Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #231 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

What I am not understanding... Is this bacteria only able to affect blue betta splendens? Others coming into contact are not affected?
My last fish with any blue is on his way out, I expect he'll be gone when I get home, though not certain whether or not it would be the disease.. Any pictures of how to do necropsy and what to look for? Or anywhere to send the fish for a reasonable price (in Canada)?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #232 
Sena Hansler

The signs.... Usually lethargy, but more like a tired or lazy fish. Mos won't catch that. Second sign, is the one we see first. The fins go black, or ash grey, as the fins are dying. Only thing I found worked was kanaplex, on Shadow, when I noticed he was more "tired" and watched him and caught it as it appeared. If the fish gets ich (Maine did, overnight) the ich will move away hours before it spreads, as it needs to stay on a live host.

Here has been records of non-blues getting infected however it is more dominant in blues oddly. It could be an underlying genetic default, just like some diseases or problems for us only hit male or female, or even races, while a small fraction of anyone else gets hit with it.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-18-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #233 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

How obvious would the grey be on a black fish? His body has turned silver in death.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #234 
Sena Hansler

Not too sure. 2 of mine were royale blue with black and red here and there. It was obvious due to the crumpled look of the dead matter, and the silver grey coloration that became of their fins. Then their bodies. Can you put a picture up for us to determine it?

Another one of mine was a lovely blue based green. He was the late comer. Riddle was a steel blue.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #235 
bryanacute

AHHH the mystery desease. I had a fairly young female die due to unknown causes, but she had no signs of this desease.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #236 
lillyandquigly

I have a question, have any of the bettas that died had a disease before? Maybe it's some crazy rebound
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #237 
lillyandquigly

lol never mind just realized it's already been found out what this disease is. I just wish there was a cure
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #238 
LebronTheBetta

The gray will always appear first on the fins, correct? What if you cut out the infected part? Or will it be too risky and life threatening? There's no cure for this disease at all. Maybe taking the infected part away will somehow "rid" the disease from the fish?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #239 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Cutting away the grey sadly will do nothing, as the grey is a side effect from the internal organ failure. :/
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #240 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, okay. Dang it. /: So there's no possible cure at all? And can this happen to other fish? (Sorry if I missed it in the thread, I usually look at first and last pages.)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote