Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #411 
Helena1

pictures of him, tonight...

I really hope tetracycline will cure my poor fish...

Helena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #412 
Saphira101

Oh, poor baby. :(

Good luck.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #413 
LittleBlueFishlets

Helena1 - I would call around and see if you can find a petstore that carries Kanaplex (kanamycin). Petsmart and Petco don't carry it, but some local stores might. If you can't get it locally, you can purchase it online - but if you do this, I recommend overnight shipping (if you can afford it).

Also, take precautions for yourself. Wash your hands well after working with him. If you have other fish, make sure his equipment doesn't come in contact with them.

I hope he makes it!.... But... if he doesn't, please put his body into a plastic bag. Do not touch him. Most aquatic diseases don't affect people, but it's better not to take a chance. And then ask us about disinfection techniques.

Again, I hope he makes it. Good luck....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #414 
Helena1

I tried. But it's getting worse

Thank you all for your advice

I couldn't find Kanaplex in local pet stores, even ''specialized'' fish stores. Trying to find it online.

I am now worried about my own health because I have 4 or 5 scratches on my hands and I didn't use gloves yesterday --- I wanted to remove all the plants, rocks and gravel out of his aquarium to wash them and my hands were in the water for like 20 minutes!! I ended up putting everything back in the tank,not knowing what product to use.
?? Will I be able to use the tank if I want to buy another fish???? I am reading an article right now and they are saying that you have to get rid of the tank, plants, gravel, filter, etc, because the disease is highly contagious and there is no cleaner that can get rid of this disease, even bleach can't.

About my fish:

This morning, the ''silver'' patch on his fin is now covering part of his belly. I can see it's slowly eating him. It's like the flesh-eating disease.

He seems to be having some difficulties swimming. His entire body his dark grey, except for his lower jaw, which is white/grey, and the silver patch on his fin and belly.

The part of his fin that was covered with this silver thing yesterday is now brown/black.

He did eat this morning, but not much and he's having trouble swallowing I think. He could not eat pellets, so I gave him flakes and he took a few bites then turned away.

I am convinced that this is the same disease. It is sad to know that he is suffering and there is nothing I ca do to help him.

If you have any suggestions on how I can help him (is there some kind of pain medecine I could give him for his last few hours/days??!)
how I can clean the tank and what to do so I don't get sick, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you all for your help.

I hope next time I am posting a picture on this forum, it's a picture of a healthy, happy fish. Maybe Edward-Henry the Second.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #415 
fishgeek

Definitely get some gloves. Toss everything -rocks, plants, gravel, decor, nets, anything used in that tank. I sanitized my tank using a strong bleach solution. I had a 6.6 gallon, basically I poured a whole bottle of bleach in it, then filled it up with water. Then I turned on the filter and let it cycle the bleach for 30 minutes - 1 hour. Then I thoroughly rinsed everything, and ran warm water (with a ton of water conditioner) through it for another 30 mins. After, you can use rubbing alcohol to further disinfect, but I did not as there was a very strong bleach smell and I was concerned about the fumes mixing. Chemicals are scary. I feel confident my tank is fine, but I will be re-selling it because my next fish is coming from a breeder; I plan on breeding and I don't want even the smallest risk. As for the fish...it sounds really, really bad. If I were to ever see this again with my fish, I would probably try to euthanize to end the pain.
fishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #416 
Helena1

It's over

I have decided to euthanize my poor fish because I know he was suffering.
My boyfriend did it, with ice I think. I am very sad, I loved him very much and seeing him suffer like this was hard.

I will throw everything away and clean the tank. But are you sure that I can use my tank again??!!! I was thinking of getting another betta, but I don't want him to get sick...
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #417 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Is the tank glass or plastic?

Bleach will not kill this. You need an anti TB disinfectant, like 70%+ alcohol or hospital grade Lysol.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #418 
Helena1

disinfecting tank after Fish TB

it's a 10 gallon glass tank
I have a filter and heater.

I need a new net, new plants, new rocks, new substrate, but can I clean and use the tank, filter and heater??? I would like to have another betta...

And if so, what is the best way to disinfect everything?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #419 
ReeseInPieces

Can someone help out? Saw this post and immediately thought about this thread, the lesions not to sure about but the colouring.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=251873
ReeseInPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #420 
LittleBlueFishlets

Helena1 - I'm sorry for your loss.....

You should be able to clean the tank and heater. You may be able to clean the hard plastic parts of the filter. I would throw out the net, silk plants, rocks and gravel.

Here is some disinfection info:

1) Hot water is effective at killing Mycobacteria. The water must be kept at 65C (149F), or higher, for at LEAST 30 min. (1)
2) Soaking in alcohol (such as rubbing/isopropyl alcohol) for several hours kills it.
3) UV light (found in sunlight) kills it. (1), (2)
4) Bleach does not kill it, but can help remove any organic material or biofilms on hard surfaces (such as the tank, heater, filter casing).

There is an excellent write-up about disinfection protocols in this article. (See page 8): Mycobacterial Infections of Fish.

Wear gloves at all times. Nitrile is a good, and inexpensive, option. The gloves will protect you from both bacteria AND from the cleaning agents.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sources:
(1) MYCOBACTERIUM TUBERCULOSIS COMPLEX - PATHOGEN SAFETY DATA SHEET
(2) MYCOBACTERIUM SPP. - PATHOGEN SAFETY DATA SHEET
(3) Mycobacterial Infections of Fish
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote