and started treating him for a bacterial (API T.C. Tetracycline) and fungal infection (API Pimafix). We did a 25% water change on day 2 and day 4 (yesterday) as per the instructions. The carbon in the filter was also removed.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes. He has had swimmers bladder once before from being overfed.
Attached Images

DorothyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #2 
DorothyN

Here is another picture closer up on the bump on his side. Oh and his name is Al by the way.
Attached Images

DorothyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #3 
Cerulean

The first thing I can say is sorry your boy is sick. The second is that you are not doing Enough water changes in a tiny tank like that and this is probably what has been causing his issues. It is hard to tell from just one side but if the bump is on both sides and when you look down on him from the top his scales stick out like a pine cone it is probably dropsy. The first thing he needs is a a lot more clean water days. Don't feel bad we all have to learn , I did way back in the day too and it is a common mistake. You are trying to fix him now and hopefully you can. It is probably bacterial but others may say differently. In a tank that size you should be doing a water change every other day I would think , I would say about 25% but that is me. For further reference on this topic from experienced people I would go to the betta fish care part and look up stickys on guides and resources and it has recommendations for these types of things. A testing kit would also be an invaluable kit whenever there is any question. Good luck. Hope this offers some help.
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's possible that he has a tumor, can you get a picture or a few from above? You could put him in a little cup if you've got one so we can see him clearer, at the moment the pictures aren't the greatest to work from.

I'm in agreeance with the water changes, 1 gallons should be done at least once weekly if not twice especially if there is no filter but even with one it's best to do a 50% and one 100%.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #5 
beautiful Betta

A heater would also benefit him. What temperature is your tank at? Being too cold can effect your betta's health.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM   #6 
bythelastlight

Agree wholeheartedly with lilnaugrim on the water changes! When I've had a fish in a 1 gallon I change it at least twice a week and one of those is always a full change. I'm guessing this might be an internal infection. I would treat with 1/2 tsp epsom salt per gallon (or max of 1 tsp if he gets severely bloated) and the antibiotic Kanaplex. If you try the Kanaplex you should make sure you've removed all of the tetracycline first though.

This is based on what I can see in your pictures. However, better pics would really help. Is the bloating even on both sides? Do his scales stick up at all? Like lilnaugrim said, a tumor is possible, but it's hard to tell without pics from multiple angles and above.
bythelastlight is offline   Reply With Quote