Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #21 
Queenfaerie

Hi! I really didn't have time to read all the pages of this thread. I'm pretty sure my fish has this. When we first got him a month ago, his lower fin turned gray and fell off. He hadn't eaten in a week and just laid on the bottom of the bowl. After the piece fell off, he bounced back and was normal again. This was until about 3 days ago. He is now in a 10 gallon tank, he was hiding behind the filter and wasn't really active. Yesterday I noticed back tail had a grey spot, and he isn't swimming well. Today is even worse. Part of it has fallen off and there is a skeleton of the fin with little chunks on it. I uploaded a video to my photobucket. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...e/4df050eb.mp4

Help!
Queenfaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #22 
Sakura8

Hi Queenfaerie and welcome to the forum. It does look like your guy has something at least very similar to this that is killing the tissue on his fins. In your case, it looks like a really vicious strain of fin rot. :( Can you get any medications? Start looking for a medication called Seachem Kanaplex - you may have to order it online. If you can't find Kanaplex, get Maracyn II. Until you can get meds, put him in 2 tsps of aquarium salt per gallon. Predissolve the salt in a bit of tank water before you add it. If you have it, use API Stress Coat.

You can go ahead and private message me if you have any more questions. I hope this helps your little guy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #23 
frazier71

Okay thank you. If it does strike is there any meds if caught at the very start?
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #24 
Sakura8

Your best chance would be if you could administer kanamycin asap.. This broad-spectrum antibiotic is most often found in Seachem Kanaplex. Combining Kanaplex with Neoplex may help even more. Unfortunately, these medications are pretty hard to find in stores and most often have to be ordered online. If you can't find Kanaplex, I'd probably recommend either API Furan-2 or a combination of Mardel Maracyn I and II.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #25 
erinandares

Yeah, I was the someone. My pink dragon boy and my purple marble both died of it (as far as I can tell). The thing is, though, the pink guy had that ochre yellow-orange color spread first, then the grey-black. It looked almost like two stripes on him by the time I got the guy to get rid of him.

Also, there was a yellow guy, rasboras, and guppies who may have died of it, but I can't be sure. The guppies' tails were decomposed and everything, but I can't say with any certainty that was what killed them. I had a total of 14 fish (5 rasboras, 6 guppies, 3 bettas) die within a week and a half at most. And a snail. :c It's been a rough one...

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. But if it helps anyone at all, the guy at the pet store I went to said he had seen it before, but never seen in so severely or move so quickly. So at least some people know it's out there, you know? :/
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #26 
Katy

I can attest it's not just blues that get it. I've had a red female (and 3 blue females) die from it. More common in blues it seems, but my red female was the first affected actually.
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #27 
erinandares

I hope people don't just look at a sick fish and automatically assume the worst. :/ I don't like posting in this thread because I feel like I'm perpetuating something. It's like getting chicken pox and the doctor thinks it's smallpox.

At the same time, though, I didn't think my fish would get something like this, and I didn't even know what was killing them until Phaistos died and then the very last one get sick. I still don't know what killed the rest of them.

The guppies were only in my tank for a day and a half. On a weird note, I found the last missing guppy buried underneath plants and gravel when I broke my tank down yesterday. It was the most horrible, lumpy gray thing I had ever seen. I didn't recognize it as a fish. :/ I won't describe it (too disgusting >.>) but I'm fairly sure it had at least something to do with the gray necrosis that killed Erasmos and Phaistos, if it wasn't the same thing. Maybe it took advantage of the dead body after the fish had died though? Like I've said, I can't be certain.

Just... new fish owners, please don't assume the worst about your fish. :c It's sad that we would have to see a disease like this at all, but it seems pretty rare.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Erin, to address your concerns: this thread is for people to read about the symptoms of this disease and to report any possible cases.

This thread is not to scare people away from keeping and loving blue/teal/red bettas.

Just to reiterate, anyone who has a betta who has exhibited similar symptoms to this disease is asked to notify me or DarkMoon17, especially if there is a possibility the betta can be submitted for tissue sampling. We would like to find out the exact cause of this disease so we know how best to treat and/or prevent it.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #29 
AltheaGlyndwr

Rainbow

Rainbow, my mostly blue, green, and teal betta (although he also had a black face, red in his fins some purple and white at the very tip of his front bottom fins) passed on sometime in the night. Yesterday morning he was fine and chipper. Then when I came home from work he was hiding in his coral reaf hidey hole and only came up for air. I noticed his face was covered in white stuff and his eyes were glassy. His back fin mainly was deteriorating and all his fins had a dark grey/graphitey look to them. It got worse over the nest few hours and he started getting really slow and lethargic as well as just letting the current carry him around. I tried treating him with some fungus clear stuff (that said it was also for fin rot and cloudy eyes and everything else he appeared to have) but that obviously didn't help. I simply thought that he and one of the new African Dwarf Frogs that I just got (who was dead upon my arrival home) got into a fight and the frog beat him up pretty bad. But I researched all over and found nothing at all about it and so finally asked on yahoo answers. Someone posted and suggested this malicious disease/thing might be the culprit. They were right, I came here and looked around and he most definitely had whatever this crap is. It killed him in about 12 hours I'd imagine. I'm horrified. He was the first Betta I've ever had (first fish too but I've had him since November) And I've tried so hard to be good for the little guy. Now... he's gone.

I'd like to donate his body so that we can find out what is killing all these babies. I am very upset and angry and a lot of other things. I really loved that fish :/ Should I call up veterinary clinics in my area and see what they can do? Should I send his poor little eaten body to this Darkmoon person I've been hearing so much about? I'm afraid to get another betta cause I don't want to lose them like this again...
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #30 
CreativePotato

Today when I went to PetCo., as I was admiring the bettas as I always do, I found three fish with this mystery disease. Two out of the three were blue, and the third was teal, more green than blue. Any information helps, right? *useless*
CreativePotato is offline   Reply With Quote