Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #1 
wingsofsound

Tail biting or fin rip?

So, I got James not that long ago and I noticed today that his tail looked a bit odd. Is it a rip or is he possibly biting his tail? I haven't seen him bite his tail so I'm really unsure. Maybe someone could give some insight on this please?

His tail about two days ago:

His tail today

wingsofsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Unfortunately, he's biting >.<

Ripping would be a slit in the fin, not chunks taken off. Each fish have their different reasons why they bite though the most common reason is because he can see another fish he can't get at and is frustrated or he can see his reflection (You can use construction paper or something mat to cover the sides you don't look through to help limit that).
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #3 
wingsofsound

I was planning to get him a few ghost shrimp to hopefully keep him entertained. Should I still do this or just refrain from it? I was thinking it might be his reflection he often attacks one side a lot so I'll try and get something to mat it for him.

Last edited by wingsofsound; 07-24-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They might help, there's no guarantee to it though but it might work.

Mainly, just keep his water nice and clean with your regular weekly water changes to ensure he doesn't become infected. Otherwise, the only thing you can do is try to find his tick, which sounds like it might just be the reflection which is easy enough to fix compared to other ticks and chronic biters!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #5 
wingsofsound

I've only had him for about 6 days now, I was going to do his water change tomorrow but I decided might as well do it today. I'll try getting him ghost shrimp still to keep him distracted and some construction paper. Hopefully one of these are his ticks or at least stops him.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hopefully it does! I know owning fin biters are no fun! I've given up on my VT biter though, he's in a fully planted tank so I never worry about the water changes or anything since the plants keep him healthy and safe but of course, in a non-planted tank you'll have to do weekly/biweekly changes depending on the size of the tank!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #7 
wingsofsound

He's only got a moss ball so it's not quite 'planted' and he's in a 5.5 gallon so I think it'd be weekly changes.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yep, weekly or if he looks like he's really starting to get ragged, go to twice weekly changes 25-50% and he should be good.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #9 
wingsofsound

Okay, thanks for your help! I put black construction paper around his tank except for the front so that should help now. c: Water change soon and then later I'll get the shrimp.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Great! I hope it really does help out! Let me know if he continues and we'll try to figure something else out for him :)