Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #1 
TaffySBuddy

18 month old betta with recurrent Illness

My betta had either dropsy or swim bladder earlier this year... Local pet store advised me to greet with Kanaplex (3 doses, 1 dose every other day.) betta energy has been lower ever since then, and has swum less. Last Monday, her belly began to she bloating/raised scales on her right side (I stress, the raised scales are only on her right side near her belly.) I hace resumed the kanaplex, as well as 100% water changes for the past week and have not seen any improvement.

Eyes also look a title inflamed. Not really pop eye, but definately not normal.

Betta in 1 gallon bowl, heated and filtered (though as per instructions of the aquatic store, have removed th filter during the course of treatment.)

Water temp about 86 degrees.

Water treated with API betta fix, Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus, and aquarium salt.

Fed Aqueon betta pellets (picky eater -- this is all it's ever shown interest in.)

Should I continue with kanaplex? Try a different drug? Any insights are appreciated. I feel like the little guy never completely bounced back
TaffySBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

So she's now definitely entering dropsy (I'm a little unclear). Are her poops normal colored, or white-clear or stringy?

I would finish the course of kanaplex, and possibly add 1tsp/g of Epsom salts to her water. Epsom salts will help draw out the fluid and reduce pressure. Keep in mind that while kanaplex is fairly safe, as an antibiotic it has the possibility of further damaging the internal organs, especially the kidneys (which are probably already compromised). After completing this three dose course, I would give her a break from the medications or you risk shutting down her kidneys.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote