Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #151 
LorRenee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
LorRenee, how long before the other fish died? One of the key characteristics of this disease is how quickly it kills, typically before we can begin to medicate or provide any other help. Was the blue guy in the pic acting normally in the morning but sick when you came home, or was he acting kinda off in the morning as well?
The blue guy in my profile pic is the first fish that died. He showed little to no evidence of issues at 8am when I left for work. My fiancee noticed his black spot surrounding his forward fin around 3:30pm and by the time I got home at 5:45pm the necrosis had spread to nearly double the size. Dead by 1 am the following morning)

Quote:
Did you ever notice what color his beard was when he flared? It's possible that's not black mucous but his beard emerging as his gills work extra hard. If that IS black mucous then, I don't want to know what the insides of gills look like because it can't be good. :(
I'm not sure, the gills on the first fish were black, but jagged. We didn't open them up after the death to see it unfortunately.

Quote:
The good news is with the guy in the pic, I don't see the creeping gray necrosis. There's a little patch on his anal fin near the front but otherwise, he has a normal blue grizzle coloring. Pale but not graphite gray. Based on that, I might say this particular case isn't the mystery disease but perhaps a severe external parasite or columnaris infection. Either way, I would recommend getting him into 3 tsps of aquarium salt per gallon at about 78-80 F.

EDIT: LorRenee, just read your last post. Based on your descriptions, he should be okay without AQ salt until tomorrow.
Ok thanks. I'll try and get AQ salt tomorrow and I'll condition a smaller tank tonight to transfer him. He's listing at times, but I'm staring at the tank right now and he's very active. This is a sudden onset which is what worries me since he was perfectly fine earlier this morning.

Side question, would petco / petsmart stock AQ salt? Anything else to pick up while I'm there?
LorRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #152 
Coppermoon

Patience young padawans.....

I have actually dealt with this disease before. I have not cured it and the fish did die. As of April/May of last year, my BLUE fish room has had this in full force. Normally it was 1 fish, but now it have affected several. These fish are related, but not "directly". I spawned blue fish from different breeders. Starts out looking like fin rot and or Columnaris but meds do not work....right....

I've lost Monkey Face, Big Blue, Little Man, LM's unnamed juvie male (F2).

Who has it now...Convention Girl, Little Blue, DT girl, DT male and Daddy. All Blue.....

Symptoms:

Convention female: Black edging on mid anal from slight spawn damage. 12-24 hrs it was up to her belly, 12-24 hrs it was into her belly meat. (never presented the gray).

DTs and Daddy: Black edging and being eaten away with in 24-48 hrs.

Little Man actually presented the gray in his tail 24 hours before it fell off.

Fungus cure at about triple (or more) dose (1-10g tab per 1g, then 1/2 fresh "salted" water and 1/2 medicated water) has kept it at bay, but once you lower the medication and stop the salt, it come back worse.

I have a friend that has the DT girl (who has come down with it again even under HER care) and she is doing a swab smear and culture (Nursing School with microbiology background???), and her husband who is a High School Chemistry teacher and Adjent Professor, is doing a fin clipping under a microscope.

IF this doesn't provide anything, I have another friend that has access to a lab/lab tech...the whole 9 yards...that I will ask to send Little Blue to. He is still alive, but I'm willing to sacrifice him to find out what it is. I haven't been successful enough in raising fish to have been selling them, so if what I have comes back as something like TB, I will post it and all my fish will be destroyed.

My thoughts are a bit jumbled so forgive me...
I'm getting pix of those that have it right now, but until this thread, I didn't know anyone else was dealing with it.
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #153 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry, LorRenee. :(

Coppermoon, if you could get lab results on this and a positive result, I would be sooooo happy . . .

Yes, there was some discussion that this was the gourami iridovirus but I'm not sure. If it is the iridovirus, it makes sense that very little we do helps. As far as I'm aware, most viruses aren't treatable.

Also, I'd be very curious to know, if it is the iridovirus, why it only attacks blue bettas. Dang, I wish we could get a scientific grant to study this.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #154 
Coppermoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'm so sorry, LorRenee. :(

Coppermoon, if you could get lab results on this and a positive result, I would be sooooo happy . . .

Yes, there was some discussion that this was the gourami iridovirus but I'm not sure. If it is the iridovirus, it makes sense that very little we do helps. As far as I'm aware, most viruses aren't treatable.

Also, I'd be very curious to know, if it is the iridovirus, why it only attacks blue bettas. Dang, I wish we could get a scientific grant to study this.
At this point, I just want to ID if it is bacteria or fungus or virus....then we can figure out how to treat it.

I have pictures of everyone that has it, but my laptop doesn't have a port for my camera card so I have to wait until I get to work tomorrow.

I looked at images of gourami iridovirus and that is not even close to what I'm dealing with. None of mine have lesions.

Crossing fingers that something can be found by next week as to what I am dealing with.

Those that have it, keep all fins crossed!!!

Lori
Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #155 
Sakura8

Very much agreed, Coppermoon. Hope your fish hang in there!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #156 
Coppermoon

My avatar is one of the males I lost. That is Big Blue. He was placing 1st or 2nd in shows before he came down with it, so saving Little Blue is very important to me...but like I said, I'll sacrifice him if I have too.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #157 
Sakura8

:( I'm so sorry. You know, I just never thought about how devastating it would be for this disease to strike a shower/breeder. You not only lose a dear pet but a champion and potential breeder of champions too. A triple whammy. What an awful disease.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #158 
Alcemistnv

I just euthanized Buddha because of this disease. It's funny, I remember saying a few months ago about how I didn't want any of my boys, especially him, to get it....

He started with the fungus, and this morning the grey showed up. It progressed in a few hours, and he started swimming upside down at some points. He passed at 6:48pm today.

I'm just really upset about it because it was either I do it now, or he wakes up tomorrow covered in it and in pain....
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #159 
Sakura8

I am so sorry, Alchemistnv. :(
Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #160 
Alcemistnv

I'm happy to know he's okay now.

I just wish he was able to understand how much he has helped with my life. I'd probably be in such a terrible place if it wasn't for him.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote