Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #121 
Xiuhcoati

Blue is still alive, and back to bubblenesting so I'm thinking it's his coloration and I'm panicking unnecessarily. Whew! Didn't really pay attention to my bettas exact color before x.x

Everything seems to be normal over here. I sincerely hope someone can find out what it is. I found out from a local vet you can send bodies away to be necropsied, but starting price is $150.
Xiuhcoati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #122 
prodrumernate

ive dont that before..not realize the colors of mine..thought something was wrong.looked at an older picture.realized i just didnt pay attention at the time ;)

150 dollars?wow...this disease seems to be striking more often,,,makes me curious to what it could be..
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #123 
Sakura8

Xia, if necessary, anyone who does send away for a necropsy will be reimbursed for the costs as long as that person has PayPal. Forgot to mention that sooner.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #124 
prodrumernate

oh the place that that person sent it off from reimburses them?im not even sure where i could do that here.God forbid any of mine get it...im almost wondering if its a genetic type of things and not so much a disease.like a mutation..are all of the infected one from pet stores?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #125 
Sakura8

The place doesn't reimburse them but I will, and maybe some other members who might want to chip in.

I tend to think it is a genetic issue as well, seeing as so far the majority of bettas affected are blue. Perhaps even if the betta isn't solid blue, it must have to carry a certain blue gene (no pun intended) to be affected. Also, the fish who were affected were from all over the world. One case was in India, two were in different parts of Canada . . .
Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #126 
prodrumernate

oh wow thats awesome..especially for those who want to do it but may not exactly be able to afford it.. :)

i too think even though it is 1 of a different color..it has a dominant blue gene trait in it that carries that disease..since its all over the world.can rule out it being from a certain source and has to be most likely a gene problem..could have laid dormant for a while.and new conditions have woken it up..climate change.water conditions.or whats in the waters itself since water is treated and not rain water sitting on the ground..there are so many different variables that could cause it.could even be plants.as well as the oil on human hands when we clean out our tanks.

if i had the gear.id do my own research..look for maps of a healthy betta gene and see if i can find any patterns that may differ from the sick ones provided i can see a sick 1 or any difference in gene with the ones i now have if possible to extract DNA samples without harming mine.though i could go to LPS and find dead ones as i have recently
Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #127 
Xiuhcoati

I'll see about getting the company name. You have to ship the fish soon after death...a few days is too long.
Xiuhcoati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #128 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiuhcoati View Post
I'll see about getting the company name. You have to ship the fish soon after death...a few days is too long.
thank you..im also out in phoenix as well if that makes any difference on closer locations..but would like the info just in case or if i know ome1 nearby or any1 who has an infected betta/fish i can inform them if symptoms resemble it..
Old 09-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #129 
Sakura8

Thanks, xiuh. I can pass the name of the company on to DarkMoon17 as well.

Nate, I agree, I wish I had a whole lab and a research team to tackle this. Just buy all sorts of blue and mostly blue bettas and watch and wait. A lot of people have theories out there on what this is but I'm like you, I think it's genetic and linked to a certain blue gene.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #130 
prodrumernate

ive been keeping a closer eye on all my fish especially Keiichi since he is blue..he seems fine and being himself again..but with his fins still torn off and not fully healed yet.hard to see if anything big changes on him or not.....this is when i need to win the lottery.or 1 of us win it..and start a small lab of a few on here..get some research done :) does it have a name yet?or some kinda search term i could look online about to get more info?i know there wont be much info but i could see what else i can find