Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #111 
Sakura8

It seems to be predominantly blue or teal blue bettas, yeah.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #112 
Xiuhcoati

Yes that was his color mainly. I only have a couple blues, and this is not the first time the disease has struck here...just first time I thought to take pics for confirmation. I also lost my Flag, a gorgeous full half moon with a perfect spread, best little personality you can imagine. He was teal, red and black with a white edging. So beautiful. I tested all the water parameters when he died, boiled everything fish related, wiped and sanitized till I was sure it was gone.

Then this one died. I jus got him a few days ago. He didn't even have a name yet. :(
Xiuhcoati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #113 
Xiuhcoati

Looks like taking him somewhere isn't feasible. I called everyone in my area, and those who are willing to do necropsies aren't willing to do them on tiny ornamental fish. :(
Old 09-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #114 
lelei

So, now there is a possibility that it is striking bettas with colors other than blue, or red/blue combination, :( scary..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #115 
lillyandquigly

:( My CHeng is blue and green and alot of other colors, so that's freaky. Thankfully Ferdy is orange so he hopefully us safe
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #116 
prodrumernate

oh,i need to keep a closer eye out ekkk..
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #117 
Xiuhcoati

Definitely keep an eye out, but keep in mind nothing's absolute. I'm very unsure of this disease, so I hate to scare people with what I think is the disease. I'm not a vet or anything, I've got no real idea.

I encourage everyone to examine their betta's fins closely twice daily. I just inspected mine, and I'll tell you I jumped out of my skin when I saw discoloration on one of my teals. I think its just that...discoloration...but we'll see.

Who all has a betta who died from it? What products do you use to treat the water? Do you have heat? A filter? What size is the tank? Is there gravel? Perhaps we can figure out if there's something else in common by simply putting together what we know.

Male that died:
1 gal aquarium with gravel, in a climate controlled room.
Fed: pellets mainly, once a day
Water changes: every 2-3 days, 100%
Filter: No
Tests for ammonia: usually not. Tested when first betta died thinking I wasn't changing water enough. Ammonia was 0, along with nitrites and nitrates. PH was a little alkaline. 7.2
Water conditioner: Prime

Anything similar here?
Old 09-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #118 
Xiuhcoati

Just an update: Blue stopped blowing bubbles today, and appears to have some gray. I'm taking photos and medicating, with any luck its just his natural color. x.x I'm also taking pictures of all my bettas NOW, so I can compare if they ever get sick.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #119 
Sakura8

What is pretty baffling about this disease is it happens to bettas who are kept in very good conditions. Most diseases are associated with poor water quality but as far as I'm aware, the majority of our victims were kept in clean water that was changed regularly.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #120 
prodrumernate

ive been keeping an eye on my 4 bettas.all r happy and moving around.but constantly inspecting their bodies..oh i really hope they figure things out soon and come up with a cure quick
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote