Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #1 
meofsharick

Question Betta will not eat ANYTHING

Hi y'all. So I just got a new little guy on Monday, and he's definitely quirky. He literally will not eat anything. At first I thought it was just because he was adjusting to his new home, but after five days I feel like he would've eaten something?
I have tried bloodworms, dried shrimp, and the pellets, and he ignores all of them. I even tried the garlic soaking trick and he still didn't care about them. Sometimes he'll just stare warily at the food before swimming away, and every once in a while he'll go to eat it but then just spit it out and let it fall to the bottom.

I don't know what else to do, I don't want him to starve to death out of his own sheer stubbornness.
meofsharick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #2 
Neecy

maybe he's used to the flakes?
Neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #3 
jackfaz

Sometimes they just don't eat right away. Keep offering the food but scoop it out if he doesn't eat it within a few minutes. My one picky eater didn't eat consistently until I had him for almost 3 months. I finally got him to eat New Life Spectrum Small fish formula. They're very tiny pellets so they don't really have to chew them.
jackfaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #4 
haveyouhadyourteayet

Are the pellets small enough?
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:58 PM   #5 
javert

Look for poo in the bottom; if there is poo, he must be eating.

Are the bloodworms frozen or freeze dried? The former tend to be a success with bettas. Some bettas also dislike the pellets and favor flakes: offer him betta oriented flakes.
javert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:03 PM   #6 
meofsharick

The pellets are definitely small enough, it's all the same betta food that I've had from previous fish not long ago, which ate it all fine.
He has definitely not eaten a single thing, I've taken out exactly as many pieces of food as I've put in, there has been absolutely no waste.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #7 
haveyouhadyourteayet

Sometimes they have dumb mouths. I'd give crushing it up a shot, see if that helps at all.
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #8 
jackfaz

What is small enough for one betta might not be small enough for another, depending on what their breeder fed them and how old they are. Maybe try crushing or cutting your current pellets? Also, some bettas are odd and prefer to let the pellets sink then they'll scavenge for them later. One last idea is to walk away after you put the pellets in. Maybe he feels intimidated? Give him maybe ten minutes to eat then come back and clean up. These are all things I did with my picky eater and now he eats basically everything and begs for food.

Regardless, he won't starve to death if he's otherwise healthy. If he's hungry enough, he will eat. Animals have instincts.
jackfaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #9 
meofsharick

Well I've definitely tried walking away. I've tried to even cover the sides of the tank before in towels and left him for a few hours, but all the food was still exactly where it had been when I came back. Also, tonight there has been food sitting on the ground in plain reach and he sat right on top of it and ignored it.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:35 PM   #10 
meofsharick

And he definitely knows it's there, quite often he'll eyeball a piece of food but then decide he isn't interested and swim away.

Tags
eating disorder, eating problem, food, not eating, will not eat